Post Reply Why was I banned from the livestream?
20786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/7/15 , edited 6/7/15
Here's the exact thing I got banned for, I had not been acting up prior to using this ascii art, nor had I offended a single person.


(̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄ the name's dong , james dong (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿


^ This is literally what I was banned for.
Now, I was having fun communicating with the people at the convention and it bothered me quite a bit that someone abused their power to remove me for 12 hours for what I honestly consider no reason at all.

I have tried looking at this from their perspective and literally the only thing I can think of is if you think "dong" is slang for penis or something, but even then, where's the context in which lead me to get banned?
Just to make things clear, dongers are an actual emoticon category.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/raise-your-dongers

I never pay attention to when people get banned in the chat, because I usually just assume they crossed a line they shouldn't have, such as kiss requests/touch requests, insulting people, spamming, using suggestive ascii art.

On the subject of spamming, I used this emote ONCE. It takes up not even half a message, so I ask again, what's the reason for why I was banned here? I read through the rules and it mentions suggestive ascii art, but nothing about random funny ascii art.


Cosplay is not Consent: Remember, folks, just because someone is in cosplay, that does not mean they give their consent for the chat stream to order them around! Being in costume simply means they want to be in costume, not that they want to hug/kiss/dance/sing for your entertainment, especially when some of those activities involve other people.. whom they also might not know. Two people in costume for characters that you ship is fun.. that doesn't mean those two know each other, want to hug, or anything else.
<--- doesn't fall under this. In fact In spite of not being a mod, I often tell people that obviously hasn't read the rules NOT to ask for kiss/touching requests which happens all the time without people getting banned.


Camera adjustments - I know the camera isn't always ideal, but most of the people you see on camera aren't CR employees, they're congoers who happen to visit the booth. Please refrain from asking them to adjust the camera, it's not theirs to touch.
<-- Not this one either


Violence:
Threats of violence - don't threaten violence
Asking for violence - don't ask for someone to be violent
Rape - don't suggest rape
<-- never done any of that, not even in a "comedic" way.


Sexual issues:
ASCII 'art' - please, don't write text to imply sexual organs
<-- Nope


Contact:
Phone numbers - please, don't send a phone number. We have no idea if this is actually your number, that of an ex that you want revenge on, a scammer, or a phone sex line
<-- again, no.


Text issues:
ALL CAPS - please, don't only type in all caps. Occasionally is showing excitement, it's great! But all the time isn't
Swearing - please, don't swear
Spamming - please, don't just spam the same message over and over and over and over and...
Gibberish text - please, don't send text that messes up the stream, or is meaningless like rectangles in various shades
Illegal sites - please, don't post links to illegal sites
<--- I didn't swear, it wasn't all caps, I sent it ONCE, it was comprehensible and in English, there were no sites involved.


Other:
Physical demands - please, don't tell people to hug, kiss, etc.
Insults - please, don't insult the people on camera. This includes racism, weight, claims of autism, etc.
Multiple accounts - please, if you are livestream banned, PM any moderator to talk about it! Don't create an alt to keep going, as that can get you banned from more than just the livestream.
Everyone else was.. - please, don't try this. Other people breaking the rules is no reason you should, too.

Already covered the first one which I don't do ever, I didn't insult anyone, I only have one crunchyroll account which granted you can only take my word for, I don't ever post sites in a stream because I'm used to average twitch rules, and the last one would imply I had done something that others were doing a lot, which I didn't.

in the words of the page on the livestream ruleset


So, to summarize

I was banned for no reason whatsoever.
I have no idea of why, considering I didn't break a single rule, so please.
It seems we have someone that needs to have their position of power reconsidered here.
58680 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 6/7/15

Bearbudah wrote:

Here's the exact thing I got banned for, I had not been acting up prior to using this ascii art, nor had I offended a single person.


(̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄ the name's dong , james dong (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿


^ This is literally what I was banned for.
Now, I was having fun communicating with the people at the convention and it bothered me quite a bit that someone abused their power to remove me for 12 hours for what I honestly consider no reason at all.

