First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Fate/ Series help?
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / South Wales
Offline
Posted 6/16/15
Ok so i'm in the UK and i've watched the prolog of fate/stay night; unlimited blade works? which is really cool i enjoyed it!.... but i recently learned that theres a few Fate/ series... now onto my confusion

i've read that Fate stay night: unlimited blade works is apparently an OVA?... but on crunchy roll its got 23 episodes? so is whats on crunchy roll really the unlimited blade works? or is it the original Fate/stay night and if its not. what is?

i found online a suggested watching order which is;

1st Fate/stay night
2nd Fate/stay night TV Reproduction (like the hell is the difference?)
3rd Fate/Stay night: Unlimited blade works (again what the hell is the difference?)
4th Fate/Prototype (apparently the original story before changed for general public)
5th Fate/Zero (the prequel which was released after fate/stay night)

i'll probably watch them in that order. but im having trouble understanding/finding the difference between Fate/stay night
and Fate/stay night unlimited blade works.....
70044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 6/16/15 , edited 6/16/15
The VN has three routes which each take variant paths through the story (for example who's important, how characters develop, etc. will vary). The "Fate" route is Shirou×Saber, UBW is Shirou×Rin and Heaven's Feel is Shirou×Sakura.

The first anime adaptation by Studio DEEN in 2006 followed the Fate route and is generally not well regarded. It was followed by a movie for UBW. The FSN reboot by Studio Ufotable happening now is a fuller adaptation of UBW.

No clue what Prototype is.

Fate/Zero is a prequel based on a series of light novels by Gen Urobuchi written after the visual novel. Purists will freak out at you for watching it before UBW because spoilers. I don't think UBW is good enough to really warrant caring.

Imho F/Z is the best experience so it's what you should go into with the least spoilers.
Posted 6/16/15
This is how it works.

Fate/Prototype is basically the writers original draft of what Fate/stay night should have been. It's just a 13 minute sneak peak. Watch it your leisure, but you'd have to be familiar with the series first to even understand what is happening.
71506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / オランダ
Offline
Posted 6/16/15
1. Fate/Zero
2. Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

That's pretty much all.
Planning to watch the Fate/Kaleid series too soon, it looks pretty cool.
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / South Wales
Offline
Posted 6/16/15
okay cool

i've not come across heavens' feel... so my minds is just completely lost. xD so UBW isn't a movie as my googling told me?

when i searched "fate" on crunchy roll i only get access to;

Fate/stay night (UBW i think) has a picture of shirou and archer (don't know his name.. the white haired one)
Fate/Zero
Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA (no idea what that is!...)
and Fate Stay Night (original i think?) but i can't access it due to my region i think... it has a picture of saber...

by "fate" route i assume you mean the original before UBW?
Posted 6/16/15 , edited 6/16/15

Mightynubnub wrote:

okay cool

i've not come across heavens' feel... so my minds is just completely lost. xD so UBW isn't a movie as my googling told me?

when i searched "fate" on crunchy roll i only get access to;

Fate/stay night (UBW i think) has a picture of shirou and archer (don't know his name.. the white haired one)
Fate/Zero
Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA (no idea what that is!...)
and Fate Stay Night (original i think?) but i can't access it due to my region i think... it has a picture of saber...

by "fate" route i assume you mean the original before UBW?


Click on the link I've posted

There is an UBW movie, but pretty much everyone would agree that it is a piss-poor adaptation. Watch the TV series instead. There will be a Heaven's Feel movie (series), but that won't be until late this year at the earliest.

Also Prisma Ilya is a spinoff centered around a certtain character from the franchise and taking place in what is essentially a different universe. Watch it if you like Ilya after having seen everything else, it's not a priority.
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / South Wales
Offline
Posted 6/16/15

Okocha119 wrote:


Mightynubnub wrote:

okay cool

i've not come across heavens' feel... so my minds is just completely lost. xD so UBW isn't a movie as my googling told me?

when i searched "fate" on crunchy roll i only get access to;

Fate/stay night (UBW i think) has a picture of shirou and archer (don't know his name.. the white haired one)
Fate/Zero
Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA (no idea what that is!...)
and Fate Stay Night (original i think?) but i can't access it due to my region i think... it has a picture of saber...

by "fate" route i assume you mean the original before UBW?


