First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply DBZ where should it have ended??
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/5/15
I don't think it really matters. Dragon Ball is a series that's very difficult to take all that seriously most of the time, it's just fun as hell to watch. Most people who really enjoy the series seem to be either young enough to where the story seems genuinely engaging enough to offset its many absurdities, or have the Dragon Ball world so deeply embedded in their nostalgia database that they're unlikely to try to ruin their own enjoyment of the series with an overly-critical approach to it.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised there are people who can take something as campy as Dragon Ball seriously enough to analyze where it jumped the shark. Really only a couple of characters from Pilaf to Buu Sagas (most notably Vegeta) underwent long-term development with any kind of real direction. I mean, on the whole, each arc probably TRIED to be a bit more serious than the last, but even in the final arc, the villain started out as just this fat pink asshole who turns people into chocolate.
51341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 6/5/15
It should have ended with the Cell saga when Gohan became the first SSJ 2. With Goku gone, Gohan was the new main character and defender of earth... And then some stupid crybabies complained that Goku was gone, so Akira Toriyama brought him back, or so I've heard.
13881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/5/15
After Goku and Chichi fixed that oven or kettle or whatever it was with beewax.
158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / US
Offline
Posted 6/5/15
DBZ should never have happened. Dragon Ball and DBZ are so different from one another it's hard to see it's the same franchise.
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/5/15

CyberX-1 wrote:

DBZ should never have happened. Dragon Ball and DBZ are so different from one another it's hard to see it's the same franchise.


I don't know, I've been doing my first full-series re-watch lately. Didn't seem like it got all that stylistically distinct from late Dragon Ball until halfway or so through the Freezer Saga (though I guess what came after that point does obviously constitute the substantial majority of Z). Still, Raditz showing up didn't exactly feel like a watershed in the overall atmosphere of the series.
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/5/15
HAHA

I don't think Dragon Ball Z should have ended. Period!

I felt like they should of continued on from the Dragon Ball Z since it was this particular series that pulled me in the first place. I felt like that's where most of the fan base started was from watching the Dragon Ball Z. It was a big mistake ending it off and then start a whole new series that takes place in space (Dragon Ball GT wtf).
24267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/15

colorfulhoudini wrote:


MysticGon wrote:

Cell Saga. Passing the torch on to Gohan. Poetic as hell. But no... Now if you claim Dragon Ball has good writing people will laugh out loud in your face.


Thank God I was not the only one who thought the same thing. Gohan was one of the most powerful Z fighters and the treatment he received during the Buu Saga was laughable.


It was within character but Toriyama could have easily made that a turning point for Gohan and make him more like he was in the Bojack movie or the Future Trunks special. But no, Goku has to be the main character. Maybe the editors had something to do with that.
xxJing 
37189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 6/6/15
I stopped watching after the Cell saga actually. That was the last one I saw of Z. I did watch GT, it was actually one of the first animes I pirated back in the early 2000 era though.

People seem to hate GT but I actually rather liked how it went with sort of an adventure story-line and everything. It was a bit of a mess but a nice change of pace if you ask me.

Right now I have to say that DBZ just doesn't interest me anymore. I've kind of grown out of it. I'd say both Naruto and One Piece have much better stories.
24267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/15 , edited 6/6/15

xxJing wrote:

I stopped watching after the Cell saga actually. That was the last one I saw of Z. I did watch GT, it was actually one of the first animes I pirated back in the early 2000 era though.

People seem to hate GT but I actually rather liked how it went with sort of an adventure story-line and everything. It was a bit of a mess but a nice change of pace if you ask me.

Right now I have to say that DBZ just doesn't interest me anymore. I've kind of grown out of it. I'd say both Naruto and One Piece have much better stories.


Nice Radiata Stories avatar.

GT started out really good I thought but again it gave the shaft to a character I was looking forward to seeing more of and focused on Goku. Uub was a really interesting character. A human who is as strong as a Saiyan? That would have been amazing.
xxJing 
37189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 6/6/15

MysticGon wrote:


xxJing wrote:

I stopped watching after the Cell saga actually. That was the last one I saw of Z. I did watch GT, it was actually one of the first animes I pirated back in the early 2000 era though.

People seem to hate GT but I actually rather liked how it went with sort of an adventure story-line and everything. It was a bit of a mess but a nice change of pace if you ask me.

Right now I have to say that DBZ just doesn't interest me anymore. I've kind of grown out of it. I'd say both Naruto and One Piece have much better stories.


Nice Radiata Stories avatar.

GT started out really good I thought but again it gave the shaft to a character I was looking forward to seeing more of and focused on Goku. Uub was a really interesting character. A human who is as strong as a Saiyan? That would have been amazing.


I think that Shuiesha was set on sticking to the formula that had made Dragon Ball Z so popular and that was the problem for me. It just rinsed and repeated Goku getting his ass kicked, powering up, then kicking the enemy's ass, at which point the enemy goes through like 1000 different forms, starts to win, but then Goku just barely beats him at the end. It's kind of mind numbing really.

As far as the avatar, I loved Ganz. He was such a nice guy, but such a tragic character, you just can't help but feel sorry for him.
24267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/15


And that is exactly why I'm not even a little bit interested in Dragon Ball Super even if Toriyama is attached to the project. Only thing I feel is motivating the series right now is greed.
59071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/15

maxgale wrote:

After Goku & Piccolo learned to drive.


You're my hero. Also, the dragon ball universe should never die! I'm all for it starting again. More screaming! More power! More Kamehamehas!
25055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / [ ᴄʟᴀssɪғɪᴇᴅ ]
Offline
Posted 6/6/15

Cell saga for me..... but hey, still wont mind checkin' Resurrection "F"
ta11ey 
14639 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/15



And that is exactly why I'm not even a little bit interested in Dragon Ball Super even if Toriyama is attached to the project. Only thing I feel is motivating the series right now is greed.


I'm going to chime in right here and say, NO. Naturally money is a factor in why it's being done, but it's for the people that want more Dragonball. Toriyama has enough money from Dragonball and Dragon Quest, that if he wanted to retire he could. They saw that Battle of Gods was a success, so they got Toriyama to do Resurrection F and Super. It's as simple as that.

As for the topic on hand, it doesn't matter to me. I loved Freeza, Cell and Buu. I feel like either of them could have been the final villain. But if you're talking about Gohans character Cell would have been a good place to end it. But I was never thinking of only Gohan. There's Vegeta too. His character was done a service in the Buu saga. And when it's all said and done Gohan, Vegeta AND Goku are the main characters.
13047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / my comfy womfy be...
Offline
Posted 6/6/15
after chi chi and goku got maried JK it shouldve ended when it ended wth dbz was awesome start to finish
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.