I have tried looking at this from their perspective and literally the only thing I can think of is if you think "dong" is slang for penis or something, but even then, where's the context in which lead me to get banned?
Just to make things clear, dongers are an actual emoticon category.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/raise-your-dongers


I was banned for no reason whatsoever.
I have no idea of why, considering I didn't break a single rule, so please.
It seems we have someone that needs to have their position of power reconsidered here.


I believe there may be an automatic means of banning users when certain words are entered into the chat, which would mean context didn't enter into the equation.

Or maybe whoever issued the ban isn't a fan of League of Legends.

If I remember correctly, you should /contact support to ask them to reverse the ban, and try to avoid using that word, or anything else that may be questionable, in the livestreams.
20786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/7/15
Hmm that's very odd if that's the case considered profanity gets you a notice that asks you to behave. I'd think if "dong" was one of those terms/words that can get you banned it's strange I got no notice, also seems very harsh to get an immediate 12 hour ban + I remember seeing a name of the mod that banned me, shame I don't remember his/her username.

Thanks for the reply.
One Punch Mod
85925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/7/15 , edited 6/7/15

Bearbudah wrote:

Here's the exact thing I got banned for, I had not been acting up prior to using this ascii art, nor had I offended a single person.


(̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄ the name's dong , james dong (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿



Hi. I'm not the one who did the ban, but I guess it is possible the person who did interpreted "dong" in a way you didn't intend, but I'm also seeing a note that you were using all caps also even though your example doesn't show that. Since the ban was for just 12 hours (often the bans are semipermanent and you need to contact someone to get them lifted), I'd say the person banning didn't consider whatever you did to be a super-serious offense.

I do know some of the mods don't care for any ascii art at all in the stream (when it's there it's often spammed multiple times -- though you say that wasn't the case this time). Anyway, since the ban should be cleared by now, you should be all set to join the chat today if you want. For more details specific to your ban so you can avoid it in the future, I suggest PMing Karkarov. I don't think he'll be around much today, but he'd be the one who could provide more particulars of the reason for your ban since he's the one who did it.
20786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/7/15 , edited 6/7/15

lorreen wrote:

Hi. I'm not the one who did the ban, but I guess it is possible the person who did interpreted "dong" in a way you didn't intend, but I'm also seeing a note that you were using all caps also even though your example doesn't show that. Since the ban was for just 12 hours (often the bans are semipermanent and you need to contact someone to get them lifted), I'd say the person banning didn't consider whatever you did to be a super-serious offense.

I do know some of the mods don't care for any ascii art at all in the stream (when it's there it's often spammed multiple times -- though you say that wasn't the case this time). Anyway, since the ban should be cleared by now, you should be all set to join the chat today if you want. For more details specific to your ban so you can avoid it in the future, I suggest PMing Karkarov. I don't think he'll be around much today, but he'd be the one who could provide more particulars of the reason for your ban since he's the one who did it


I'm sorry but that's just plain dumb.
I did not write in all caps, again you can't do anything else, but take my word for it and I understand that makes you more likely to believe this guy who banned me for 12 hours, but as I pointed out very clearly I did not break a single rule, and 12 hours is indeed not a big deal in the big scheme of things, but its a big deal when it leaves me out of an event that I was otherwise looking forward to take part in.
I copy/pasted the ascii art exactly as you see it in my example and the only way it would've been written in all caps would be if I had deleted the text and replaced it with the message written in all caps lock, so no there were no ALL CAPS, it was specifically sent the way you see it.

I don't think this is ok, and as much as we as viewers have to follow rules, so does your mods, and banning me for 12 hours for what honestly cannot be written off as a breach of said rules, is pretty damn irresponsible of this Karkarov person.
More power to you mods for doing a good job at keeping trolls, disrupters and bullies in a leash, but taking a hasty decision of banning someone when they weren't in the wrong is just not ok.

