First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Are sandwiches the ultimate creation?
3610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Purgatory
Offline
Posted 6/20/15
Oh, sandwiches.
How we as a slowly evolving, and mostly non-misogynistic country/world adore you.

The bread can be used plain, or it can be coated with one or more condiments to enhance the flavours and texture. Very easy to make at home, however sandwiches are also sold in restaurants and cafes, and are served as hot as well as cold. With the amount of ingredient combinations, bread types, condiments and of course imagination; anything is possible with a sandwich in hand.
They're extremely convenient to make, a lot of variety, not necessarily bad for you, and when you throw in the existence of toast sandwiches there's really no reason to not adore the little chunks of glory -- but wait, what is a toast sandwich you ask? Well, nonexistent question. You simply put a piece of dry toast between two slices of bread and butter, and then apply salt and pepper, that's all -- no need for condiment nor meats or even effort. Is there anything more beautiful? This is essentially the culinary equivalent of a Rothko painting. It questions the essence of sandwiches themselves.

I dare state that toast sandwiches are among the 6 greatest inventions since the spawn of human ingenuity.
One might use the phrase "Best thing since sliced bread," but I believe that toast sandwiches have actually made that term sound somewhat lackluster. However saying "The best thing since toast sandwiches," really doesn't roll off the tongue in the same way, nor does it sound feasible.

Anyhow, that was getting off-topic.
The purpose of this thread is to ask the CR community what they think of sandwiches.

The main question here is right in the title.
"Are sandwiches the ultimate creation," but I'll add a few bonus questions to spice it up.

Do you eat sandwiches often?
I myself, have a sandwich in hand as I'm typing this.
I mean, it's not in my hand right now, that would make it a tad hard to type but I think you know what I mean.

What's your favorite sandwich?
I'm not quite sure how to answer my own question. The variety I mentioned earlier makes this almost impossible, but I will say that I adore hot mustard and pepper-jack cheese between two slices of bread. I would say "toast sandwich," but that just wouldn't be fair.

And while we're at it, have you ever eaten a toast sandwich?
Don't worry, there's no shame in it, there's only toast.
I suggest you try it before replying if you've never experienced the pure unfiltered joy of a toast sandwich.
72322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 6/20/15
Ummm a toast sandwich? I'll pass although I do enjoy my bread toasted on my sandwiches. As far as my favorite sandwich goes that title belongs to the extremely versatile hamburger. Add cheese, bacon, a fried egg, sauteed or grilled onions, etc..... It's heaven in hand.
17394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 6/20/15
I don't trust anyone calling themselves a human if they haven't had a sandwich. Been and will be eating sandwiches my entire life. Cheap, versatile, and effective.

My favorite? When I was in high school I used to have egg/ham/cheddar cheese Panini for breakfast a lot.
18714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 6/20/15
I like you. Your passion for sandwiches almost rivals, if not equals, my passion for noodles. I'm no expert on the art of wichsands but I got some thoughts to share.

I don't have a favorite sandwich. But, for me, an ideal sandwich contains some type of sauce, thinly sliced meat, salt, and pepper.
For the bread, It depends on the type of sandwich. If there are a lot of wet vegetables, like tomatoes, then I prefer a strong bread like sourdough. Actually, sourdough is the way to go all day...or white bread. Who the hell doesn't eat white bread?
There must be some type of fat in a good wich. The toast sandwich has the butter, which prevents the wichsand from getting dry as fuq. Sometimes, if a wichsand contains lots of heavy meats, some sort of acid is necessary to cut the richness. I'm not really into that rich jazz on bread.
Ideally, deli meats sliced thin and folded. That way, air-pockets form and, as you bite down, you tear through layers of flavor as the meat falls apart in the mouth rather than getting a big glob.
A light vegetable like arugula or lettuce is the jam. Sometimes tomatoes for some robust and earthly flavor action.
Lastly, the most important component, not only in sandwiches but in anything you cook, is seasoning. For wichsands, salt and pepper is the way to go. I like to VERY lightly season each layer of ingredients so in the end, the seasoning balances out.

I've had a toast sandwich in China once but...not like toast, toast. It had stuff like ham and cheese in it so I don't consider that a toast, toast sandwich.

