Post Reply Good Online Manga Sites? (Legit ones)
10548 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 6/3/15
I love CR but our manga selection is slim pickings. I realize I could just buy manga online but as we know they are incredibly expensive and I only want to purchase ones I really enjoy. Is there a site that will allow me to pay a member fee for access to a large digital library of manga?


Any help would be welcome thanks. :)

mnmike 
19129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/3/15
The only other one I've used is MangaBox. They aren't any better than CR, but it's different--although I've noticed that it tends to skew a little towards more mature manga.
Posted 6/3/15
discussing and posting about illegal scan sites are against the cr rules
One Punch Mod
85792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/3/15 , edited 6/3/15

crazyfirefly wrote:

I love CR but our manga selection is slim pickings. I realize I could just buy manga online but as we know they are incredibly expensive and I only want to purchase ones I really enjoy. Is there a site that will allow me to pay a member fee for access to a large digital library of manga?


Any help would be welcome thanks.


I've moved this to the Advice, Info, Recommendation forum. I don't know of any legit places with a huge selection, even for a fee. Like mnmike I read MangaBox (which is free; published by Kodansha). I also subscribe to Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump, though currently I only read a couple of the titles there (it was just $15 for me to renew for the the year so still worth it since occasionally they add something new either a regular feature or one shots or things they are just trying out-- and I'm glad I had a chance to try them).

Both of those, unlike CR, are anthologies, so you're just getting current chapters week by week (or month by month for some titles). With MangaBox the issues expire after 3 months (with Viz, your access to issues since your subscribe date doesn't expire).

Oh, there is one other -- Comic Walker (free; published by Kadokawa). I thought everything I saw there was crap, and it's basically more of a sampler than a way to read a whole series at once (unless you outright buy it) . It looked to me like only some of the series it features are ones that they regularly update with new chapters to read, but I admit I haven't really explored it very thoroughly.



kimchino wrote:

discussing and posting about illegal scan sites are against the cr rules


That's true, but she's asking for legit sources. I've updated the title to make that more obvious

79737 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 6/4/15
I use Comic Walker, though I agree with lorreen that it can be a mixed bag, especially if you can't read Japanese. The titles, and there are quite a few, that update the most are only in Japanese. This is where I keep up-to-date on Seki-kun. Unfortunately, a lot of the back issues aren't available unless you buy them.

GEN Manga has a number of free issues. I haven't gone through it thoroughly.
http://www.genmanga.com/issues/index.html

Almost everything else is primarily paid, with just sampler issues.
10548 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 6/5/15

lorreen wrote:


crazyfirefly wrote:

I love CR but our manga selection is slim pickings. I realize I could just buy manga online but as we know they are incredibly expensive and I only want to purchase ones I really enjoy. Is there a site that will allow me to pay a member fee for access to a large digital library of manga?


Any help would be welcome thanks.


I've moved this to the Advice, Info, Recommendation forum. I don't know of any legit places with a huge selection, even for a fee. Like mnmike I read MangaBox (which is free; published by Kodansha). I also subscribe to Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump, though currently I only read a couple of the titles there (it was just $15 for me to renew for the the year so still worth it since occasionally they add something new either a regular feature or one shots or things they are just trying out-- and I'm glad I had a chance to try them).

Both of those, unlike CR, are anthologies, so you're just getting current chapters week by week (or month by month for some titles). With MangaBox the issues expire after 3 months (with Viz, your access to issues since your subscribe date doesn't expire).

Oh, there is one other -- Comic Walker (free; published by Kadokawa). I thought everything I saw there was crap, and it's basically more of a sampler than a way to read a whole series at once (unless you outright buy it) . It looked to me like only some of the series it features are ones that they regularly update with new chapters to read, but I admit I haven't really explored it very thoroughly.



kimchino wrote:

discussing and posting about illegal scan sites are against the cr rules


That's true, but she's asking for legit sources. I've updated the title to make that more obvious



Thanks for your help. Also I didn't realize that was against the rules...I should probably check up on those since the last time I read them was around eight years ago...


deadpanditto wrote:

I use Comic Walker, though I agree with lorreen that it can be a mixed bag, especially if you can't read Japanese. The titles, and there are quite a few, that update the most are only in Japanese. This is where I keep up-to-date on Seki-kun. Unfortunately, a lot of the back issues aren't available unless you buy them.

GEN Manga has a number of free issues. I haven't gone through it thoroughly.
http://www.genmanga.com/issues/index.html

Almost everything else is primarily paid, with just sampler issues.


Thank You! I'll definitely check it out.
You must be logged in to post.