First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Japan lowers voting age
48603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

Japan’s parliament passed a bill to lower the voting age from 20 to 18 Wednesday, adding 2.4 million new voters to the nation’s current voting population of 104 million.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/japan-lowers-voting-age-to-18-1434514706
12472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Utopia
Offline
Posted 6/17/15 , edited 6/17/15
About time.

What do you think about restricting the voting age limit at like 85. I feel like people older than that FOR THE MOST PART don't really have a clue about what they are voting about and who they are voting for. They usually just get sold over key words like Medicare and Medicaid. Obviously this is not a description of everyone over 85, I'm sure they are some intelligent ones. But just a thought. Or maybe they could do something like a test if you are over that age, like how they make you retake your driver license test if you are over a certain age to see if you can see clearly and remember the rules of the road.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
I believe only property owning males should be allowed to vote.
12472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Utopia
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

biscuitnote wrote:

I believe only property owning males should be allowed to vote.


I can't tell if you are being serious or not.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

A-Eky wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:

I believe only property owning males should be allowed to vote.


I can't tell if you are being serious or not.


I should have elaborated property owning males age 45 or older should only be allowed to vote.
12472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Utopia
Offline
Posted 6/17/15 , edited 6/17/15

biscuitnote wrote:


A-Eky wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:

I believe only property owning males should be allowed to vote.


I can't tell if you are being serious or not.


I should have elaborated property owning males age 45 or older should only be allowed to vote.


That still doesn't tell me if you are being serious or not but I will indulge you. So you want us to go back to the slavery times and lord knows we know how that ended. And why can't females, males with no property, and males between ages of 18 - 45 vote lol
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
It was a voting requirement in some colonies.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

A-Eky wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:


A-Eky wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:

I believe only property owning males should be allowed to vote.


I can't tell if you are being serious or not.


I should have elaborated property owning males age 45 or older should only be allowed to vote.


That still doesn't tell me if you are being serious or not but I will indulge you. So you want us to go back to the slavery times and lord knows we know how that ended. And why can't females, males with no property, and males between ages of 18 - 45 vote lol



Anyone who doesn't own property isn't worthy of deciding the fate of a nation and anyone under the age of 45 is to immature to think straight.
12472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Utopia
Offline
Posted 6/17/15 , edited 6/17/15

biscuitnote wrote:


A-Eky wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:


A-Eky wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:

I believe only property owning males should be allowed to vote.


I can't tell if you are being serious or not.


I should have elaborated property owning males age 45 or older should only be allowed to vote.


That still doesn't tell me if you are being serious or not but I will indulge you. So you want us to go back to the slavery times and lord knows we know how that ended. And why can't females, males with no property, and males between ages of 18 - 45 vote lol



Anyone who doesn't own property isn't worthy of deciding the fate of a nation and anyone under the age of 45 is to immature to think straight.


what do you classify as property; a house, car, acre of land, children, what? And you never touched on why females shouldn't be allowed to vote
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

A-Eky wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:


A-Eky wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:


A-Eky wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:

I believe only property owning males should be allowed to vote.


I can't tell if you are being serious or not.


I should have elaborated property owning males age 45 or older should only be allowed to vote.


That still doesn't tell me if you are being serious or not but I will indulge you. So you want us to go back to the slavery times and lord knows we know how that ended. And why can't females, males with no property, and males between ages of 18 - 45 vote lol



Anyone who doesn't own property isn't worthy of deciding the fate of a nation and anyone under the age of 45 is to immature to think straight.


what do you classify as property; a house, car, acre of land, children, what? And you never touched on why females shouldn't be allowed to vote


I have said all I need to say good day sir!
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
It doesn't really matter since Japan has an abysmal voter turnout. They're tired of Shinzo Abe's right wing Liberal Democrats, but since there's no good alternative most voters just stay home and let him be reelected.
13496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
That's good. I don't know how it is in Japan but over here there is a belief that if you pay taxes and can serve in the army, you should be able to vote. In Scotland we're trying to get the voting age lowered to 16 but we're getting that power devolved at a later date. Age isn't really a good way of measuring maturity. I'm sure that there are 20 year olds that aren't mature enough to vote.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
I wonder which constituency is served by the advent of younger voters?Nothing happens in politics without a reason.
35059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/17/15 , edited 6/17/15

biscuitnote wrote:

Anyone who doesn't own property isn't worthy of deciding the fate of a nation and anyone under the age of 45 is to immature to think straight.


That's an interesting perspective considering one can be President of the United States at age 35.

"I'm not old enough to vote for myself, but I'm old enough to be your commander in chief and chief executive!"

And yes, I do see what you're doing there. It's hilarious.
56919 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Online
Posted 6/17/15

BlueOni wrote:

biscuitnote wrote:
Anyone who doesn't own property isn't worthy of deciding the fate of a nation and anyone under the age of 45 is to immature to think straight.


That's an interesting perspective considering one can be President of the United States at age 35.

"I'm not old enough to vote for myself, but I'm old enough to be your commander in chief and chief executive!"

And yes, I do see what you're doing there. It's hilarious.


One should also be able to spell properly to vote. It's too not to.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.