First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Reddit Banning and Censoring subs
8701 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Definitely not EU
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15
2 hours later, and already 10,000 comments. It seems the reddit admins are specifically targeting certain sub reddits and shutting them down, even though they're are much more worse subs out there. Source; http://bit.ly/1F93NvJ

I personally think it's wrong to censor free speech and then play off with 'to keep are users safe' lmao.
26543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
Free speech does not cover false statements, obscenity, incitement, threats, etc.
Freedom of speech also, does not mean freedom from consequences.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However, that does not mean someone will not find fault in it.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15
Not surprising given that the CEO stated: "It's not our site's goal to be a completely free-speech platform. We want to be a safe platform and we want to be a platform that also protects privacy at the same time."

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/05/19/407971708/reddits-new-harassment-policy-aimed-at-creating-a-safe-platform
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
Are people surprised by this? I have some fairly limited experience with reddit: only occasionally browsed a few minor subreddits (like once or twice a year). I personally expected that change to occur sooner than it has.
jetah 
71777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/11/15
Even says in the statement:


We’re banning behavior, not ideas.
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15
Good lol
This was actually expected to happen.
8701 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Definitely not EU
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

jetah wrote:

Even says in the statement:


We’re banning behavior, not ideas.


All you have to do is read through some of the comments to get a better perspective of things, instead of listening to what that mod says, especially when they're contradicting themselves and when asked further, they don't bother responding.
13881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15
http://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/39bpam/removing_harassing_subreddits/cs20wu6


I'd say that person nailed it. It's just stupid marketing gig to pander to the SJW by saying it had anything to do with harassment.
8080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

DanteVSTheWorld wrote:


jetah wrote:

Even says in the statement:


We’re banning behavior, not ideas.


All you have to do is read through some of the comments to get a better perspective of things, instead of listening to what that mod says, especially when they're contradicting themselves and when asked further, they don't bother responding.


One of those subs, not saying which, was banned because users at that subreddit were posting underage minors photographs without consent and in an incredibly harmful way. I'm all for this, because freedom of speech doesn't mean you have the freedom to break the law. Freedom of speech doesn't cover everything.

12955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Apple Valley, CA
Offline
Posted 6/10/15 , edited 6/10/15

dotsforlife wrote:

Not surprising given that the CEO stated: "It's not our site's goal to be a completely free-speech platform. We want to be a safe platform and we want to be a platform that also protects privacy at the same time."

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/05/19/407971708/reddits-new-harassment-policy-aimed-at-creating-a-safe-platform


That's funny, because I remember them saying the exact opposite a while back. A lot of the stuff that they're taking out does need to be removed, but I feel like there's going to be a large backlash purely because of how they've treated such issues in the past.


nichtmalda wrote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/39bpam/removing_harassing_subreddits/cs20wu6


I'd say that person nailed it. It's just stupid marketing gig to pander to the SJW by saying it had anything to do with harassment.


That's definitely accurate, and there's nothing wrong with that. The only reason that they're getting this level of backlash is because of their previous stance. It can certainly be seen as hypocritical.
Posted 6/10/15
My life used to be Reddit. Like all day, all night, I was on Reddit.

Do I miss it? No.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 6/10/15
What the hell is reddit? -_-
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

eclair-lumiere wrote:

What the hell is reddit? -_-


You don't want to know.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 6/10/15


I'm guessing it's like 4chan or hiddenlol then? o.o
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 6/10/15

eclair-lumiere wrote:



I'm guessing it's like 4chan or hiddenlol then? o.o


It's better than 4chan but still pretty terrible.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.