Click on the link I've posted

There is an UBW movie, but pretty much everyone would agree that it is a piss-poor adaptation. Watch the TV series instead. There will be a Heaven's Feel movie (series), but that won't be until late this year at the earliest.

Also Prisma Ilya is a spinoff centered around a certtain character from the franchise and taking place in what is essentially a different universe. Watch it if you like Ilya after having seen everything else, it's not a priority.


I checked that out, confused me a little, but i followed it xD sad thing is Crunchy roll doesn't have any of the 2006 Fate/Stay night videos..... which is odd?... is it region locked?
33785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AR
Online
Posted 6/16/15
I'd suggest not watching the DEEN adaptations.
Posted 6/16/15

Mightynubnub wrote:

I checked that out, confused me a little, but i followed it xD sad thing is Crunchy roll doesn't have any of the 2006 Fate/Stay night videos..... which is odd?... is it region locked?


I am not 100% sure since I can't watch any of the Fate Anime that CR has to offer, but as far as I'm aware, FSN 2006 isn't on Crunchyroll. It's not an absolute requirement to watch by the way (most people would say that it isn't very good anyway), you should still manage to enjoy the ongoing Anime just fine, even without having seen the 2006 version or any other material relating to the franchise. Playing the Visual Novel the Anime is based on is always the recommended option, but you'd have to put lots of hours into this and not everybody likes Visual Novels anyway.
70044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 6/16/15 , edited 6/16/15
The UBW series by Ufotable does not expect you to have seen the Fate series by DEEN.

There is a fixed order to the routes in the visual novel but that doesn't carry over into the adaptations. What does carry over is that you'll get different things out of adaptations for the different routes, since they're alternative ways through the same story. But at that point you're just collecting additional info about the metaplot, it's not necessary to the anime.

Plus I'm not even sure if there's any info in the DEEN adaptation worth collecting.
Posted 6/16/15

Insomnist wrote:

The UBW series by Ufotable does not expect you to have seen the Fate series by DEEN.

There is a fixed order to the routes in the visual novel but that doesn't carry over into the adaptations. What does carry over is that you'll get different things out of adaptations for the different routes, since they're alternative ways through the same story. But at that point you're just collecting additional info about the metaplot, it's not necessary to the anime.

Plus I'm not even sure if there's any info in the DEEN adaptation worth collecting.


Well, a lot of major plot twists from the Fate route are sort of downplayed in UBW, because the story expects you to know about them already. Then there is Saber who gets very little love during UBW and the current adaptation, so you could have a hard time appreciating her character without having seen either Zero or Fate. Of course, it's still not a requirement, but the official order of the routes is the best you can do regardless. You'll probably still enjoy it nonetheless (or not, depends on your tastes), but I'd have a hard time calling it the "optimal" experience.
70044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 6/16/15
We've all told him to skip DEEN's Fate though, so it doesn't really matter.
37230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 6/16/15
Suggested order:

1. Fate/Stay Night (visual novel)
2. (optional) Fate/ Hollow Ataraxia (visual novel)
3. (optional) Fate/ Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works (anime)
4. Fate/Zero (anime)

The visual novel for Fate/Stay Night consisted of three different storylines (or routes) taking place during the same time (think of it as parallel worlds). They have an enforced reading order, so don't worry about which one to read first. This is what people mean when they refer to Unlimited Blade Works and Fate, they are two different routes that both take place within the visual novel Fate/Stay Night. Finally, it is suggested to not watch the original Fate anime, as it is a poorly done adaption.
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / South Wales
Offline
Posted 6/16/15
thanks for all the advice people!

but i think i'll watch the original fate/stay night even if people think its bad i'd rather get the full experience, i have noidea where to read or find the visual novels, not even sure if i've seen a visual novel before (assuming its differrent from a book, or comic?)
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / South Wales
Offline
Posted 6/16/15
plus surely i wouldn't think its a bad adaption if i've never read/played/seen the visual novels xD
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.