First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Visual Novel Discussion Thread
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Dixie USA ♡
Offline
Posted 1/23/16

Yamstarch wrote:

Dumb question, but I have never played a VN... I know I know... Anyways. Where do you even buy them?

Are they just digital downloads? Are they imports? What's the difference between Eroge and 18+ if any?

Sorry if I hi-jacked the thread a bit.


I just realized that my collection is 100% imports, lol. (( I like the omakes, thankies )) I get them from either Book Off online, Amazon Japan, or amiami.
15776 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 1/24/16

vivi-wannabe wrote:


Yamstarch wrote:

Dumb question, but I have never played a VN... I know I know... Anyways. Where do you even buy them?

Are they just digital downloads? Are they imports? What's the difference between Eroge and 18+ if any?

Sorry if I hi-jacked the thread a bit.


I just realized that my collection is 100% imports, lol. (( I like the omakes, thankies )) I get them from either Book Off online, Amazon Japan, or amiami.


Thanks for the info.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Dixie USA ♡
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

no prob! My routine is pretty much:

brand new game? preorder from amiami (or CDjapan) ((both have loyalty programs, but if I remember correctly CDJ is more generous. But amiami has better omake/prices))
already released? Book Off.
Book Off doesn't have it? amazon japan seller.
29 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
In case some of you haven't seen my post here, there's actually a very interesting visual novel in the process of Kickstarter right now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/root-double-before-crime-after-days-xtend-edition
5813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/26/16

Yamstarch wrote:

Dumb question, but I have never played a VN... I know I know... Anyways. Where do you even buy them?

Are they just digital downloads? Are they imports? What's the difference between Eroge and 18+ if any?

Sorry if I hi-jacked the thread a bit.


The PSP has a decent library of VNs. Sweet Fuse, Hakouri, Fate etc. Vita is starting so get quite a few too (Stein's gate, Norn9, Code Realize, DraganRopa). You can get them on amazon/PSN.
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 2/22/16
I want to play Grisaia and Aokana VN's, but I have a Mac, so that's not happening.....ever..
27803 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 2/23/16
So has anyone picked up the new volume of Nekopara and if so, how was it? I played through it over the weekend and enjoyed it immensely, H-scenes and all.
9765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Twilight Town
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

farispie wrote:

So I figured, that generally visual novels are often discussed in anime that are adapted from theM, and I figured it'd be nice to have a dedicated thread to them. So any favorite visual novels? What do you think this medium offers that no other medium can? Opinions on anime adaptations? Any visual novels you are looking forward to ? Any translations you wish were here already?



I am still quite new to visual novels, I have only played the Danganronpa series, Zero, Hakuoki and maybe a couple more, I recently picked up code relize and another one fort the Vita I will eventually get too them. Visual novels is a genre that I hope to get more games.
22102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/16 , edited 2/27/16

djgamer2012 wrote:


farispie wrote:

So I figured, that generally visual novels are often discussed in anime that are adapted from theM, and I figured it'd be nice to have a dedicated thread to them. So any favorite visual novels? What do you think this medium offers that no other medium can? Opinions on anime adaptations? Any visual novels you are looking forward to ? Any translations you wish were here already?



I am still quite new to visual novels, I have only played the Danganronpa series, Zero, Hakuoki and maybe a couple more, I recently picked up code relize and another one fort the Vita I will eventually get too them. Visual novels is a genre that I hope to get more games.


Well if you liked dangan ronpa, you might like pretty much what is considered THE mystery visual novel(s)- umineko and its sequel umineko chiru. Its known for having a multi-layered narrative, amazing characters, best music in the VN scene, and its also unique in that the answer is not directly revealed to the reader.

OP for it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXvdVkP5iAE

You can get it for the PC, and there's this PS3 patch that adds voice acting, updated sprites, and backgorund images from the PS3 version of the game.
9765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Twilight Town
Offline
Posted 2/28/16

farispie wrote:


djgamer2012 wrote:


farispie wrote:

So I figured, that generally visual novels are often discussed in anime that are adapted from theM, and I figured it'd be nice to have a dedicated thread to them. So any favorite visual novels? What do you think this medium offers that no other medium can? Opinions on anime adaptations? Any visual novels you are looking forward to ? Any translations you wish were here already?



I am still quite new to visual novels, I have only played the Danganronpa series, Zero, Hakuoki and maybe a couple more, I recently picked up code relize and another one fort the Vita I will eventually get too them. Visual novels is a genre that I hope to get more games.


Well if you liked dangan ronpa, you might like pretty much what is considered THE mystery visual novel(s)- umineko and its sequel umineko chiru. Its known for having a multi-layered narrative, amazing characters, best music in the VN scene, and its also unique in that the answer is not directly revealed to the reader.

OP for it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXvdVkP5iAE

You can get it for the PC, and there's this PS3 patch that adds voice acting, updated sprites, and backgorund images from the PS3 version of the game.


