Post Reply Visual Novels - what do you think of them?
14562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/15/15
Hey guys/Gals I just got done not too long ago trying a demo out on steam for my first visual novel experience, was called fault milestone one. I have heard so many great things about visual novels i just had to see what the talk was about for i was interested myself. So i was playing this (reading rather) and well i was amazed how detailed and well written it was! the Story was awesome so far however, no matter how hard i tried i just couldn't like it At the action parts it was very descriptive on what was going on describing their actions and such, but their character models where just standing still and staring at each other as they were fighting. Just kind of bummed me out, and when their swords would clash or dodge their attacks or whatever would just be the sound effects and the whoosh of dodging in the middle of the characters with them still frozen.... Just wanted to actually see it you know? And I dont know about you guys but staring at a screen reading text for hours really hurts my eyes and gives me a migraine. (sometimes i read manga on my kindle if its not hardcopy and have to take frequent long breaks so that doesnt happen) I also heard you can interact and decide what the characters will do as well, which sounds pretty cool! I dont know. I think ill just stick to manga and anime. Manga is super fun to read and the characters can actually be drawn out fighting and such. if theres any visual novels like that please let me know! that have the charecters drawn and fighting with their described actions in each frame. (lots of work for the developers i bet but will be praised for it) Im not hating on them i swear! believe me i tried so hard to like it! just couldnt although well written and interesting just couldn't get involved, which leads me to my question "What do you guys/gals think of visual novels? are you like me and wanted to like it so bad but just couldnt get in the spirit?" If some of you guys could quote me so i could read your answers would be great! (if long response dont have to)
Posted 6/15/15 , edited 6/15/15

Ninja_Pro92 wrote:

Just kind of bummed me out, and when their swords would clash or dodge their attacks or whatever would just be the sound effects and the whoosh of dodging in the middle of the characters with them still frozen.... Just wanted to actually see it you know? And I dont know about you guys but staring at a screen reading text for hours really hurts my eyes and gives me a migraine.


Lol what'd you think a VN was, dude?

It's text and sound with limited to no actual action or animation other than the harem girls jumping or smiling
Posted 6/15/15
>nekopara steam version
>adult content patch


????
Profit
14562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/15/15

AiYumega wrote:


Ninja_Pro92 wrote:

Just kind of bummed me out, and when their swords would clash or dodge their attacks or whatever would just be the sound effects and the whoosh of dodging in the middle of the characters with them still frozen.... Just wanted to actually see it you know? And I dont know about you guys but staring at a screen reading text for hours really hurts my eyes and gives me a migraine.


Lol what'd you think a VN was, dude?

It's text and sound with limited to no actual action or animation other than the harem girls jumping or smiling


lol!! well you do have a point there! but i guess i thought it was just like a manga but game wise?
Posted 6/15/15

Ninja_Pro92 wrote:


AiYumega wrote:


Ninja_Pro92 wrote:

Just kind of bummed me out, and when their swords would clash or dodge their attacks or whatever would just be the sound effects and the whoosh of dodging in the middle of the characters with them still frozen.... Just wanted to actually see it you know? And I dont know about you guys but staring at a screen reading text for hours really hurts my eyes and gives me a migraine.


Lol what'd you think a VN was, dude?

It's text and sound with limited to no actual action or animation other than the harem girls jumping or smiling


lol!! well you do have a point there! but i guess i thought it was just like a manga but game wise?


It kind of is. You're just clicking instead of turning the page.
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/15/15
I like Visual Novels. The point of it is to have a more realistic viewing of it (with sounds, animations, etc) than just reading it in a book.
14562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/15/15

AiYumega wrote:


Ninja_Pro92 wrote:


AiYumega wrote:


Ninja_Pro92 wrote:

Just kind of bummed me out, and when their swords would clash or dodge their attacks or whatever would just be the sound effects and the whoosh of dodging in the middle of the characters with them still frozen.... Just wanted to actually see it you know? And I dont know about you guys but staring at a screen reading text for hours really hurts my eyes and gives me a migraine.


Lol what'd you think a VN was, dude?

It's text and sound with limited to no actual action or animation other than the harem girls jumping or smiling


lol!! well you do have a point there! but i guess i thought it was just like a manga but game wise?


It kind of is. You're just clicking instead of turning the page.


Not true. Mangas are stilled illustrations yes but during action scenes at least you can see it.


ayesharocks wrote:

I like Visual Novels. The point of it is to have a more realistic viewing of it (with sounds, animations, etc) than just reading it in a book.


hmmmmm thats a good point. although me personally wish the scenes would be more visual i guess you could say? as ive stated above when they fight have the artwork of them fighting instead of just standing there i suppose?
Posted 6/15/15
If they're extra good I like them, but the good ones usually end up an anime anyway, and I'd rather watch that.
7413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 6/18/15
I prefer the ones that are at least a little bit interactive and let you choose your own possible routes giving you a variety of different endings (like the Fruit of Grisaia one). It's more fun than just reading, it gives you a bit of a challenge to reach the good endings over the bad.
56932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 6/18/15

haikinka wrote:
But the good ones usually end up an anime anyway.


The good ones usually end up as sub-par anime, IMO. For every Fate / Stay Night U.B.W., you get a Fate / Stay Night (Deen).
31009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 1/23/16
I think they are good. I love games that branch out from choices you make and the fact that visual novels seem so personal that you get so attached to characters; is both great and really hard to handle haha.
Often when I play visual novels, I seem to go with "best girl" straight off the bat and then there is no motivation to keep going That is the only thing I dislike about visual novels, if you dislike the personality of the hero/heroine, you will have a hard time going through their routes, even if the story is great T_T
Though often is it worth to just keep forcing yourself to complete them, cause you will probably find something to like about that character, that's the whole point of the route part! Visual novels like Rewrite is a great example when this is done right, while it forces you to play through each and every route at least once, so that you can get "feels" later, that are really impactful T_T


Right now I'm playing Majikoi (50> hours ) T_T and I already completed best girl!!! haha
3306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/23/16
Its like a podcast with pictures.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Dixie USA ♡
Offline
Posted 1/23/16

I love otoge, so~

you may have just started with one that just wasn't right for you! The world of visual novels (( otoge, galge, etc )) is very diverse. You can find something as happy or as spooky as you wish. For example, I just started a fantastic otoge called "Vamwolf Cross," where the heroine has to try and discover the traitor among her group.

If you are new to the genre, I'd recommend first trying Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk. These should smooth the transition into a heavy text game, but there still remains plenty of play elements.

Hope this helps!
You must be logged in to post.