Created by OlympianRed
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you use groups?
12955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Apple Valley, CA
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
I just want to take a poll to see how many people actually use groups on this website. If you look at the numbers, it seems like a good number of people use groups, but when you take a look at the actual groups they're not very active. This poll isn't so much to see as if you're a part of groups so much as it is to see if you actually participate in them.

To me the group system is pointless, since a lot of people don't actually post in them, possibly because they forget they exist. As far as I know, there is no way with keeping up with group discussions, which makes it difficult to track when there's actually a discussion going on. The groups aren't even available through the top bar, which makes me think that a lot of people probably don't even know about them.

Are you active in groups? Did you even know that they existed?
39387 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Minnesota
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
there are a few groups that stay active though, granted they mat be small ones but they still have a pulse
12955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Apple Valley, CA
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

Squirrel500 wrote:

there are a few groups that stay active though, granted they mat be small ones but they still have a pulse


Yeah, I think it's definitely better suited for small groups of friends. But if you look at big groups, they're not very active, and it's a real shame. It almost feels like they were designed for smaller groups, and I wish you could sort groups by activity.
39387 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Minnesota
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

OlympianRed wrote:


Squirrel500 wrote:

there are a few groups that stay active though, granted they mat be small ones but they still have a pulse


Yeah, I think it's definitely better suited for small groups of friends. But if you look at big groups, they're not very active, and it's a real shame. It almost feels like they were designed for smaller groups, and I wish you could sort groups by activity.


that is a good point, I'm in a couple of groups with hundreds of members and only a handful actually post
35933 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Hawai'i
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
Probably a good idea at the time but with so many other things to distract us like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, these forums, & etc. who's got time to keep up with groups here too?
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15
I use them from time to time, but i'm not super active. They definitely would probably be much more active if CR had a nice tab up top like 'My Groups'
12955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Apple Valley, CA
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

AniMatsuri wrote:

Probably a good idea at the time but with so many other things to distract us like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, these forums, & etc. who's got time to keep up with groups here too?


Yeah, groups are usually never as active as open forums for this very reason. Gaia Online has the same problem, although I think a big part of the lack of activity here seems to be that there really is no way of knowing that they have groups unless you stumble upon them. Which might be a good thing, who knows.
10031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / San Francisco, CA
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15
It also doesn't help that the groups page isn't even a part of the header menu, you have to manually go to crunchyroll.com/groups to find new ones. Even then, the discovery features are very poor (there isn't even a search bar!) and it's hard to find good or relevant groups, so the really active and popular groups get drowned out by the massive amounts of inactive ones.

So yeah, poor discovery and ease of creating new groups (with literally the click of a button) makes the quality of groups go down.
One Punch Mod
85885 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

Looey23 wrote:

It also doesn't help that the groups page isn't even a part of the header menu, you have to manually go to crunchyroll.com/groups to find new ones. Even then, the discovery features are very poor (there isn't even a search bar!) and it's hard to find good or relevant groups, so the really active and popular groups get drowned out by the massive amounts of inactive ones.

So yeah, poor discovery and ease of creating new groups (with literally the click of a button) makes the quality of groups go down.


There is a kind of "side door" way to search for group names -- though that doesn't solve the problem of having to look through lots of inactive groups before finding one that's alive.

1) From the Forum page, type something into the search bar, and click on the search icon. This takes you to search results for the Forum.



2) See the word "Groups" just above "Forum" in the left side menu? Click on that. Now the search shows group names that match your search.

10031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / San Francisco, CA
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

lorreen wrote:


Looey23 wrote:

It also doesn't help that the groups page isn't even a part of the header menu, you have to manually go to crunchyroll.com/groups to find new ones. Even then, the discovery features are very poor (there isn't even a search bar!) and it's hard to find good or relevant groups, so the really active and popular groups get drowned out by the massive amounts of inactive ones.

So yeah, poor discovery and ease of creating new groups (with literally the click of a button) makes the quality of groups go down.


There is a kind of "side door" way to search for group names -- though that doesn't solve the problem of having to look through lots of inactive groups before finding one that's alive.

1) From the Forum page, type something into the search bar, and click on the search icon. This takes you to search results for the Forum.



2) See the word "Groups" just above "Forum" in the left side menu? Click on that. Now the search shows group names that match your search.



Oh cool! I didn't know this, it's still pretty poor UX to be hidden away like that but at least it's there.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
I used to use some groups that did photo editing, to get new profile themes. But they all seem to have gone inactive.
1976 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Perth, Australia
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
i assume groups were popular back in like 2008. Nowadays not so much.
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15
I just joined a few and almost all the ones I joined haven't been active for 1-2 years.

Anyway back on topic, yep I use them since most give you more forums to explore and post in.
5573 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Mexico
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15
Yes, and I just created one
Posted 6/11/15
I joined some but I don't think any are active.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.