First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Old people....
4504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Online
Posted 6/17/15
Stereotyping. When I was a child I actually envied the old folks of course then I hadn't considered that they had to live all those years to get old. I also though everyone over 25 was old. I thought my grandparents would throw a fit when lil sis grew in dreadlocks. They didn't, they liked it and asked if I was going to try it myself. I thought they'd be all pro marriage. Grandmother had said that marriage these days doesn't make much sense. Another shocker for me. Grandfather got grandmother a mobile phone though she wasn't thrilled about it. He'd said that they come in handy for emergencies. One conversation was about another relative who thought someone was gay. Grandfather had said even if that were the case it's not the other relative's business. When grandfather died grandmother wore dark clothes for a while then got herself a, ahem, new man even though by then with arthritis she'd had to start using a walking stick. whilst these revelations were coming up I tried not to look shocked. Of course if I hadn't made assumptions of them I wouldn't have been shocked.

Oh and their pensioner neighbour ran away and eloped with some woman in the USA.
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/17/15 , edited 6/17/15
From my experiences, they're not all like that. It really depends how they lived their lives. I've encountered some really nice old people. I think it helps if you're the same ethnicity as them.

I feel that a lot of them have become tired and jaded and they don't actually give a f*** anymore because of that. Some of them also think they'll do and say whatever they want now that they are retired with one foot in the grave.
Posted 6/17/15
mmm... over 60
haha
14767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/17/15 , edited 6/17/15

anzn wrote:

Why so quick to judge but so slow to walk?
They hate the idea of newer generations becoming reliant on technology (what is keeping you alive tho???), they seem to find it weird newer generations aren't getting married right after we leave highschool, they think newer generations are becoming more "antisocial" because of cellphones and computers, they still don't wanna use banks...
I hate talking to old people about their opinions on society and people in general honestly. Then compare what their life was like 100 years ago to newer generations.
Like, grandpa, life isn't how it was in the dinosaur ages.


Sounds like you hate them for disagreeing with you. That'll show 'em. Oughta just die for that.
(Or wait, no, let me guess...You heard one of them say something bad about Gay People, so we oughta put 'em all on a boat and send 'em back where they came from, for being so intolerant, right?)

Meanwhile, what do you mean "they", paleface?
True confession time, I'm close to that "old grandpa" age myself (not there yet, but closer than you), and I literally go to bed with my iPad on my nightstand....It never leaves my side, even in the bathroom.
I've seen my writing profession turn from mailing 100-pg. paper manuscripts at the post office to an editor or agent turn to e-mail attaching a reader-friendly .DOC/.PDF file and getting a response two weeks later, and I LOVE it. I've used computers since the beginning--I'm so old, I learned BASIC in high school, and never needed to use it again for the rest of my life, and I remember watching anime on VHS....WITHOUT subs! I own, on my living-room Blu-ray/DVD shelf, every movie, and most reruns, that I ever sought repeat viewings of, where no one can ever take them away from me again (like, studios on digital servers, for example)--And if I have an objection to a politician or newspaper editorial, I can now leave a comment on his Blog for the world to see, instead of sending a "crank" letter that'll be thrown away.

If I do complain about how things aren't like the "younger days", it's when I know the answer to what the rest of the entertainment industry is looking for when they remake 80's movies, turn every hit into a sequel franchise, or wonder why network viewership is down.
I remember when it was fun to go to a locally owned theater, which only had one or two movies playing in town that week, and everyone you knew from school would be there on Friday night. I remember being hooked on watching only ONE episode of a TV show per week--not scarfing them down in three-hour "binge sessions" because I had to get through the entire season by next Thursday--and I remember when stations showed old movies you'd never heard of at wee hours on local stations, after the rest of the world had gone to bed, instead of news or informercials, and trying to figure out what funky bit of past culture you'd stumbled across. Heck, FTM, I remember when local TV affiliate stations actually made their own local original programs about your own town, instead of devolving their own station to nothing but a news and weather service.
Whenever people ask me what the heck Disney's Epcot is trying to be, I tell my old stories of going to see the '86 World's Fair in Vancouver, and then they always wish they could have gone to see one. (And then I drive them into frothing jealousy by telling them about Horizons.)

In other words, I remember things you were probably never alive to see, so excuse me if I seem rather disdainful of your attempt to make a "qualified" comparison. You'll find experience does tend to make one a smartypants, because one's pants now actually are smarter.
9051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

anzn wrote:

Why so quick to judge but so slow to walk?

I don't know about you guys, but my experience with old people, they can be ignorant as hell. And have more black & white thinking. They can also be pretty rude too.
They hate the idea of newer generations becoming reliant on technology (what is keeping you alive tho???), they seem to find it weird newer generations aren't getting married right after we leave highschool, they think newer generations are becoming more "antisocial" because of cellphones and computers, they still don't wanna use banks...
I hate talking to old people about their opinions on society and people in general honestly. Then compare what their life was like 100 years ago to newer generations.
Like, grandpa, life isn't how it was in the dinosaur ages.
I like hearing their stories, just not their opinions honestly. It probably hasn't changed since 1926.

What are your thoughts on old people?


And the younger generation aren't judgemental? I think you did a good job proving that point. I love technology. It's my job and my life. I have a lot of young friends and some my age, too. My opinion of what was means that this is what I remember. Kmart had a cafeteria, great hamburgers, by the way. Parking was easier to find. Prices were lower. I love the old, but embrace the new. Change is normal. The small minded can't take it.

