First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply When does bias become an issue?
18005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/18/15
I was raised in an home with pretty common at the time socially accepted norms. My family raised me to accept things at face value but look to the core of an issue. In this world of political correctness people in generally attack something that doesn't meet their agenda or support their issue. My questions are: Where is the standard line for a bias vs. a phobic matter? Can you or I be held to your standard line? If so why and if not Why? Thanks for your input in advance.
27254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/18/15
Bias is only an issue when they are materialized into the real world.

Phobia is fear but I think I understand what you're trying to say. To me, bias/prejudice/favoring/disfavoring is all in the mind. They don't do anything if the person doesn't act (or purposely fail to act) because of them because they don't produce any real consequences.

I like to use an analogy for this.

Your mind is your room in a large apartment complex or a giant house. You're free to be as messy as you want behind your own door. You're not really affecting anyone else by harboring even the darkest, worst thoughts in your mind.

It's when you open your door and your mess spills out into the hallway and common areas (this is the shared space, the real world) that there starts to be a problem. One sock? A few candy wrappers? Most people are likely to walk past, tolerate it, and won't throw you out for it, although they still won't like it.

There's no guide for when that mess spilling out of your mind into the real world becomes too great. It depends on the tolerance of the individual observer.
33381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 6/18/15
When does bias become an issue?

Nepotism
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/18/15
When you're talking about tires.
9051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/18/15
I think it crosses the line when it's actively applied, especially if it is in a workplace environment. For example, in my job, I could easily apply bias by favoring one student over another, for any given reason. That'd be morally wrong, and it's something I try very hard to avoid. I do think we've gone a little far in the politically correct arena, but that's a different discussion.
239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / I don't know, it'...
Offline
Posted 6/18/15
When you get to the part of the review where they discuss politics instead of guitar hero
2841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Houston, Tx
Online
Posted 6/18/15
Bias, Nepotism, Phobic- Politics.

These- are all words, so is Callipygian- sorry.
20904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Online
Posted 6/18/15
According to Andrade Men and Women can bring into politic what they want into politics example, what you and I do not consider into politic in the other side of the world people may bring into politics.
39137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 6/18/15
The word 'bias' is hard to define. Bias is, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, "Prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair." There's a lot to dissect there, but essentially, bias is almost always tautologically wrong because the prejudice is understood *by definition* to be unfair.

So what's rephrase the question. When is it fair to (dis)favor one person, thing, or group compared to another? And the long-and-short answer is when the quality for which the person is being judged on is itself relevant to the issue at hand. Of course If I'm hiring, of course I'm in favor of people who have sharper writing skills--because writing is very much relevant for the job they are being hired for. I won't take into account whether or not they have like dogs or cats--that has nothing to do with the job. And then we reach some grayer cases. Should I care if they smoke? For example, smokers tend to take more breaks to smoke--this is a statistical trend, so not true. This is relevant, but not wholly relevant to the job.

That said the word bias tends to get thrown around a lot; however, I find calling any particular thing biased or unbiased a meaningless statement. Since bias implies that a judgement was made unfairly, all the work is still ahead to show that such a judgement is unfair. For example, I could call Fox News biased and most people would agree; but if I genuinely wanted to show someone why Fox News is unfair I would need to document cases of Fox News unfairly represepnting the truth. The bigger issue is that the word 'bias' reframes the discussion from whether or not a person's leanings are fair to whether or not leanings in general are fair. There's nothing wrong with conservative or liberal news sources, for example, so long as their analyses are fair even if critical. But that's the problem: the moment we begin discussing if news should be biased, we immediately begin worrying about whether or not news media should be liberal or conservative instead of whether or not a particular liberal or conservative argument is fair. It morphs the discussion into an irrelevant component of rhetoric--that is, the reader's background--as a way to avoid discussing the rhetoric itself. If a particular stance is unfair, simply explain why it is and move on.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 6/18/15
Everyone is biased. Its impossible to create an unbiased opinion.
Sogno- 
45742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/18/15

pirththee wrote:

When you're talking about tires.


michelin's clearly the best
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 6/19/15

megahobbit wrote:

Everyone is biased. Its impossible to create an unbiased opinion.


Given that opinions tend to revolve around favoring one thing or another, that's fairly true - but much of the time, I see bias used as a synonym for prejudice or unfair treatment.

So the way I see it, it depends largely on how the word is defined. In select instances a person can be unbiased in the true sense of the word, but those are uncommon - and at many other times, a person can avoid being biased as the word is generally used. At the core, though, there is simply a trend of people falling victim to the idea that now the generally accepted views are correct or that they are just in their instances of bigotry. Injustice and hatred run rampant, but life goes on. People aren't inherently bad, and these common forms of bigotry and self-centered views don't really make them bad... But sometimes I lose hope that things might one day change and it is depressing. I suppose it doesn't matter in the end.

Sorry, sort of went off on a tangent there.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 6/19/15

Schmooples wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

Everyone is biased. Its impossible to create an unbiased opinion.


Given that opinions tend to revolve around favoring one thing or another, that's fairly true - but much of the time, I see bias used as a synonym for prejudice or unfair treatment.

So the way I see it, it depends largely on how the word is defined. In select instances a person can be unbiased in the true sense of the word, but those are uncommon - and at many other times, a person can avoid being biased as the word is generally used. At the core, though, there is simply a trend of people falling victim to the idea that now the generally accepted views are correct or that they are just in their instances of bigotry. Injustice and hatred run rampant, but life goes on. People aren't inherently bad, and these common forms of bigotry and self-centered views don't really make them bad... But sometimes I lose hope that things might one day change and it is depressing. I suppose it doesn't matter in the end.

Sorry, sort of went off on a tangent there.


I dont think its just bigotry though. To paraphrase the final episode of Eva "Its an informed perspective ever changing" we think based on past experiences. I hold a bias towards liberalism thanks to my family and a bias to towards feminism thanks to my sister. I would say neither of those are bad things(though others would).
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 6/19/15

megahobbit wrote:

I dont think its just bigotry though. To paraphrase the final episode of Eva "Its an informed perspective ever changing" we think based on past experiences. I hold a bias towards liberalism thanks to my family and a bias to towards feminism thanks to my sister. I would say neither of those are bad things(though others would).


There is bound to be some form of absolute intolerance to certain ideas or factors at any given point in time, and that is the essence of bigotry. If there is an informed and thought out reason for a bias or distaste, and so long as it isn't taken to certain extremes, it isn't really a bad thing or bigotry. If no one had opinions or views, the world would be a very different place.

Go a few decades back in time and you'd see hysteria over communists. There was bigotry, it was very pervasive, and people thought that it was justified. That same trend continues today... but that goes beyond bias as I would define it, and I don't think it is really all that common for people to view bias as synonymous with bigotry, though I have met a few.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 6/19/15

L2401 wrote:

When you get to the part of the review where they discuss politics instead of guitar hero


That was a preview.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.