First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Why are people positive about being called an Otaku?
3286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Norway
Offline
Posted 5/29/15 , edited 6/8/15
Because they don't give a fck.
Posted 5/29/15

DanteVSTheWorld wrote:


anzn wrote:

That was irrelevant.
Stop crying about women on every single thread on here.


Actually it's related to the image he posted, it's kinda funny...but oh of course, I forgot I must regulate my comments to make you feel comfortable. Here's a cringy male one, for your equality needs. Maybe a White-Knight just like this will come and save you one day.







anzn wrote:

You are so kind.


Aww
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 5/29/15


Odd that japan would hate otaku's since they actually invented the Otaku culture. I'm english, so that's like me saying "don't you just hate all those limeys?" That doesn't make any sense at all o.o

Also, there is an International Otaku Day so it can't be that bad a term.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/29/15
I'm a proud Otaku, let the insults come!
9565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Laguna Hills, Cal...
Offline
Posted 5/29/15

AiYumega wrote:


Aeso wrote:


AiYumega wrote:

Same as being "nerdy" in the US. It went from a bad term to a fun term.


Says the nerd


I am like 0% of a nerd at all. And
People like this --

I don't call myself a nerd, thats what Im trying to say.





Wow, way to be pretentious you douche. Hope you drown in a bowl of soup
Posted 5/29/15 , edited 5/29/15

eclair-lumiere wrote:



Odd that japan would hate otaku's since they actually invented the Otaku culture. I'm english, so that's like me saying "don't you just hate all those limeys?" That doesn't make any sense at all o.o

Also, there is an International Otaku Day so it can't be that bad a term.

Well, anime has gotten pretty shitty over the years. The anime industry focuses on one audience, which is the otaku audience. Its frustrating for other audiences to watch bc they often have anime tropes they can't understand if they dont regularly watch anime already, so its annoying. Also anime is nothing like real life, so otaku are totally disconnected with reality. Japanese seem to hate it when other Japanese people kinda sorta just, deny their culture. Their real culture. Which is not Otaku culture.
9565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Laguna Hills, Cal...
Offline
Posted 5/29/15

kimchino wrote:


anzn wrote:

imo it's like wearing those "im with stupid" shirts but the arrow is pointing to yourself.

& lol that is true. Especially when they use one or two Japanese words in a sentence then the rest is in English.


this video, case closed lol https://youtu.be/OFQQALduhzA?t=28s


Bro too funny! Its sooo true tho!
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 5/29/15


Anime still seems pretty decent to me. I know there's a lot of anime series with otaku references in such as Watamote, but there's still anime series that don't do that and actually have a plot. There's also quite a few slice-of-life anime series that are similar to reality. But isn't that the whole point of watching any tv show? You want it to be unlike the reality you know, otherwise what is the point in watching it?

Ultimately, it's only the anime series that do well in Japan that manage to make it overseas so they still think about the Japanese audience first. It might not their whole culture, but it is still a part of their culture, and something their country invented.

I don't know what anime's popularity is like in America, Canada or european countries, but it's still tough being an otaku in England. There's so many great anime series that will probably never be released over here. The series that do come out we normally have to wait many years for it to reach us. And a lot of the "complete collections" are not complete. We're always missing a bonus short or an OVA or two. If they are focusing on overseas audiences, it's certainly not us brits.
32709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / So-Cal
Offline
Posted 5/29/15
Why must this thread always pop up smh lol, its like saying don't call me a jock, call me a sports athlete, cause i love playing sports otaku isn't a bad term over here get over it. There are types in this world, whether you love movies, sports, dramas, anime, photography they all have a name, just love what you do and brush off the haters and smile
Posted 5/29/15

eclair-lumiere wrote:

Anime still seems pretty decent to me. I know there's a lot of anime series with otaku references in such as Watamote, but there's still anime series that don't do that and actually have a plot. There's also quite a few slice-of-life anime series that are similar to reality. But isn't that the whole point of watching any tv show? You want it to be unlike the reality you know, otherwise what is the point in watching it?

