First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Is anime evolving?
35766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / My Chair, OH
Offline
Posted 6/11/15 , edited 6/13/15
48449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 6/11/15 , edited 6/16/15
4193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 6/11/15 , edited 6/11/15
Not this shiet again <_<


cyberfaust wrote: Fanservice is generally considerably milder in anime before before the 2000s.


And this is wrong... old anime have more fanservice... you maybe getting the wrong idea because back then anime isn't very easy to access so a lot of the anime you can access have already been filtered out in your area but if you lived in Japan you'd have a different outlook.

Quoting someone from AS boards:

If you say you've been watching since the 80s and claim this, you must have been watching very selectively.
I assume you are familiar with just anime you got your hands on in the west?

I grew up in Japan in the 80s, and there were TONS of sexual innuendos and fanservice than than the early 2000+
The biggest difference would be, the sexual innuendos were mostly played for gags in the 80s, while some of the titles today actually makes it a underline theme.
(There are exceptions of course. The one particular shocking murder sex scene in Cobra nearly traumatized me )

But it was definitely not "less fanservice-y".

I've spent two decades of my life in Japan, and I'm telling you, your views on fan service are VERY selection biased.
22902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/11/15
lmao
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 6/11/15 , edited 6/11/15


^This. Anyone with this idea that 'Practically all the old stuff was brilliant' is looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses and selectively going on the positive stuff their brain remembers. There's good stuff and bad stuff these days no more or less than there was in the past, and the same goes for practically every other medium in existance. The reason it all starts to seem similar is that you end up seeing more of it, it's not all new to you like when you started watching it and as such you start picking up on things that are similar across multiple shows. As you know, with the internet it's easier than ever to access anime from all manner of decades, and as someone who was watched them I can say I've definitely seen older shows with cliches and tropes and fanservice. Anime isn't devolving, we get good shows each season, and samey ones each season. It has always been that way, and while there are certain periods or years where you may get a lucky streak of fantastic shows coming out, it isn't on the decline.
22940 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 6/11/15
Anime is like everything changes with trends good or bad I will still watch because you find hidden gems all the time.
25563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Phoenix, AZ
Offline
Posted 6/11/15
All anime was created 6000 years ago. Lmao.
3086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/11/15
I find it no different then live tv and movies all pretty much the same. Some good some complete crap but more crap than good just whatever you prefer.
7413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 6/11/15 , edited 6/16/15
MartianMage has it right on the money. Whenever you feel like this season's anime is devlving and sucks just go to the archives on http://anichart.net/summer and look back 10-15 years. It'll easily bring things into perspective (especially the fact we're getting like double the anime over here that we did in those days). A lot less of it was memorable too.
9127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/11/15
Yes, Anime is changing. I've been watching it for 20 years. There was a lot of good stuff in older anime, but there was also a lot of crap. A whole lot of crap. There is a lot in newer (evolving) anime that I do like, but a lot I don't. If I were to choose between the two, I'd lean towards newer anime.

How I view older Anime:
- I like the hand-drawn feel. To me, the rougher art style somehow makes the characters seem more "real" to me, as apposed to the smoothed over plastic-like art styles of modern anime.
- Most of it is nostalgic, and I like it because of this.
- I don't like the slap-stick sexual fanservice, however I do like that when they decide to show something, they tend to show it. No restraints.
- Most titles were original.

I'd say only about a 5th of older anime is worth watching. The rest is crap.

How I view newer Anime:
- To pair with the first bullet mentioned above, what I do like is the level of detail a high production anime is able to have (See No Game No Life, UBW, Sound Euphonium, etc.), something that in older anime was only feasible with movies, and even then.
- There is a lot more anime out there, so you have a larger selection to find something you like, but...
- There is too much Anime out there because studios are hell bent on playing off the same character types, stories, and plots of other "formerly successful" anime. There is a serious lack of originality.
- I hate the ecchi "obviousely sexual" fanservice. These are the ones that go out of their way to make the fanservice scenes to the point it not only adds nothing to the story, but distracts from it. It's far worse in my opinion from the older slap-stick fanservice. (Modern slap-stick fanservice also sucks)

I'd say less than a tenth of new anime is worth watching, but the ones that are good, are gold.
7523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Crimson Mage Village
Offline
Posted 6/11/15 , edited 6/11/15

BigChocolate wrote:


xxJing wrote:

Not yet. It will evolve at level 36.

Unless you press B.



Or give an Everstone.

And right now, sales are the Everstone, preventing evolution and passing down the same nature over and over again.
1051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 6/11/15

neugenx wrote:

MartianMage has it right on the money. Whenever you feel like this season's anime is devlving and sucks just go to the archives on http://anichart.net/summer and look back 10-15 years. It'll easily bring things into perspective (especially the fact we're getting like double the anime over here that we did in those days). A lot less of it was memorable too.


Wow, this is really cool! I use anichart, but didn't know they had archives going this far back. This is a recent addition, right? (Several years ago, I actually went through wikipedia entries in order to compile lists of which anime aired in which season back in the 90s, because I was curious about comparing anime back then to the anime season I was currently watching.) This definitely makes that sort of thing a lot easier.

And I agree. When you look at the anime that aired in one season back in the 70s/80s/90s, it really does put things in perspective. The trends are pretty different too. There were fewer series back then, but shows tend to run for much longer periods of time. I kind of miss that about older anime, but the flip side is that bad shows don't have to go on for seemingly forever nowadays.
xxJing 
37183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 6/11/15 , edited 6/11/15
I think that my favorite age of anime was actually 1996 to 2006, that decade.

There was a lot of different things going on, people trying new ideas. Harems existed, but every harem was different, and usually ended with a single pairing.

Around 2007-ish we started getting great shows like Haruhi, Monogatari, Index, those types of things... and then right after we started getting a crap load of cheap knock-offs of that type of show.

2012 I think was the biggest kick in the nutsack for me though with SAO. I was hyped for SAO, and the first episode did not disappoint. I had expected SAO to be the second coming of .hack//, instead what I got was the harbinger of a new trend. The super nice super OP MC fantasy harem trend. I read through the first book of SAO right after the first episode aired, I was super excited. While reading it I was like, wtf is this fan fiction smut? The rest of this anime is going to be crap. Little did I know, that there was a huge audience for amateurly written power fantasy romance. This is the year I first felt the generation gap.


I felt it again last season, when I saw just how unpopular Magic Kaito 1412 was. It was one of my favorite shows of the season. It had a very later 90's early 2000 vibe to it's story telling. Everyone passed it over though :(.
660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Greensboro North...
Offline
Posted 6/11/15
Yes, technically everything evolves
56915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 6/11/15

jtav001 wrote:
All anime was created 6000 years ago. Lmao.




But it was. This is fact.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.