First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Earth Now Has A (unofficial) Flag
Posted 5/26/15

seekerperson7 wrote:


IShouldBeStudying wrote:

people don't have a right to represent their own home? If they can represent a country why can't they represent the planet that the country resides on? lol


That isn't my biggest quip, but if I had to give a reason, I guess because it isn't ours.... That and we're not the the only ones who live here....

I'm not "one of those guys" ~ but there are even people who think that we're actually destroying this place. The fact that there are people who even think that gives me qualms about "representing it".

But, perhaps most importantly, it almost presumes a sense of "power" that we don't even have over it. I don't remember the exact number, but what was the percentage of the ocean that's still unexplored? 75%? 80%? Meanwhile typhoons, earthquakes,and tornadoes are still causing havoc in populated areas, as if Earth itself is saying "Ummm you don't own me just yet!"

A country represents a group of people, not the land those people inhabit - else flying a flag in enemy territory would be meaningless. A flag representing earth is inherently representing an inhabited object, not the people who inhabit it. This one reason why I said I could slightly understand a flag representing humanity, but not the Earth.


Who else is there?
6320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
Meh.

It's ok.
Posted 5/26/15

pandrasb wrote:

Who else is there?


A plethora of flora and fauna which eke out a living just like we do. From the perspective of the Earth, which is just a giant rock with an ecosystem, i'm sure we're not all that different.

Since, to the Earth, we're not all that different, why not give them a say in representing it as well? Oh wait... they can't. So let's just say we're representing the Earth when in reality we're just representing humanity anyway....
Posted 5/26/15

seekerperson7 wrote:


pandrasb wrote:

Who else is there?


A plethora of flora and fauna which eke out a living just like we do. From the perspective of the Earth, which is just a giant rock with an ecosystem, i'm sure we're not all that different.

Since, to the Earth, we're not all that different, why not give them a say in representing it as well? Oh wait... they can't. So let's just say we're representing the Earth when in reality we're just representing humanity anyway....


So it really doesn't matter, earth or humanity it's the same thing. I just think they're getting romantic about it by saying it's earth they are representing.

Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15

pandrasb wrote:


seekerperson7 wrote:


pandrasb wrote:

Who else is there?


A plethora of flora and fauna which eke out a living just like we do. From the perspective of the Earth, which is just a giant rock with an ecosystem, i'm sure we're not all that different.

Since, to the Earth, we're not all that different, why not give them a say in representing it as well? Oh wait... they can't. So let's just say we're representing the Earth when in reality we're just representing humanity anyway....


So it really doesn't matter, earth or humanity it's the same thing. I just think they're getting romantic about it by saying it's earth they are representing.



There's an important distinction there. Imagine if, say, the Democratic Republic of Congo all of a sudden deployed their new "flag of Africa". Or North Korea unveiled it's new "Flag of Korea" ~ heck, maybe they think their flag really is the flag of Korea, and if they did, we'd probably laugh at them because we know that's not the case...

I disagree that Earth and humanity are the same thing, however I agree with everything else you say. It's actually part of the reason why I called it presumptuous. But i'm clearly just being too nit-picky about this so i'll tone it down a bit.

I will admit that I may place more value on words than I should. Subtle nuances in words can have profound implications though - so I don't regret my pedantry.
Posted 5/26/15
now Aliens know which planet they are attacking
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15

seekerperson7 wrote:


pandrasb wrote:


seekerperson7 wrote:


pandrasb wrote:

Who else is there?


A plethora of flora and fauna which eke out a living just like we do. From the perspective of the Earth, which is just a giant rock with an ecosystem, i'm sure we're not all that different.

Since, to the Earth, we're not all that different, why not give them a say in representing it as well? Oh wait... they can't. So let's just say we're representing the Earth when in reality we're just representing humanity anyway....


So it really doesn't matter, earth or humanity it's the same thing. I just think they're getting romantic about it by saying it's earth they are representing.



There's an important distinction there. Imagine if, say, the Democratic Republic of Congo all of a sudden deployed their new "flag of Africa". Or North Korea unveiled it's new "Flag of Korea" ~ heck, maybe they think their flag really is the flag of Korea, and if they did, we'd probably laugh at them because we know that's not the case...