Ultimately, it's only the anime series that do well in Japan that manage to make it overseas so they still think about the Japanese audience first. It might not their whole culture, but it is still a part of their culture, and something their country invented.

I don't know what anime's popularity is like in America, Canada or european countries, but it's still tough being an otaku in England. There's so many great anime series that will probably never be released over here. The series that do come out we normally have to wait many years for it to reach us. And a lot of the "complete collections" are not complete. We're always missing a bonus short or an OVA or two. If they are focusing on overseas audiences, it's certainly not us brits.


Oh no no no I really mean like, Anime trying to appeal to outside audiences, mostly. But people don't like it because it seems unrealistic. Like, Japanese girls aren't submissive, or have high pitched voices, like a lot of animes seem to make them though. Like yeah it's part of the Japanese culture I guess, but they don't like it. They don't want it to define them.
I remember reading about how when Japan creates their animes & games they usually like to stick with using the Japanese traditions/cultures(?) I think that's how you say it. Which is why a lot of them still keep the honorifics & names even in fictional universes.
Also yeah that is true. But apparently, Japan thinks anime fans outside of Japan are like, so minuscule?? Even though clearly, there are a pretty big amount of people here, that I know of in America anyway, loves anime. They don't make much money for anime English dubbed I guess, which is probably why we only get the anime already popular in Japan dubbed. I think it's because of the fact most of us watch/downloaded animes online for free that are pirated. Crunchyroll is probably the only anime streaming site that actually will make money for the anime industry in Japan. Also Japan seems to love America for some reason, which is why they probably ignore Europe or it just gets there very late compared to us. :/
Also it seems like they fairly recently (like probably in the last 5 years at the most) noticed the outside audience is bigger than they think it is. Because we are now getting more Japanese games translated outside of the JRPG, Action & Fighting genre. Like that Miku Rhythm game & some visual novels.
So, they really don't focus much on audiences overseas, but I think they are at least starting to notice we want more anime & games to be dubbed/translated & brought over here.
185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Somewhere... I Th...
Offline
Posted 5/29/15
I know I like to call myself one; either that or a nerd/geek because it's something that I can easily identify with. I never saw them as negative terms, I just saw them as "well I like all of this so much that this is just an easier quick term to use". And I just love who I am, I can't think of a reason why I would think it's wrong to be an otaku or a nerd or a geek when I have so much fun with it.
2352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / A state of content
Offline
Posted 5/30/15
Because there either ignorant about what the true meaning of the word is, or they're just so weeabooish that they don't even give a crap.
5319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / in ur heart
Offline
Posted 5/30/15
I think they forget the meaning of these words, or the meaning is dull, so they accept it very quickly.
Personally I think everyone should try to be themselves! I'm always myself but I have a huge passion
for anime and the culture as a whole. I'm not gonna sacrifice myself or my identity for it though . It's
easy for people to identify with the culture because it's something they love or enjoy- so to them being
called a weeaboo or otaku just means "hey you like anime and japan a lot" and they're like "hell yeah I
do!!", without realizing the negative connotation. Honestly I'll never make fun of someone who calls
themselves one though... maybe they just have a different idea of the word. You gotta think of both
sides of the story :3

29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/30/15
I guess people learned to accept it or they just don't know the meaning of it. Or maybe they've always wanted to be an otaku and you saying it confirmed.
29382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 5/30/15
I can't say I understand why people proudly call themselves Otaku's. I would assume that it's because it's equated with being a nerd, which isn't really a bad thing. People in this thread seem to think that there's nothing wrong with proudly calling oneself an Otaku simply because the word translates to Nerd or Geek. One could proudly call themselves a Nerd or a Geek and only get a few funny looks. While the word itself and what it means isn't bad, what's associated with the word itself is. In Japan, Otaku's are basically basement dwellers. People who don't do anything productive, are generally loners and shut-ins who have an extreme obsession with Anime/Manga and do nothing but read manga and/or watch anime all day.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.