Furthermore, why would I go through all this trouble if it was simply me being a jackass in the chat, not following the rules as stated when I have in fact read them?
Obviously I don't expect this mod to be punished in any shape or form, because I know that won't happen anyway, but I want it to be recognised that he fucked up and that it's not ok a lesson learned so to speak, especially when you have no earthly chance at standing up for yourself when a mistake like that is being made, no instead I can write a post to your support and hope it'll be replied to within a day, at which rate the event will be over.

All this being said, let it be known I won't be using ascii art at all anymore in the chat, but if people are getting banned for this (which it currently seems like) the rule should clearly state that no ascii art whatsoever is allowed, otherwise this kind of stuff can happen again.

Posted 6/7/15 , edited 6/7/15
lol
Dragon
58371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 6/7/15

Bearbudah wrote:




Since I wrote the original Livestream rules/guideline, I'd just like to point out something you may have missed in your previous very clear quoting, from the rules page (/library/Livestream_Chat_Rules), despite quoting above and below:

Guideline - What are some common reasons for a ban?
(Not a complete list!)


One reason I put that in is because it really is just a guideline. It lists not posting phone numbers, but we also ban when people repost twitter or other accounts, for example. We simply can't list every single behavior that can get you banned, thus - guideline.

I'm also not the mod who banned you, and perhaps you were referencing the 'dongers' meme, but you didn't use dongers, you used dong, and you didn't use the regular ascii art associated with the meme. (I also have to assume that you copied and pasted your ascii art from a third source, not the chat line that got you banned, otherwise you would still have up the name of the mod who banned you). Seeing that speed by, caps or not, I can understand the ban.

About the hasty thing - people in chat usually outnumber the mods by dozens, sometimes hundreds, to one. You've also likely seen how fast the chat goes, and that unfortunately requires fast decisions. You can call it hasty, but the flip side of that is it's quite simple to get unbanned if you explain what was going on when it happened.
20786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/7/15
Excuse me ?
How is it not dongers, the ascii art was from a list of dongers? why do you insist on backing up this guy's decision of banning me for 12 hours when I clearly didn't break any rules, it's not like I demand his head on a stick, I just wanted to point out my disatisfaction with his decision when I did nothing wrong.

I am also not that thick thank you, I can figure out that sometimes a list of "guidelines" isn't going to cut it at times, the reason for why I specifically pointed out everything I could on top of my motive was so that it would be undeniably clear that I didn't do anything wrong.

So because the chat goes by quickly it justifies banning people for no reason?
Also, how exactly is it simple to get unbanned from such a mistake when there is no way I can contact someone right away seeing the chat is my only source for responding. Apart from that my options were to write an email, which obviously won't be replied to in time for me to rejoin the event.

Finally even if it wasn't the "dongers" meme (it is) how is that related to my ban being justified when it obviously doesn't make any sexual reference. Are people not generally aware of the existence of the phrase "my name is bond, james bond" jesus christ...
Anyway, I only see a lost effort here, so consider this my final note.

One Punch Mod
85925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/7/15 , edited 6/7/15

Bearbudah wrote:
I just wanted to point out my disatisfaction with his decision when I did nothing wrong.


And you have done so. We're trying our best to provide satisfaction after the fact in the best way we can, after hearing your grievances. If you want some very specific clarification/explanations from the person who knows best just what happened, please PM the mod who banned you (Karkarov). If for some reason you are not comfortable doing that or don't feel it will be worthwhile, then do either use the Contact Us form to contact customer support, or PM CR Community Manager Bjaker who manages the moderators.


So because the chat goes by quickly it justifies banning people for no reason?
Also, how exactly is it simple to get unbanned from such a mistake when there is no way I can contact someone right away seeing the chat is my only source for responding.


It's an explanation for 1) why mistakes sometimes happen and 2) why we are unable to carry on a long discourse/always offer warnings prior to banning.

I know it's frustrating that there is no way to get an immediate resolution, but if you PM the mod who banned you, or another mod who may be online, they will do their best to get back to you and unban you if warranted.
20786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/7/15
Alright thanks Lorreen.
You must be logged in to post.