First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply What does it mean to be human?
67 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / :^ )
Offline
Posted 6/14/15
In my thoughts being human is to be aware of your own flaws.
41693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/14/15 , edited 6/14/15
Human nature...... terrible, terrible, human nature. Our complex intelligence allows us to basically exact terrible things, at times; man kills man, man assaults man, man tortures man, in some ways, what we do is similar to animals, except it can be so much more brutal. or less brutal. we're still animals, we're just highly intelligence sacks of organ wrapped in a more fragile skinned, bipedal package with advanced neuro / brain functions and higher intelligence by birth; still qualified as animals, though.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 6/14/15
whatever you want it to mean
7415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 6/15/15

Derpixel wrote:

So if an AI had those 'human' attributes, would you consider it human still?



"Hobo Humping Slobo Babe!"


Actually, I'd have to because true empathy is an emotional trait that can't be simulated. True love and hate are pretty much the same. While you can mimic an emotional response it isn't the same as having emotions.
4504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 6/15/15
I've noticed that when some deem others inhuman or below them they're most likely to kill or abuse them and deny them any sort of rights.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/15/15
To be human is to suffer from an audacious ego nurtured by an inconsolable sense of constant foreboding.
11774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 6/15/15
I actually started thinking about this a lot recently. We had the Time of Eve weekend, then I watched X Men Days of Future Past where mutants are referred to as something other than human by a scientist, then Plastic Memories came out, ALSO HunterxHunters Chimera Arc and so I also started thinking about Anthropomorphism (probably spelled that wrong...)
33373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 6/15/15
It means you live on a rock that allows you live.

You know if we had aliens around this question would probably be a lot more easier. But for now I guess the only intelligent life in the galaxy, well until someone contacts us.

but if you really wanna trip out VVV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOCaacO8wus
174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / 632,537.354+ Arde...
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
Same signature, different quote. Each quote is thought up, and written on the spot.
;3

To contribute to the topic.
Being Human is currently classified as physical. Though everything is subjected to evolution. So if in the future our physical self as a living thing would change, with our culture altered as well. Are we still 'human' per say?
If an AI had the same morals, attitude, and well being of a human today. Though at the same time humans have evolved way past all of that. Would that AI be a child of humanity, therefor human?


"Life is like a piñata filled with very angry scorpions, you're F*CKED!"
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
Pretty sure this was discussed elsewhere but I'll respond the same way I did in the other thread.

To be human?
What is anything without a definition?
To define is to measure.
To measure is to limit.
To limit is to divide.
To divide is to create conflict.
That is what being human is.
2026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
This is an interesting subject. I think a big part of why we are human is sympathy. Without sympathy you don't feel for another person, species, etc. I am not saying that is the only thing that makes us Humans but I am saying that without it you couldn't call yourself a functional human being could you? Anyway I would also like to know people's thoughts on this and the mains subject, so please reply with your thoughts. Thanks!
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
People say that to be human is to have morals
9051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

DraconemOfSevens wrote:



You made some good points.

I made this topic to hear what other people's opinions are, so I don't want to add too much.

But just a philosophical question here: Why have a universe with no conscious sentience to experience it? My personal opinion would question that we are a fluke. Its like whatever that saying is, I'll just change it for this topic: "If the universe exists, and no one is there to see it, does the universe really exist?"


A good point. But if other life forms on our own planet are capable of intelligence in a manner we can't understand, how could we understand intelligence that evolved on a planet other than our own? It's not to say it doesn't exist; I believe it's likely there are other life forms out there, be they simple or advanced. It's just too big of a neighborhood to not have neighbors.
26434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Future Gadget Lab...
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

DraconemOfSevens wrote:

With the recent anime out (Plastic Memories) with androids very similar to humans, I'm curious to see what the opinion is on this subject.

So, what does it mean to be human?

Is it our biological mass? Our emotions? Our thought process? Our ingenuity? Our flawed nature?

I'll start us off.

People constantly refer to humanity in several ways. One, as a species, and two, as an above-average conscious sentience. I could be human because of my DNA, or I could by human because of my sentience. The problem with the latter is: what if we encounter another species that is sentient, we can't call them human because of their sentience, can we?

I think we are human because of a combination of our DNA and our perception on the universe.

We are our own, unique characters because of our sentience.

What do you think?


You should really watch a movie called Blade Runner, if you haven't already. It deals with this idea brilliantly, in my opinion.
5136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Limbo
Offline
Posted 6/18/15

streamhopper wrote:


DraconemOfSevens wrote:



You made some good points.

I made this topic to hear what other people's opinions are, so I don't want to add too much.

But just a philosophical question here: Why have a universe with no conscious sentience to experience it? My personal opinion would question that we are a fluke. Its like whatever that saying is, I'll just change it for this topic: "If the universe exists, and no one is there to see it, does the universe really exist?"


A good point. But if other life forms on our own planet are capable of intelligence in a manner we can't understand, how could we understand intelligence that evolved on a planet other than our own? It's not to say it doesn't exist; I believe it's likely there are other life forms out there, be they simple or advanced. It's just too big of a neighborhood to not have neighbors.


Of course, most multi-cellular organisms that have evolved brains (I'll use empirical evidence here, for the sake of strength of words.) have some sort of intelligence (although it is a philosophical question to ask whether or not 'things' that we may not think possess sentience do or do not). Considering we have a hard enough time understanding one another's intelligence, I can see your point. However, it is likely that we may find a way, there is a possibility at minimum.

As for that last statement, though, considering we don't know the scientific requirements for life (we only have our own rock here to attempt to find "requirements for life") and we cannot know the philosophical implications of life as truth, I think it is also likely that we are alone in the universe. I could reverse what you said, and instead say "The universe is too large, or too complexly unknown to know whether or not we are alone, at this point."

I don't know how this relates to what I said in the first place, though. I meant to say, philosophically speaking, what would be the purpose of creating a universe if nothing could see it, experience it. This is kind of an old thought. If I'm not mistaken, I do believe that religious texts stated that (in some texts, anyway) the 'creator' (or creators) got bored of the emptiness and thus created man (other high-level sentience). The only point I'm trying to make with that, is it relates back to the point: Why create a universe with nothing to experience it.

Anyways, carry on. I am interested in seeing the many ways people view humans, or, depending on how you take the question, intelligent, high-level sentient consciousness.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.