I disagree that Earth and humanity are the same thing, however I agree with everything else you say. It's actually part of the reason why I called it presumptuous. But i'm clearly just being too nit-picky about this so i'll tone it down a bit.

I will admit that I may place more value on words than I should. Subtle nuances in words can have profound implications though - so I don't regret my pedantry.


That is true but, sadly we're the only ones here dude, not a single life form on earth will objectify, they will not cry out, the earth will not suddenly attack us, aliens will not invade.
The only ones that would object would be ourselves.

I do think that it should be humanity though because it would make it easier for colonization.
So there should be separate flags one for earth and one for humanity. So then there is a Mars flag as well and then humanity, and so on and so forth. Then eventually it'd be earthlings and martians.

Aldnoah.Zero anyone lol
Posted 5/26/15

pandrasb wrote:

That is true but, sadly we're the only ones here dude, not a single life form on earth will objectify, they will not cry out, the earth will not suddenly attack us, aliens will not invade.
The only ones that would object would be ourselves.


True. I agree with you, though, for me it was never about being objectionable.

I'm not seriously arguing this out of some sort of respect for the Earth. I only value the Earth insofar as it supports us. The thing is just a rock. But I do very much like this rock ^_^

However, for me, it was more about just being "incorrect", and I think we as humans are uniquely able to appreciate that which is correct from that which is incorrect, even if the Earth doesn't.

lol - I'm probably not making any sense, as usual. I'm just not very good at explaining my opinions.

But, for example, the Earth wouldn't care if we thought i was shaped like a cube, but we should care because... well... it isn't.

Likewise we should care that we're supposedly representing the Earth because... well... we're not.

But I already concede ~ I give. I give. I already admitted that I was being pedantic T_T
Posted 5/27/15

seekerperson7 wrote:


pandrasb wrote:

That is true but, sadly we're the only ones here dude, not a single life form on earth will objectify, they will not cry out, the earth will not suddenly attack us, aliens will not invade.
The only ones that would object would be ourselves.


True. I agree with you, though, for me it was never about being objectionable.

I'm not seriously arguing this out of some sort of respect for the Earth. I only value the Earth insofar as it supports us. The thing is just a rock. But I do very much like this rock ^_^

However, for me, it was more about just being "incorrect", and I think we as humans are uniquely able to appreciate that which is correct from that which is incorrect, even if the Earth doesn't.

lol - I'm probably not making any sense, as usual. I'm just not very good at explaining my opinions.

But, for example, the Earth wouldn't care if we thought i was shaped like a cube, but we should care because... well... it isn't.

Likewise we should care that we're supposedly representing the Earth because... well... we're not.

But I already concede ~ I give. I give. I already admitted that I was being pedantic T_T


So sorry



I like this rock too, I totally get you.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/27/15 , edited 5/27/15
Looks similar to what my fishing reel looked like Sunday. Gordian knot.
39161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

crunchynaruto321 wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a flag with the Earth on it?


Which side of the planet would be featured?

Posted 5/27/15 , edited 5/27/15
What's the rush? The flag lacks a proper back story. Something special like this should be saved for special occasions such as global peace, not a fucking university assignment.
5056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:

Swedish student and artist, Oskar Pernefeldt, officially proposed the International Flag of the Planet Earth on May 2015.



"The design of the flag consists of seven rings intersecting each other and a deep-blue-sea in the background. The rings are centered on the flag forming a flower in the middle, representing life on Earth. The intersection of the rings represent that all things on Earth are linked directly or indirectly. Finally, the deep-blue represents the ocean and the importance of water for life on Earth."

Here's a video describing how the flag was created: https://vimeo.com/127694736

The flag's main purposes:
1) To be used while representing planet Earth.
2) To remind the people of Earth that we share this planet, no matter of national boundaries. That we should take care of each other and the planet we live on.
3) The creator predicts it will be eventually used in Mars landing in 2025 or in a future colony on that planet






Looks really nice honestly, hope we really do use it.


pffff the only flag of earth is a picture of the planet
Posted 5/27/15
That is terrible.

It's just a rip off of the Olympic thing.
5866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / behind you... Boo!
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

DeadlyOats wrote:


crunchynaruto321 wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a flag with the Earth on it?


Which side of the planet would be featured?



Kudos to this person, who just asked the million-dollar-question
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.