First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
"Petition" To Bring Back Extended Discussion Forums
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/18/15
If this is the sort of culture that most people would prefer (and the polling results seem to indicate it is) I'm willing to abide. Casual it shall be. Probably better for my health to be thinking about light things in my down time anyway.
13650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
こ ~ じ ~ か
Offline
Posted 6/18/15 , edited 6/18/15
I don't know, I voted to bring it back. I've probably posted more here than I did there, before, but when ED existed I pretty much stayed out of GD.

I'm just not interested in the majority of threads in GD. "What did you last eat" and "What did you last download" aren't really...discussions. Trouble is, neither are a lot of topics on GD, even if they could be, or at least the discussion is fairly shallow. Sure, that kind of thing has its place, but most of the time I become quickly bored of it. Threads that do have some interesting discussion value are often lost in the flood of frivolity that is GD, or turned into shitstorms by people not really wanting to discuss. The forum software itself makes it unnecessarily more difficult to keep up with discussions more than 3 pages long (seriously, when are we going to get a "go to first unread" button like every other forum has?).

I used to hang out in the Religion and Politics board on The Escapist until I got seriously burned out on politics. It was a good experience. Not sure what the state of R&P is now, but I wish that sort of thing could be replicated here. It was a good experience. We could be vile to each other (and it scared the hell out of the non-regulars, we loved that) but at the end of the day we (most of us, anyway) still respected each other--at least the ones who deserved it. Kool-aid drinkers, shills, and trolls were dealt with harshly or shunned entirely.

On the other hand I tend not to analyze my anime too closely, so sometimes I find the anime forum more srs bizniss than I want.
Posted 6/18/15

evilotakuneko wrote:

I don't know, I voted to bring it back. I've probably posted more here than I did there, before, but when ED existed I pretty much stayed out of GD.

"What did you last download" aren't really...discussions.



*Remembers I am OP of that thread *
14741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/18/15 , edited 6/18/15

evilotakuneko wrote:
I'm just not interested in the majority of threads in GD. "What did you last eat" and "What did you last download" aren't really...discussions. Trouble is, neither are a lot of topics on GD, even if they could be, or at least the discussion is fairly shallow. Sure, that kind of thing has its place, but most of the time I become quickly bored of it. Threads that do have some interesting discussion value are often lost in the flood of frivolity that is GD, or turned into shitstorms by people not really wanting to discuss. The forum software itself makes it unnecessarily more difficult to keep up with discussions more than 3 pages long (seriously, when are we going to get a "go to first unread" button like every other forum has?).


Problem is the teen demographic we have, without an older fanbase (like the longer anime-information sites, eg. Anime News Network, have), and their image of Electronic Conversation falls into three or four different niches:

- Random lonely shoutouts for the moment-to-moment Twitter generation: "What was the coolest thing you thought today?"
- The first awakening of Deep Thoughts, with the emerging adolescent identity: "What do you want to be remembered for ten years after you're dead?"
- The anonymous thrill, aka Posting While Drunk: "Do you fart out loud?"
- Underground attempts to recruit/spread the word about private cause: "Did you hear they just banned gay marriage in Upper Slobovia?"
and
- Secondhand attempts to start conversation based on whatever new stimulus comes across, usually that morning's Yahoo News: "What do you think about ISIS?

Some of these are good, based on their capability to start an actual conversation, like Anzn's "Old people" joke suddenly being taken seriously for a relatively pithy discussion. Others just remind us that some people haven't learned how to commune with others outside their own age circle yet, and the culture shock can have some repercussions.
The key thing to remember is, if you walked in a room and asked this question face to face, would anyone answer?
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 6/18/15

Balzack wrote:


lorreen wrote:
1) Contentious threads aren't bad just because they are contentious


That may be your opinion on the matter, but at the end of the day the majority of users will likely disagree with it. That's even being evidenced a bit by the response to this thread itself.