I don't eat wichsands often. I eat noodles.
Posted 6/20/15
That title goes to salad dressings.
1123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/20/15 , edited 6/20/15
The internet is the ultimate creation. Sandwiches are second. Of course I include hamburgers/hotdogs as sub-types of sandwiches. I consider burritos, and similar foods a type of wrap,wraps being sandwiches as well. If you put something between two pancakes/waffles it should be considered a sandwich. Crepes and blintz are types of sweet sandwich.
Question, at what point does a grilled cheese no longer count as a grilled cheese? IMO, if you have more non-cheese than cheese, it's a grilled sandwich with cheese on it and not grilled cheese. Otherwise all cheeseburgers are grilled cheese sandwiches.
I do eat sandwiches often,but not every day. We recently switched to only buying tortillas,because we found ourselves throwing bread out too often.
My favorite sandwich is an avocado sandwich. Preferably with Swiss cheese, mayo, lemon pepper, and alfalfa sprouts. Unfortunately around here they don't sell many alfalfa sprouts, they consider it cow feed.
No, I can't say that I've had a toast sandwich. I've never been much of a toast person, as it is generally eaten at breakfast, and I rarely eat breakfast.

Edit: With harder toppings, such as steak, you have to use harder breads. If you are using softer toppings, IE tuna/pb&j, you need to use softer bread. It seems like common sense,but people often make this mistake. Salami, for example, should not go on white bread.
There is also an optimal way to cut your sandwiches. I'm pretty sure Good Eats covers all of this in it's episode(s) about sandwiches.
22455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/20/15 , edited 6/20/15
haha This thread is amazing :OOO as i share so much love for sandwiches ~<33

My favorite types of sandwiches would be with tomatoe, cheese, hot sauce , and mayo! the Spicier the better !!! pepper too!! XDDD

O and i cant forget the jalapenos !!
Posted 6/20/15 , edited 6/20/15
The many combinations of things you can put in between 2 pieces of bread is quite amazing.
Posted 6/20/15
That prawn cocktail sandwich

kingdomknight0 wrote:
.My favorite sandwich is an avocado sandwich. Preferably with Swiss cheese, mayo, lemon pepper, and alfalfa sprouts.


Mmm... fanceh xD
4490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Online
Posted 6/20/15 , edited 6/20/15
Some sandwiches don't have two pieces of bread. They call them open sandwiches. here's one.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4715/open-chicken-caesar-sandwich

49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/20/15

tkayt wrote:

Some sandwiches don't have two pieces of bread. They call them open sandwiches. here's one.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4715/open-chicken-caesar-sandwich



Reminds one of a scene from "Are you Being Served?".
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/20/15

Alchemeister wrote:

Oh, sandwiches.
How we as a slowly evolving, and mostly non-misogynistic country/world adore you.

The bread can be used plain, or it can be coated with one or more condiments to enhance the flavours and texture. Very easy to make at home, however sandwiches are also sold in restaurants and cafes, and are served as hot as well as cold. With the amount of ingredient combinations, bread types, condiments and of course imagination; anything is possible with a sandwich in hand.
They're extremely convenient to make, a lot of variety, not necessarily bad for you, and when you throw in the existence of toast sandwiches there's really no reason to not adore the little chunks of glory -- but wait, what is a toast sandwich you ask? Well, nonexistent question. You simply put a piece of dry toast between two slices of bread and butter, and then apply salt and pepper, that's all -- no need for condiment nor meats or even effort. Is there anything more beautiful? This is essentially the culinary equivalent of a Rothko painting. It questions the essence of sandwiches themselves.

I dare state that toast sandwiches are among the 6 greatest inventions since the spawn of human ingenuity.
One might use the phrase "Best thing since sliced bread," but I believe that toast sandwiches have actually made that term sound somewhat lackluster. However saying "The best thing since toast sandwiches," really doesn't roll off the tongue in the same way, nor does it sound feasible.

Anyhow, that was getting off-topic.
The purpose of this thread is to ask the CR community what they think of sandwiches.

The main question here is right in the title.
"Are sandwiches the ultimate creation," but I'll add a few bonus questions to spice it up.

Do you eat sandwiches often?
I myself, have a sandwich in hand as I'm typing this.
I mean, it's not in my hand right now, that would make it a tad hard to type but I think you know what I mean.

What's your favorite sandwich?
I'm not quite sure how to answer my own question. The variety I mentioned earlier makes this almost impossible, but I will say that I adore hot mustard and pepper-jack cheese between two slices of bread. I would say "toast sandwich," but that just wouldn't be fair.

And while we're at it, have you ever eaten a toast sandwich?
Don't worry, there's no shame in it, there's only toast.
I suggest you try it before replying if you've never experienced the pure unfiltered joy of a toast sandwich.


I have to admit I'm mystified by your second sentence.What does that mean?
6039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Worth, TX
Offline
Posted 6/20/15
not really much of a sandwich person. i dont get the fascination about them. i think people that really love sandwiches either couldnt find anything better or have a really boring flavor palate
5423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / A piece of land i...
Offline
Posted 6/20/15
^Lol shots fired

But I agree, not really a sandwich person myself. It's kinda meh, but I do enjoy an occasional subway though
Posted 6/20/15
No, noodle bowls are. Just my opinion.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.