Thanks I will have to check them out, how do you get your Visual Novel games on PC, do you use steam? Or another site,
22102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/16

djgamer2012 wrote:


farispie wrote:


djgamer2012 wrote:


farispie wrote:

So I figured, that generally visual novels are often discussed in anime that are adapted from theM, and I figured it'd be nice to have a dedicated thread to them. So any favorite visual novels? What do you think this medium offers that no other medium can? Opinions on anime adaptations? Any visual novels you are looking forward to ? Any translations you wish were here already?



I am still quite new to visual novels, I have only played the Danganronpa series, Zero, Hakuoki and maybe a couple more, I recently picked up code relize and another one fort the Vita I will eventually get too them. Visual novels is a genre that I hope to get more games.


Well if you liked dangan ronpa, you might like pretty much what is considered THE mystery visual novel(s)- umineko and its sequel umineko chiru. Its known for having a multi-layered narrative, amazing characters, best music in the VN scene, and its also unique in that the answer is not directly revealed to the reader.

OP for it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXvdVkP5iAE

You can get it for the PC, and there's this PS3 patch that adds voice acting, updated sprites, and backgorund images from the PS3 version of the game.


Thanks I will have to check them out, how do you get your Visual Novel games on PC, do you use steam? Or another site,


It really really depends on the visual novel in question. So basically right now there are big three companies that officially localize visual novels- Sekai Project, Mangagamer, and JAST USA. Sekai Project pretty much puts all the visual novels it localizes on Steam. Mangagamer sometimes does it, but otherwise you can get it from their website. JAST pretty much you can get their visual novels only from their website.

However, while this has changed alot in the last two years or so , 5-6 years ago most visual novels weren't officially localized and you had to resort to either buying the game from Japan or pirating it, then applying a fan translation. Umineko isn't officially localized, so you basically have to either buy the game from Japan or just pirate it, then apply the PS3fication fan translation patch (found on umineko tweak). Mangagamer use to have a contract with 07th expansion to sell the Japanese version of the Umineko games (at a reasonable price, as opposed to the ridiculous prices of importing the games directly from Japan), but their contract is over, so you can't do that anymore.

95164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/3/16
I just picked up Fault Milestone One in the steam store

Haven't got too far in it yet but it's really interesting so far, Ritona has my attention as protagonist I like her design and I think it would be gorgeous to see her magic and fighting style animated.
24637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / California
Offline
Posted 7/26/16
I got traumatized in Umineko because of Higurashi and its anime... perhaps not really my kind of genre...

Anyway, just got back to Visual Novel scene again since there were a few yuri/shoujo ai/GL visual novels that came out this year and basically got in Zero Escape which is a both a puzzle/visual novel game.

But before, I enjoyed playing Memories Off 4 Sorekara, Final Approach 2 & Solfege, adding to the yuri VNs are Sonohanabira series and Hakuisei Ren'ai Shoukougun. Well, it was because it was easier to read with than most other VNs (except Hakuisei).. yes less kanji and voiced VNs are the best ^_^v hehe. Well, either way I was basically very in the mood and patient during that time when I read them.

Recently finished Zero Escape series and Nurse Love Addiction (Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou), and currently playing both Highway Blossoms & Kindred Spirit on the Roof.

I quite enjoyed playing Zero Escape... there were a lot of mysteries/theories to think about after each game. hehe. Just love the story and twists.

For Nurse Love Addiction, I quite enjoyed it, since I played the 1st game before (Hakuisei Ren'ai Shoukougun), it was a bit nostalgic playing NLA. But NLA is quite different from the 1st, and I really quite and love the protagonist in NLA, she's a ditz, but says what's on her mind at time and not a total hopeless. I guess, she's better than the timid protagonist of Hakuisei Ren'ai Shoukougun who was a more timid.

Highway Blossoms is locally US made and that goes with the setting although it's not voiced but the characters are quite interesting. I'm halfway through.. so we'll see.

Kindred Spirits of the Roof.. This is quite fun and fluffy, I haven't seen 1 H-scene yet ^_^;; but the development is quite amusing, since you are seeing it through different perspective not just the protagonist itself but other girls. It's simply a yuritopia.

I just bought the Sonohanabira (A Kiss for the Petals) - from Steam, I haven't started it.. but I played a few hrs of the untranslated version before... and it's Sonohana... it will be awesome either way. ^_^
13284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/1/16 , edited 8/1/16
So I just realized recently that VNs are actual games and not audio book versions of light novels. I know right.... So, anyway I was thinking about trying some out, and the ones on google play look kind of sucky. Do any of you have any suggestions of one I might want to start out with, where I should look to dl VNs from (on pc), etc.?
150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 9/7/16
Fruit of Grisaia is on sale at half price on Steam. Needless to say, it's in my library now.

I have to say that it's the only visual novel that has me hooked and makes me want to keep going back for more. I want to finish every girl's route, which is a rarity for me. Pretty much any of the Grisaia girls would make for good waifu material. However, I'm going to wait until I finish the game before I declare a Bestgirl though. I need to get to know them better before I declare a new waifu.

I have about a dozen other VNs between Steam and my DS/3DS, but none of them have me hooked the way that Grisaia has. (Loveplus is a close second though... I'm planning on replaying my imported DS version sometime in the near future. I'm pretty disappointed that the 3DS version is region-locked though ).
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.