Post Reply Will Nichijou ever see a NA Release?
7108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/15
Has anyone heard any news about a North American release for this gloriously hilarious anime? I was finally able to get my hands on a box set of Lucky Star and now I'm looking to get it's cousin by the same studio. So far the only copies i've found are bootlegs from Malasia on Ebay with terrible video quality and half-assed subtitles, or Australia's selfish Madman serialization that cannot be played here. Is there any hope at all?
The Wise Wizard
100969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 6/9/15

ephemurai wrote:

..., or Australia's selfish Madman serialization that cannot be played here. Is there any hope at all?

There are ways around that problem.

56919 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 6/9/15
I think Bandai had it right before they went under. The license was probably in limbo for years and may even be still.
552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17
Offline
Posted 6/9/15
I sure would love to have a DVD release of Nichijou, unfortunately I don't think there will be. I heard that the sales in Japan for Nichijou aren't doing so well, which is why we don't have a NA release of it.
7108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 6/9/15

TheAncientOne wrote:


ephemurai wrote:

..., or Australia's selfish Madman serialization that cannot be played here. Is there any hope at all?

There are ways around that problem.



Yeah, I just don't feel like paying an arm and a leg to get it and then having another player set to their region. Unless you had something else in mind besides digital downloads.
36732 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / US
Offline
Posted 6/9/15

ThatOneKid_ wrote:

I sure would love to have a DVD release of Nichijou, unfortunately I don't think there will be. I heard that the sales in Japan for Nichijou aren't doing so well, which is why we don't have a NA release of it.


It's an orphaned title from when Bandai Entertainment decided to go to sleep permanently. Before that happened, they had the packaging designed, and a SKU for it at Amazon. They were also going to publish the manga in English. Someday, it might get rescued.
The Wise Wizard
100969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

ephemurai wrote:

Yeah, I just don't feel like paying an arm and a leg to get it and then having another player set to their region. Unless you had something else in mind besides digital downloads.

That is one way, but the method I used for the Nanoha StrikerS DVDs I imported was simply to rip them.

7108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

TheAncientOne wrote:


ephemurai wrote:

Yeah, I just don't feel like paying an arm and a leg to get it and then having another player set to their region. Unless you had something else in mind besides digital downloads.

That is one way, but the method I used for the Nanoha StrikerS DVDs I imported was simply to rip them.


So you're saying buy them, and then rip em off the cd so they don't need the region coding?
17777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

ephemurai wrote:


TheAncientOne wrote:


ephemurai wrote:

Yeah, I just don't feel like paying an arm and a leg to get it and then having another player set to their region. Unless you had something else in mind besides digital downloads.

That is one way, but the method I used for the Nanoha StrikerS DVDs I imported was simply to rip them.


So you're saying buy them, and then rip em off the cd so they don't need the region coding?


that would be the legal way to do it. back in the day, i used to do that kind of stuff with ubuntu, shouldn't be a problem on windoze today.

The Wise Wizard
100969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

ephemurai wrote:

So you're saying buy them, and then rip em off the cd so they don't need the region coding?

Yes. I store them on my NAS, but one could just as easily burn them back to a DVD-R if you still wanted to be able to play them on a standard DVD player.




nemoskull wrote:

that would be the legal way to do it. back in the day, i used to do that kind of stuff with ubuntu, shouldn't be a problem on windoze today.

Technically, it is a violation of the DMCA, since you are also breaking the copy protection in the process, but I have yet to hear of a single arrest of an individual for ripping DVDs they own for their own personal use. It is no surprise, since I doubt the MPAA would want a chance of such a case making it into the court system.

7108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

TheAncientOne wrote:


ephemurai wrote:

So you're saying buy them, and then rip em off the cd so they don't need the region coding?

Yes. I store them on my NAS, but one could just as easily burn them back to a DVD-R if you still wanted to be able to play them on a standard DVD player.



I see. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I gotta find a copy on ebay for a reasonable price
17777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/12/15

TheAncientOne wrote:


ephemurai wrote:

So you're saying buy them, and then rip em off the cd so they don't need the region coding?

Yes. I store them on my NAS, but one could just as easily burn them back to a DVD-R if you still wanted to be able to play them on a standard DVD player.




nemoskull wrote:

that would be the legal way to do it. back in the day, i used to do that kind of stuff with ubuntu, shouldn't be a problem on windoze today.

Technically, it is a violation of the DMCA, since you are also breaking the copy protection in the process, but I have yet to hear of a single arrest of an individual for ripping DVDs they own for their own personal use. It is no surprise, since I doubt the MPAA would want a chance of such a case making it into the court system.



yeah, i stupid funny that you have to break the law to watch your own dvd on your own laptop.
You must be logged in to post.