First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Conspiracy theorists
14745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/12/15 , edited 6/12/15

lorreen wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

(And on a side note, aren't we in danger of overusing "-Tards" as an all purpose suffix?


I think so. I don't think it contributes anything of value, and is a derisive taunt that's all too likely to stir up bad feelings and start fights. I've renamed the thread and made some edits to posts.



Although I didn't necessarily say it was "offensive", I was just saying "Guys, 'Avatards' just said it all in its day, you're only going to cheapen it if you try pasting it on for everything... "
One Punch Mod
85853 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/12/15

Ejanss wrote:


lorreen wrote:

I think so. I don't think it contributes anything of value, and is a derisive taunt that's all too likely to stir up bad feelings and start fights. I've renamed the thread and made some edits to posts.



Although I didn't necessarily say it was "offensive", I was just saying "Guys, 'Avatards' just said it all in its day, you're only going to cheapen it if you try pasting it on for everything... "


Oh, I think it's okay if we dislike the same thing for completely different reasons.

Posted 6/12/15
Your thread is now a conspiracy.
Posted 6/12/15
I get call that all the time tbh. Or people say I'm trolling.
I like hearing about all types of theories. That includes the conspiracy ones. But i'll be honest that most conspiracy theories I see on the internet are full of shit & dumb af. People call themselves things they actually are not to justified their actions or what they say on here. So I feel like they say they are conspiracy theorists to get attention. My history teacher is a conspiracy theorist. He got a alot of shit for saying Bush did 9/11. Lmao
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Online
Posted 6/12/15

anzn wrote:

I get call that all the time tbh. Or people say I'm trolling.
I like hearing about all types of theories. That includes the conspiracy ones. But i'll be honest that most conspiracy theories I see on the internet are full of shit & dumb af. People call themselves things they actually are not to justified their actions or what they say on here. So I feel like they say they are conspiracy theorists to get attention. My history teacher is a conspiracy theorist. He got a alot of shit for saying Bush did 9/11. Lmao


I still wonder how the towers fell on their own footprint like a controlled demolition.

7547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 6/12/15

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


anzn wrote:

I get call that all the time tbh. Or people say I'm trolling.
I like hearing about all types of theories. That includes the conspiracy ones. But i'll be honest that most conspiracy theories I see on the internet are full of shit & dumb af. People call themselves things they actually are not to justified their actions or what they say on here. So I feel like they say they are conspiracy theorists to get attention. My history teacher is a conspiracy theorist. He got a alot of shit for saying Bush did 9/11. Lmao


I still wonder how the towers fell on their own footprint like a controlled demolition.



http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a49/1227842/

It's all explained in the book.
7401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 6/12/15
It's not just Hitler. If you look back in history at the Crusades, the Salem Witch Trials, the McCarthy Communism Hearings, they could all be referred to as conspiracy theory-based on a greater scale. The irony is it was the ones who spoke against them that were branded crazy or evil. Never rule out a conspiracy theory 100% because there's always the possibility there could be even that 1% that is true.

Read this ( http://www.infowars.com/33-conspiracy-theories-that-turned-out-to-be-true-what-every-person-should-know/ ) and you'll understand exactly what I mean.
14745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/12/15 , edited 6/12/15

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


anzn wrote:
My history teacher is a conspiracy theorist. He got a alot of shit for saying Bush did 9/11. Lmao


I still wonder how the towers fell on their own footprint like a controlled demolition.


Which raises the obvious question:
If Bush did "orchestrate 9/11 himself"....would he have REALLY gone to such lengths to make sure his historical legacy included the "My Pet Goat" thing when it happened, that we mercilessly and iconically kidded him about for the next seven years?
You know how hammy and Conservative-corny his photo-ops are; if he did know it was going to happen, he'd have had six photographers there to capture his look of shock and horror as he just happened to be in NY at the time...Subtlety requires intelligence, neither of which he exactly had.

(Which is also one thing you can say about conspiracy theories: They're created out of frustration that life isn't as complex as it happens in the movies, in which case tragedies would be more "epic" and less meaningless.
We thought there had to be some SECRET PLOT about the JFK assassination, since we couldn't believe some Marine-trained nut with a rifle could hit an open-top convertible...We thought there had to be some SECRET PLOT about 9/11, since we couldn't believe politically-overaddicted college students could sneak over the unguarded Canadian border, get through then-nonexistent airport security in Boston, and hijack a plane.
Guys...Normal things occasionally happen. If your car was hit by some drunk teen, you'd be disgruntled that the Mafia wasn't behind it.)
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Online
Posted 6/12/15

Ejanss wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


anzn wrote:
My history teacher is a conspiracy theorist. He got a alot of shit for saying Bush did 9/11. Lmao


I still wonder how the towers fell on their own footprint like a controlled demolition.


