First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Political correctness stifling quality of liberal arts education?
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 6/8/15 , edited 6/8/15
This article below touches on some fears that liberal arts teachers may have.

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid

My take on this, is that I am in agreement with a lot of what this article pertains to. The quality of a liberal arts education definitely takes a hit when professors have to tiptoe around their lecture, for fears that ideas or opinions represented may cause even the slightest bit of discomfort for any student in the class. This definitely limits the extent that the professors can engage students to challenge their opinions, and to allow them to further analyze things from as many angles as possible. Creatively and this ability is vital for many careers in this spectrum, from sociology, to criminal justice, psychology, etc.

The paragraph involving the over-importance of feelings particularly interests me. I've jokingly made stabs at some of my friends in liberal arts for this very reason. My belief is that though feelings are important, disregarding any discussions that may provoke discomfort limits our ability to find solutions for many of societies current issues. Most of my concerns with liberal arts currently happen to be mirrored in this article.

What is everyone's take on this topic? Where should we place the value of feelings? How else is this current 'trend' impacting the world?
Posted 6/8/15

After a discussion with a woman whose tweet was quoted in the story, the editors of this piece agreed that some of the conclusions drawn in the article misrepresented her tweet and the article was revised. The woman requested anonymity because she said she was receiving death threats as a result of the story, so her name has been removed. Unfortunately, threats are a horrible reality for many women online and a topic we intend to report on further.
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 6/8/15
I can't even say the n-word without some fascist asshole on my case. Why is everything I want to say racist?
Posted 6/8/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

I can't even say the n-word without some fascist asshole on my case. Why is everything I want to say racist?


Probably because the n-word has probably the most vile history of any word ever used.

It's not a nice word to use honestly, regardless of politics.
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 6/8/15
See? you might as well be hitler

AiYumega wrote:

Probably because the n-word has probably the most vile history of any word ever used.

It's not a nice word to use honestly, regardless of politics.
Posted 6/8/15


Free thinking and racist slang don't go hand in hand.

At all.
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 6/8/15

AiYumega wrote:

Free thinking and racist slang don't go hand in hand.

At all.
Free speech, remember? Americans died for our freedumb.
Posted 6/8/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:


AiYumega wrote:

Free thinking and racist slang don't go hand in hand.

At all.
Free speech, remember? Americans died for our freedumb.


I don't remember anyone dying for me to use the n-word freely. Actually, the other way around was what it was.

Free speech doesn't cover using racial epithets and expecting to get away with it.
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 6/8/15

AiYumega wrote:

I don't remember anyone dying for me to use the n-word freely. Actually, the other way around was what it was.

Free speech doesn't cover using racial epithets and expecting to get away with it.
Yes, they did. I can't go around shout the n-word without being afraid of getting shocked in the face. Where is my freedumb?
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/8/15 , edited 6/8/15
Nowadays, you don't need slurs anymore.

Instead of saying "I hate gays", you just need to say "I disagree with this issue which a majority of gay people support", and it'll have the same effect as saying you hate them.
Posted 6/8/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:


AiYumega wrote:

I don't remember anyone dying for me to use the n-word freely. Actually, the other way around was what it was.

Free speech doesn't cover using racial epithets and expecting to get away with it.
Yes, they did. I can't go around shout the n-word without being afraid of getting shocked in the face. Where is my freedumb?


If you wanna do that, you're free to. But you're not free from the consequences.

Beyond anything else, if you're a person with some class you'd realize how screwed up this is, this fervent want to freely call people the n-word and use it. It's messed up. Our country was and is a racial mess, and you want this? Are you insane?

We have free speech, but that's a responsibility too.
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/8/15

AiYumega wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

I can't even say the n-word without some fascist asshole on my case. Why is everything I want to say racist?


Probably because the n-word has probably the most vile history of any word ever used.

It's not a nice word to use honestly, regardless of politics.


Not only is it not nice, but if you REALLY want to say it, then you shouldn't be white. White people cannot say this word at all due to the fact that the slave owners were white and only white. Colored people sorta can say it since colored people were not slave owners.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 6/8/15 , edited 6/8/15
Define liberal arts as opposed to normal arts
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 6/8/15

AiYumega wrote:

If you wanna do that, you're free to. But you're not free from the consequences.

Beyond anything else, if you're a person with some class you'd realize how screwed up this is, this fervent want to freely call people the n-word and use it. It's messed up. Our country was and is a racial mess, and you want this? Are you insane?

We have free speech, but that's a responsibility too.
I should be free of the consequences. Why should I be bullied for the things I say? It's okay to infringe on my freedumb of speech? You fascist?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.