I also stated that it will be necessary for mods to pick up the slack for the merge to work out at all. So the fact that these threads are being so closely protected under the idea of freedom of expression (or whatever the excuse) has only made the problem worse.

So it's easy for someone to turn their nose up at the reality of what Extended Discussion used to be (Hell, even I always felt like it was just a bandaid on a larger problem), but it got the job done. Serial thread creators who enjoy pissing people off had their own little private playground to troll around in to their hearts content, while the rest of the community was able to get along well enough in the more heavily trafficked areas.

And personally, to me General Discussion has transformed from a place where there are stupid but sometimes fun to reply to threads, to a place full of unpleasant click bait that I'd rather avoid (as well as those same old stupid threads). It has totally changed my forum experience on the site for the worse. I get so disgusted by those front and center threads now that I rarely even have the motivation anymore to stick around long enough to spend a lot of time in the anime forums- which was my whole reason for becoming a forum lurker in the first place!

I should probably just "learn to ignore it" or something. But there's actually a whole science behind internet outrage now so it's easier said than done. That's why half these threads are being pulled straight out of Facebook's trending news feed.


A couple of users out of the thousands which use the forums hardly sounds like a referendum.


I dunno if anyone at Crunchy would share the numbers, but it seems traffic and participation has gone up since the boards merged, so it seems to be working as a forum should.

Or peeps could always make the threads they would prefer.......but that requires work, and mayhaps the peeps who made those sorts of threads also enjoy the other threads as well. Kinda selfish to neither create the content one wants and demand those who do be forced to.
Posted 6/18/15


I'll say this. I do both types, serious and not serious. I tend to only make the serious threads when it's something I think people would benefit from discussing. If not, not gonna do it.

Other times, I just wanna ask a simple question for fun since this website is a place I hang out for fun, that's all.
37140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/18/15 , edited 6/18/15
I don't think it matters. It's easy enough to just ignore the topics you aren't interested in. This is pretty much what I expect from a "general discussions" board.

If it was nothing but "what did you do today?", "what is the nearest object sitting next to you", "what did you last eat?", "what are you doing right now?" type threads, I would never come here.

I also wouldn't go anywhere near a board dedicated to politics/religion/social issues. Rarely anything interesting going on in those threads. But if you mash it all together, somehow it becomes worth browsing.

Variety is the spice of life.
Posted 6/18/15
There is a weird discrepancy between the poll and the posts, the former says Aye, while the posts seem to suggest "Nay" .
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/18/15 , edited 6/18/15
I was once on a forum that did, effectively, the same thing as banning controversial topics. All the topics had names like these:

How much homework did you get today?

OMG kill me, this essay

TW: My depression journal

Help me edit this story

What is your favorite color and why

Do you like hot dogs?

TW: Addiction problems

...etc.

Stuff like that. The "discussions" were bone-dry as ****. and I'd always get criticized and flamed for not putting a trigger warning in my thread titles. This was the forum on a certain writing site. It got so bad that people were criticizing me for using PROPER GRAMMAR AND COMPLETE SENTENCES, saying that I was being too pretentious by using these "big words" and complete phrases. Criticizing the use of proper English. Writing site. What.

Does this sound like a fun forum to you? I hope not. People were softer than jelly and unable to deal with any sort of meaningful exchange. They'd take grudges from one thread and bring it up into others. Very toxic. They would argue over stupid things, anyway, so it's not as though separating the topics will help with that. How this forum treats Silversongwriter was pretty much how I was treated here. The forumites just seemed to get way too immature after that.


kinga750 wrote:

I don't think it matters. It's easy enough to just ignore the topics you aren't interested in. This is pretty much what I expect from a "general discussions" board.

If it was nothing but "what did you do today?", "what is the nearest object sitting next to you", "what did you last eat?", "what are you doing right now?" type threads, I would never come here.

I also wouldn't go anywhere near a board dedicated to politics/religion/social issues. Rarely anything interesting going on in those threads. But if you mash it all together, somehow it becomes worth browsing.

Variety is the spice of life.


