First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply "Best" and "worst" sounding languages...
Posted 6/10/15

deer wrote:


PapaNeko wrote:

Portuguese is a beautiful sounding language.



Morbidhanson wrote:

Korean, Romanian, Japanese, French, English all sound nice to me.

German, Vietnamese, and Cantose sound angry to me.

Chinese (with the usual mainland accent) and Hindi probably sound the most unpleasant to me.


that's not what I asked

goodbye


You are so posh.
9051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
As you mention, the speaker probably has a lot to do with the language. If someone has a gravelly voice, or a strange tone/pitch, the language will reflect that accordingly. I've had students with unusually high pitched voices that make English sound like nails on a blackboard. But I've also had students whose voice made the language sound pretty.
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/20/15
Where I live is home to every single language spoken on planet Earth actually.

There's no best because that's not possible.
The most difficult to understand or listen to is probably angry old Italian man/woman. I say this because it becomes incoherent and usually involves tossing of hands everywhere and I've heard it a lot and still do not understand it ever. I got the impersonation down pat tho
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
It depends alot on the cadence,pronunciation, and intonation of your primary language when one considers another language as hard on the ears.
12472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Utopia
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15
It depends on the speaker but i like the sound of Italian, French and Arabic.

But Chinese, Vietnamese, and other pacific country languages sounds unpleasant and unappealing to me. Sounds like a bunch of noises, obviously this is biased. But yes, i think bad sounding languages very much exist
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

Robin929 wrote:

Nothing is more ugly the finnish langauge.

NOTHING.


Come on, it just rolls off the tongue. Say it with me:

"Perkele!"
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15
Everybody likes Italian language, I think
http://bit.ly/1Ivhiut
Posted 6/10/15
Just curious...how did you get to learn cantonese almost fluently? i'm in the process now.. just wondering why a language that's pretty solely spoken in Hong Kong and some parts of china was your choice. It's a really interesting language though IMO, there's even some english lexical terms added to cantonese sentences.

I know people who think Thai doesn't sound nice but I disagree. I think English is a horrible language, it's all broken up and just generally too solid sounding.
Fyk0 
21919 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Winland
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
Suomi mainittu, torilla tavataan


Robin929 wrote:

Nothing is more ugly the finnish langauge.

NOTHING.



Haters gonna hate
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
I have yet to hear a "bad sounding" language. I have however heard plenty of people speak their language very poorly or in such a way as to grate my ears. I'd say it just depends on who is speaking. Some people articulate their words and others just sound like their half assing it.
22942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
To my ear the Native American different tribe languages have unusual tone to untrained ear but the songs they sing are amazing but personally I could listen to a female from New Zealand or Australia talk about the weather all day
4674 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Way North
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
I would guess that to others, an exotic language they don't often hear can be considered beautiful in their ears, while a language you hear constantly is lower on the scale. It's difficult for me to say that the norwegian language is one thing(beautiful or bad-sounding) because we have so many different dialects. I consider a few of them to be really beautiful, while some other are plain awful, in my ears.

The language that I find the most beautiful though would be French, I think. I love the sound of the words in french.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15

atleap wrote:

It's difficult for me to say that the norwegian language is one thing(beautiful or bad-sounding) because we have so many different dialects. I consider a few of them to be really beautiful, while some other are plain awful, in my ears.


So I take it that Bokmål is more of a written standard than a dialect, sort of like the Caighdeán Oifigiúil is for Irish? I heard it described as the later a while back, but I've not given it much thought all around. I hope to learn Norwegian at some point, but I haven't look that deeply into it yet.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
Japanese and korean sound nice to me. Russian actually sounds quite nice in music. English very much depends on the accent. English spoken properly, the London accent and the Liverpool accent sound lovely. The jordi accent and yorkshire accent sounds appalling. And the american accent feels like someone pressing a cheese grater against my ear.

A lot of people say french sounds nice or sexy, but personally I disagree.
4674 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Way North
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

Schmooples wrote:


atleap wrote:

It's difficult for me to say that the norwegian language is one thing(beautiful or bad-sounding) because we have so many different dialects. I consider a few of them to be really beautiful, while some other are plain awful, in my ears.


So I take it that Bokmål is more of a written standard than a dialect, sort of like the Caighdeán Oifigiúil is for Irish? I heard it described as the later a while back, but I've not given it much thought all around. I hope to learn Norwegian at some point, but I haven't look that deeply into it yet.


That's right. Although it's also considered the dialect that we who live in(and around) Oslo use.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.