Post Reply Job interview
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 6/22/15 , edited 6/22/15
I got a job interview for a job at a Steel Mill, it's a entry level position called a "rigger".

I need advice on how to act on my interview what to say when they ask if I had prior work experience and I have none.

They contacted me at 12:00PM AND gave me directions..
Dragon
58354 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 6/22/15

PurpleDjango wrote:

I got a job interview for a job at a Steel Mill, it's a entry level position called a "rigger".

I need advice on how to act on my interview what to say when they ask if I had prior work experience and I have none.

They contacted me at 12:00PM AND gave me directions..


I know it's tough having no experience in the field, but be honest about it. Everyone starts somewhere, and you want to start with them, right? Show why you want to work there specifically if you can. Be willing to say that someday you hope to run a team on their site, and want to learn from them the right way to do that. Or, if rigging is in your family history, feel free to mention that as well. Those kinds of things can really help.

But (and I say this to all job candidates), be honest. Honesty doesn't always get you the job.. but dodging the truth can cost you far more, from what I've seen. So be upfront, say why you want to be there and what you can bring to the company, and let that carry you. That kind of thing always impresses me more than experience when I interview folks.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 6/22/15

MakotoKamui wrote:


PurpleDjango wrote:

I got a job interview for a job at a Steel Mill, it's a entry level position called a "rigger".

I need advice on how to act on my interview what to say when they ask if I had prior work experience and I have none.

They contacted me at 12:00PM AND gave me directions..


I know it's tough having no experience in the field, but be honest about it. Everyone starts somewhere, and you want to start with them, right? Show why you want to work there specifically if you can. Be willing to say that someday you hope to run a team on their site, and want to learn from them the right way to do that. Or, if rigging is in your family history, feel free to mention that as well. Those kinds of things can really help.

But (and I say this to all job candidates), be honest. Honesty doesn't always get you the job.. but dodging the truth can cost you far more, from what I've seen. So be upfront, say why you want to be there and what you can bring to the company, and let that carry you. That kind of thing always impresses me more than experience when I interview folks.


Alright thanks dude, I planned on doing something like that.. But you just gave me reassurance!
Dragon
58354 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 6/22/15

PurpleDjango wrote:

Alright thanks dude, I planned on doing something like that.. But you just gave me reassurance!


More than happy to do that. Also.. good luck! Be sure to let us know how it goes, really hoping for good news.
6018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 6/22/15
Make sure you wear dress shirt and a tie, tuck your shirt in. Try to avoid jeans and wear slacks if you can, if not wear khakis. First time you walk into the door make sure you shake their hands and look them in the eye. Ask questions about the job, what the work condition is like, what's the typical routines are and how long they usually take. Ask them about their concerns about people working on the job (safety and hazards are important). Ask them what their view on the work-life balance, this is optional beacause some people expect you to dedicate your whole life to the job even for an entry position. That could be a red flag for you depending on your personalities/goals.

When they ask a question , count to two inside your head so you don't end up saying stupid stuff like sleeping with your wife. After the interview thank them and shake everyone's hands and walk out the door and make sure you close it with a nice sound
9051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/23/15
Lots of good advice on here already. About all I can add is to be ready for the questions you'll be asked. Popular ones are "Why do you want to work here?", "Where do you see yourself in 2 years? 5 years?". "What's your biggest strength/weakness?"

If you can answer questions like that without hesitation, you'll be fine. It's an entry level job, so I don't think they'll be too hard on you. Good luck!
22940 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 6/23/15
I have also worked in steel mill being a rigger requires a strong back and the ability to follow directions be sure to emphasize both when talking about your self you might need thick skin too the seniors in the industry tend to yell a lot until they trust you
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 6/23/15

scoobydew wrote:

I have also worked in steel mill being a rigger requires a strong back and the ability to follow directions be sure to emphasize both when talking about your self you might need thick skin too the seniors in the industry tend to yell a lot until they trust you


Thanks man, I'll be sure to push everything to the limit for this job!
Posted 6/23/15
Dont wear pants
Posted 6/24/15
Since you don't have experience. You should tell them that (only if this is true) that you're a quick learner and you can adapt to the enviornment around you and can work while under pressure. Are able to work in a fast paced enviornment, you work well with others.. etc. And also bring up traits that may be beneficial to the job.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 6/24/15

kogamii wrote:

Since you don't have experience. You should tell them that (only if this is true) that you're a quick learner and you can adapt to the enviornment around you and can work while under pressure. Are able to work in a fast paced enviornment, you work well with others.. etc. And also bring up traits that may be beneficial to the job.


Thanks, all of those do apply to me, but I didn't know how to exactly say it ^_^
Posted 6/24/15

PurpleDjango wrote:


kogamii wrote:

Since you don't have experience. You should tell them that (only if this is true) that you're a quick learner and you can adapt to the enviornment around you and can work while under pressure. Are able to work in a fast paced enviornment, you work well with others.. etc. And also bring up traits that may be beneficial to the job.


Thanks, all of those do apply to me, but I didn't know how to exactly say it ^_^


Probably when they ask what makes you a top candidate for this position. Be like "I'm going to be honest, this would be my first position but I am a responsible person. I am a very quick learner and once I get the grasp of things, I just keep going. Not only that, I excel in communication and team work, blah blah.
22940 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 6/24/15
I f you don't get job keep calling back sometimes newbies don't work out in the field usually after 30 days they are terminated so timing and persistence also good traits to make impression on possible boss
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 6/24/15

kogamii wrote:


PurpleDjango wrote:


kogamii wrote:

Since you don't have experience. You should tell them that (only if this is true) that you're a quick learner and you can adapt to the enviornment around you and can work while under pressure. Are able to work in a fast paced enviornment, you work well with others.. etc. And also bring up traits that may be beneficial to the job.


Thanks, all of those do apply to me, but I didn't know how to exactly say it ^_^


Probably when they ask what makes you a top candidate for this position. Be like "I'm going to be honest, this would be my first position but I am a responsible person. I am a very quick learner and once I get the grasp of things, I just keep going. Not only that, I excel in communication and team work, blah blah.


Thanks I'll be sure to do this
You must be logged in to post.