85265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Online
Posted 6/17/15
When you're younger you don't yet have your own view of the world and everything is new and interesting. When you get older you eventually develop your own view of the world and deny any other view. Also, the older you get the more you learn people really don't care about you or others only themselves so you also only care about yourself. This is why they say "old people are set in their ways." because once they have a mindset, you won't be able to change it.
39015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tralfamadore
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
You'll spend most of your life pleasing other people,(teachers, boss, children,wife/husband). Being old is the only time when don't have to.
Posted 6/17/15 , edited 6/17/15
I tried to be funny in the post but it seems like I made u guys think I legitimately hate old people.
Like I said, I usually hated hearing them complain about certain things. I went to a Senior home several times and probably talked to about 10-15 of them. A few of them ended up complaining, that happen to be in the age group of like 70-90s mostly tbh. Kinda like in my post. I made it that way to make it seem kinda ironic lmao
They're fun to talk to. Some liked to hear about my interests. I even talked to one about video games.
Old ppl are cool. Besides when they complain. From my experience.
9051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

anzn wrote:

I tried to be funny in the post but it seems like I made u guys think I legitimately hate old people.
Like I said, I usually hated hearing their opinions on certain things usually. I went to a Senior home several times and probably talked to about 10-15 of them. A few of them ended up complaining, that happen to be in the age group of like 70-90s mostly tbh. Kinda like in my post. I made it that way to make it seem kinda ironic lmao
They're fun to talk to. Some liked to hear about my interests. I even talked to one about video games.
Old ppl are cool. Besides when they complain. From my experience.


I'm sorry, azyn. I wasn't trying to be mean. I think you probably do like older opinions now and then, but you're your own person, and that's fine. Yes, some older people can be very opinionated. That comes with age. I try to keep an open mind. I've got lots of young friends, and some older ones, too. I don't always see eye to eye with either group. But that's ok. We are who we are.
56915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
... are people too.
26543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
I like old people.

The super cranky ones make me laugh. They're so cute.
9051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

wonkywilla wrote:

I like old people.

The super cranky ones make me laugh. They're so cute.


Young whippersnapper. *growls*

Sorry, I had to. :)

I don't mind being older. Well, we all get there sooner or later, and no one's getting out of here alive, so...
37332 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / US
Offline
Posted 6/17/15
Man, I hate young people.
They are Rude,
They don't understand new technology unless it involves social networking.
They don't allow themselves enough time to really hate or enjoy anything.
I hate how they have no understanding of social issues that do not impact their generation.
I hate how they think their opinion is the only one that has weight in a discussion.

I just want them to get off my lawn.

Seriously though I think people should take more time to engage both people older than they are and younger. Views different than your own will enrich your life. At worst teach you what not to do.
Posted 6/17/15

streamhopper wrote:


anzn wrote:

I tried to be funny in the post but it seems like I made u guys think I legitimately hate old people.
Like I said, I usually hated hearing their opinions on certain things usually. I went to a Senior home several times and probably talked to about 10-15 of them. A few of them ended up complaining, that happen to be in the age group of like 70-90s mostly tbh. Kinda like in my post. I made it that way to make it seem kinda ironic lmao
They're fun to talk to. Some liked to hear about my interests. I even talked to one about video games.
Old ppl are cool. Besides when they complain. From my experience.


I'm sorry, azyn. I wasn't trying to be mean. I think you probably do like older opinions now and then, but you're your own person, and that's fine. Yes, some older people can be very opinionated. That comes with age. I try to keep an open mind. I've got lots of young friends, and some older ones, too. I don't always see eye to eye with either group. But that's ok. We are who we are.

Its fine. lol
I kinda (but also didn't mean to) expected these responses. But yours wasn't really bad/mean. And I do, especially when its about their times, of course. I totally understand old people sticking with opinions or their ways (like you know, not using banks.) Its not like I dont wanna hear them talk at all.
We're all different. And some of us just wanna stick with what we believe in rather than changing it.
9051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/17/15

anzn wrote:


streamhopper wrote:


anzn wrote:

I tried to be funny in the post but it seems like I made u guys think I legitimately hate old people.
Like I said, I usually hated hearing their opinions on certain things usually. I went to a Senior home several times and probably talked to about 10-15 of them. A few of them ended up complaining, that happen to be in the age group of like 70-90s mostly tbh. Kinda like in my post. I made it that way to make it seem kinda ironic lmao
They're fun to talk to. Some liked to hear about my interests. I even talked to one about video games.
Old ppl are cool. Besides when they complain. From my experience.


I'm sorry, azyn. I wasn't trying to be mean. I think you probably do like older opinions now and then, but you're your own person, and that's fine. Yes, some older people can be very opinionated. That comes with age. I try to keep an open mind. I've got lots of young friends, and some older ones, too. I don't always see eye to eye with either group. But that's ok. We are who we are.

Its fine. lol
I kinda (but also didn't mean to) expected these responses. But yours wasn't really bad/mean. And I do, especially when its about their times, of course. I totally understand old people sticking with opinions or their ways (like you know, not using banks.) Its not like I dont wanna hear them talk at all.
We're all different. And some of us just wanna stick with what we believe in rather than changing it.


Believe me, I have to deal with my mom. She's 30 years older than me, and stubborn as nails. I know what you mean. I think my being in IT helps bridge the gap, at least a little. My mom wouldn't know Facebook from Twitter, and wouldn't care either way. It's frustrating, but I can understand. Change is tougher for a lot of older people. Not all, of course, but there it is. I have my moments, like anyone else, but I do try to be a friend to everyone I can.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.