First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Should English become the U.S.A.'s National Official Language?
5141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/5/15
This...


EDIT: I need to teach myself how to forum. Its been about 12 years, My apologies.
75434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 6/5/15

jeffcoatstephen wrote:

Over 229 million people know English in the United States and 31 states have already made English their official language so why hasn't the whole country? I believe English should be the official language and that Spanish shouldn't even be used for states who don't have many Spanish speakers. Why should I have to press 1 to choose English? Our founding fathers, the European ones, spoke English. It annoys me that we are allowing Spanish to become popular. Anyway... what are your thoughts on English being the official US language?


It's your country. knock yourselves out. having official languanges hasn't saved my country from the 'push 1 for english' situation. I should note however.

10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/6/15

Valkyrie4Hire wrote:

No I don't think it should. I am first generation american whose family is from England, but america wasn't built on the backs of Americans! How could we be so self centered to think that English is the only language. I grew up in city where Korean was spoken more than English was and I am more than comfortable with that. Some towns its Italian, others Spanish, and so on. America was built on the backs of many who came here for a better life. To pick one language over all and says its better than the rest is a joke when most people who thump their chests claiming " 'Merica." cant even use the language properly.


I'm native and I believe that English should be the official government language.

27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 6/5/15

cleruninja wrote:

Should English become the U.S.A.'s National Official Language?
This idea is so awful, I can barely even consider that a valid sentence.
The country isn't bigoted enough already? Now we should pass laws making bigotry mandatory?
Should we pass a law making male the national official gender?


If I may I disagree with the bigotry statement. Russia official language is Russian, Germany German and so forth. Does having the most common language of a nation make them bigots for making said language the official one? I would ask what would be the harm of making the most common language the official one, it should be to everyone's benefit to learn the most common language of a country your planning to live in.
5141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/5/15

VZ68 wrote:


Valkyrie4Hire wrote:

No I don't think it should. I am first generation american whose family is from England, but america wasn't built on the backs of Americans! How could we be so self centered to think that English is the only language. I grew up in city where Korean was spoken more than English was and I am more than comfortable with that. Some towns its Italian, others Spanish, and so on. America was built on the backs of many who came here for a better life. To pick one language over all and says its better than the rest is a joke when most people who thump their chests claiming " 'Merica." cant even use the language properly.


I'm native and I believe that English should be the official government language.



But does it really make a difference? What purpose does it hold in all honesty? Most people learn or already know English as it is. I went to Japan several years ago and met plenty of people who spoke English, and French as a matter of fact, and no one was upset with me that I didn't speak Japanese. There are so much more than just Americans here. I think it could be seen as disrespectful to a lot of people who gave just as much to this country to say that English is better than there native tongue. If its not necessary to have one then why not just stay as we are. We have all made it this far without having an "Official Language."
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 6/5/15


Savings in DMV printing costs alone would be massive. Wanna guess how many different languages AND translators the government has to pay for?

I could care less what you speak at home or work or anywhere else. But in order to do business with the government as a citizen, you need to speak English.
8701 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Definitely not EU
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/6/15
Well English is the most globally recognized and spoken language, so why not.
27824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/5/15

Valkyrie4Hire wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


Valkyrie4Hire wrote:

No I don't think it should. I am first generation american whose family is from England, but america wasn't built on the backs of Americans! How could we be so self centered to think that English is the only language. I grew up in city where Korean was spoken more than English was and I am more than comfortable with that. Some towns its Italian, others Spanish, and so on. America was built on the backs of many who came here for a better life. To pick one language over all and says its better than the rest is a joke when most people who thump their chests claiming " 'Merica." cant even use the language properly.


I'm native and I believe that English should be the official government language.



But does it really make a difference? What purpose does it hold in all honesty? Most people learn or already know English as it is. I went to Japan several years ago and met plenty of people who spoke English, and French as a matter of fact, and no one was upset with me that I didn't speak Japanese. There are so much more than just Americans here. I think it could be seen as disrespectful to a lot of people who gave just as much to this country to say that English is better than there native tongue. If its not necessary to have one then why not just stay as we are. We have all made it this far without having an "Official Language."


This far... there will be some type of trouble in the future when Spanish becomes more frequently used. If the US makes English it's official language we won't have to worry about that. Just picture this example... English versus Spanish on which is better. Knowing the Spanish speaking people they will end up trying to force the US into making Spanish the official language. They are predicting that Hispanics will be the majority which I pray never happens. I rather have mix Caucasian/African than Hispanics who illegally come into our country and rob us of good jobs, health care, and everything else.
7229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/6/15


There is a political group in America that can't argue their beliefs like civil people, so they resort to personal attacks and playing the race card (even though it has nothing to do with race.) when they see someone with a different viewpoint speak out. Their feels override all common sense and logic.
27824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/5/15

DanteVSTheWorld wrote:

Well English is the most globally recognized and spoken language, so why not.


What's your picture from? She is so adorable and makes me think of "My Love Story!"
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 6/5/15
If there were a language that was tied with American culture and history, I think it should be an official language - but English isn't that. The language was born in another place from a group that we essentially broke away from, and the language hasn't changed in the states enough for it to become another language entirely. Official languages are usually more of a cultural thing: Ireland, for example, has Irish as its first official language despite English being the language most commonly spoken.

Aside from that, a very central idea of the United States in the early days (and the reason no official language was designated) was that it should be a country for all kinds of people with all kinds of backgrounds. Choosing an official languages flies in the face of that a little and discourages diversity. I suppose that point is a little moot considering that declaring it an official language wouldn't really change much; all government documents are created in English and schools already teach English.


eclair-lumiere wrote:

Although to be fair, in that accent it's hardly real English. I put subtitles on american films because otherwise I can't understand


American English has actually changed relatively little over time. A majority of the English population that came to the Americas spoke a rhotic dialect that has since heavily declined in England. So, the general American accent was actually born in England; others, though, like Appalachian or New York accents were influenced heavily by other languages and dialects of English.
27824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/5/15

Xxanthar wrote:



There is a political group in America that can't argue their beliefs like civil people, so they resort to personal attacks and playing the race card (even though it has nothing to do with race.) when they see someone with a different viewpoint speak out. Their feels override all common sense and logic.


I hate people who pull the race card. Not everyone has to like you. If people don't like African Americans they don't have to BUT that doesn't mean the can be disrespectful and say rude stuff about them. Now if they want to ignore them or move away (sit further away), I see no problem whatsoever. Many African Americans make me nervous because I'm used to being near only Caucasians since I grew up with just Caucasians. I do have some African American friends but I put up a higher wall to protect myself from any danger.
5141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/5/15
Ive lived in both Southern California and now Florida where English is a 2nd language in all honesty. I suppose I can understand for the sake of government and all that (the DMV argument etc) But do we really think that will make a difference as far as day to day life? I still get a quizzical "que?" when I ask someone what kind of haircut they want on their dog at work. You may save money on paper but that's not money you or I will ever see. As far as we are concerned, changing the official language of america will make no difference, so why bother? If anything its just another reason to tax us.
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 6/5/15
No it should be German or Japanese.
Sogno- 
45766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/5/15 , edited 6/5/15
it isn't already well i feel dumb lol

well idc either way whatever i speak american
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.