Thank you!



Balzack wrote:


lorreen wrote:
1) Contentious threads aren't bad just because they are contentious


That may be your opinion on the matter, but at the end of the day the majority of users will likely disagree with it. That's even being evidenced a bit by the response to this thread itself.

I also stated that it will be necessary for mods to pick up the slack for the merge to work out at all. So the fact that these threads are being so closely protected under the idea of freedom of expression (or whatever the excuse) has only made the problem worse.

So it's easy for someone to turn their nose up at the reality of what Extended Discussion used to be (Hell, even I always felt like it was just a bandaid on a larger problem), but it got the job done. Serial thread creators who enjoy pissing people off had their own little private playground to troll around in to their hearts content, while the rest of the community was able to get along well enough in the more heavily trafficked areas.

And personally, to me General Discussion has transformed from a place where there are stupid but sometimes fun to reply to threads, to a place full of unpleasant click bait that I'd rather avoid (as well as those same old stupid threads). It has totally changed my forum experience on the site for the worse. I get so disgusted by those front and center threads now that I rarely even have the motivation anymore to stick around long enough to spend a lot of time in the anime forums- which was my whole reason for becoming a forum lurker in the first place!

I should probably just "learn to ignore it" or something. But there's actually a whole science behind internet outrage now so it's easier said than done. That's why half these threads are being pulled straight out of Facebook's trending news feed.


I beg to differ. I cannot disagree with that statement and, with a little bit of rational thought, I feel that most people would not be able to, either.

Let's say you post a controversial topic about, say....abortion. What makes it innately bad? The core of the answer is just that some people don't want to see it because they can't help but click. Whichever way you slice it, it's the forumites themselves posting disrespectfully in them that are bad. People voice their opinions on it within that thread, some more respectfully than others. Without the freedom to discuss controversial stuff freely (eg. not quarantined like a plague in some corner where only 10 users will visit), I found the CR forums to be a rather boring place and stayed in the Forum Games section.

Now, what would happen if we took this type of contentious-threads-are-bad-to-discuss-openly mindset and applied it to real life? Regularly using the internet and getting used to this could very well translate into certain expectations for real life. Fact of the matter is that we should be able to freely discuss whatever we wish as long as we're respectful and not making this place inappropriate for people under 18 and we aren't somehow supporting something illegal. Immature behavior at a certain place does not make that place itself a bad place. How strict the moderation of the discussions themselves are is up to the mods. Hiding controversial issues in a dusty corner hardly qualifies as promoting an open discussion.
Posted 4/21/16 , edited 4/21/16
I think it's a good time to bump this again in the wake of a few things that have been going on (i'm not a party to it but have been observing).

ED was great for those topics people like to discuss or argue about that were more controversial or toxic. These types of threads dominating GD has really dragged that forum down. I won't hold my breath for change, but at least some of the newer people can be aware that things weren't always like this
Posted 4/21/16
Ed was a graveyard.
Posted 4/21/16
good, but rly i think all the people discussing those threads in GD now would move there. I think that's better
Posted 4/21/16 , edited 4/21/16
Hm I suppose that could be true. Good point.
But still, I don't really look forward to gd just being "what does your dog smell like xD" again.
Boring people posting boring threads with mostly boring answers.
Posted 4/21/16 , edited 4/21/16
Buuuttt... you'll still get to use all your one liners. Maybe non-boring people will show up again? unfortunately CR cannot go Marty McFly and become 2007-2010/11-ish again :c

either way!
WHAT DO WE WANT!? ...ED!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT!? ....SOME POINT BEFORE WE DIE!

#MakeGDGreatAgain

edit: & my dog resents your lack of empathy for his smell :c
Posted 4/21/16
Lol I'm one of the boring people and contribute nothing xD.
But it would be nice if they did. Not that they would. And there are people around that I like right now, some of which I doubt would have posted in a thread about their mums favourite color. Not that I would know.

Tell your dog I love him/her the dearest, such a good boy.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.