Which raises the obvious question:
If Bush did "orchestrate 9/11 himself"....would he have REALLY gone to such lengths to make sure his historical legacy included the "My Pet Goat" thing when it happened, that we mercilessly and iconically kidded him about for the next seven years?
You know how hammy and Conservative-corny his photo-ops are; if he did know it was going to happen, he'd have had six photographers there to capture his look of shock and horror as he just happened to be in NY at the time...Subtlety requires intelligence, neither of which he exactly had.

(Which is also one thing you can say about conspiracy theories: They're created out of frustration that life isn't as complex as it happens in the movies, in which case tragedies would be more "epic" and less meaningless.
We thought there had to be some SECRET PLOT about the JFK assassination, since we couldn't believe some Marine-trained nut with a rifle could hit an open-top convertible...We thought there had to be some SECRET PLOT about 9/11, since we couldn't believe politically-overaddicted college students could sneak over the unguarded Canadian border, get through then-nonexistent airport security in Boston, and hijack a plane.
Guys...Normal things occasionally happen. If your car was hit by some drunk teen, you'd be disgruntled that the Mafia wasn't behind it.)


You don't have to buy the oliver stone version of the truth to have your suspicions about the official story. because the Government never lies does it?

19300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/12/15

bobsagget wrote:


pirththee wrote:

In high school we read excerpts from "Mein Kampf" and Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"in English class.I totally reject both of their philosophies but welcome a chance to formulate my opinions from a diversity of options.I never remember a time in college when free speech or spirited debate was ever discouraged and as I've posted on a different thread my professors went to great lengths to remain professionally objective.


To be fair you went to school a long time ago (profile says you're 60). Things have gotten pretty bad in the universities as far as liberal biased goes since then. My Introductory English teacher would spend the whole class just lecturing how Christians are idiots and that God doesn't exist. I also had to take a women's studies class even though I was a bio major, which was an easy A, but still a waste of time.


Still think you're going a little over zealous in assuming that all universities are like yours. Just saying that if we're going to use anecdotal evidence, its quite easy for me to say that you're lying because my university experience was quite unlike yours and if you look at my age you can see that I am only 25 years of age, making my university time not that long ago.

49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/12/15

bobsagget wrote:


pirththee wrote:

In high school we read excerpts from "Mein Kampf" and Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"in English class.I totally reject both of their philosophies but welcome a chance to formulate my opinions from a diversity of options.I never remember a time in college when free speech or spirited debate was ever discouraged and as I've posted on a different thread my professors went to great lengths to remain professionally objective.


To be fair you went to school a long time ago (profile says you're 60). Things have gotten pretty bad in the universities as far as liberal biased goes since then. My Introductory English teacher would spend the whole class just lecturing how Christians are idiots and that God doesn't exist. I also had to take a women's studies class even though I was a bio major, which was an easy A, but still a waste of time.


No question.I graduated from high school 42 years ago and if you're talking about liberal bias It might be pretty hard to top Madison Wisconsin in 65.Maybe Berkeley or Ann Arbor might hold the bragging rights for being to the far left, but it would be close.Keep in mind that what is considered far left now was considered "middle of the road" in the 60's and 70's.College was after a stint in the service.I took many Christian theology classes and 9 credits of Women's studies.The perspectives from this coursework has proven to be valuable over time even though I personally don't support religion but then again I don't condemn those that practice it..
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/12/15

lorreen wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

(And on a side note, aren't we in danger of overusing "-Tards" as an all purpose suffix?


I think so. I don't think it contributes anything of value, and is a derisive taunt that's all too likely to stir up bad feelings and start fights. I've renamed the thread and made some edits to posts.



Yes, It could be construed to be an unfortunate choice of wording.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/12/15

neugenx wrote:

It's not just Hitler. If you look back in history at the Crusades, the Salem Witch Trials, the McCarthy Communism Hearings, they could all be referred to as conspiracy theory-based on a greater scale. The irony is it was the ones who spoke against them that were branded crazy or evil. Never rule out a conspiracy theory 100% because there's always the possibility there could be even that 1% that is true.

Read this ( http://www.infowars.com/33-conspiracy-theories-that-turned-out-to-be-true-what-every-person-should-know/ ) and you'll understand exactly what I mean.


There is a loyal cadre of Senator Joe McCarthy faithful that attend a graveside(Appleton Wisconsin) vigil every year ,I believe on the anniversary of his death, that always makes the regional news.
16598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / NC
Offline
Posted 6/12/15 , edited 6/12/15
Some things are crazy, but the term "conspiracy theorist" is just used to discredit people. Most people would say that believing the US government would stage attacks against US citizens would make someone a conspiracy theorist... Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it... Then you show them official ideas that the government almost used... For instance, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods... Suddenly believing the US government may have had a hand in 9/11 doesn't seem so crazy does it? Bush orchestrating it all? Crazy... As stated earlier, this kind of thing requires intelligence. But the government planning it with help from their friends the Saudis in order to give us an excuse to invade Iraq? Doesn't seem near as far fetched. Not to mention, 9/11 enabled the patriot act...

[EDIT] And, let us not forget that David Rockefeller admitted to trying to establish A New World Order in his biography...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.