First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Should Crunchyroll have more Yaoi?
17307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / My Couch
Offline
Posted 8/14/15
I'm not a fan of it, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would love to see more of it, so why not? It's not like having it on the site is a plague.
41641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/14/15 , edited 8/14/15

Charizam wrote:


animegirl2222 wrote:

Oh my god, yes, Ten Count was gold. Hana no Mizu was really good too, I'd love to see them transfer it to an animated setting without messing it up.


Anything by Takarai Rihito honestly. As long as they captured the charm of her art, because it is beautiful. I'd kill for an Elektel Delusion anime too.


PrinceJudar wrote:

No.6 is my favorite when it comes to yaoi anime.

I wish there were more like it.


No. 6 isn't yaoi though. It's a work that features a homosexual relationship, but the main focus isn't their relationship, so it's not classed as BL. I adore the series though, the novels were beautifully written and the characters have a wonderful relationship. I would love more works like it. If you haven't already, totally recommend the novels because they explore Shion and Nezumi's relationship even more and it's better executed. Also you get to read No. 6: Beyond!


Muireal wrote:

If it aint hardcore it aint yaoi..it's shounen-ai. But since CR doesn't show hentai, it is unreasonable to ask them to show yaoi..in any case yaoi anime is few. Even shounen-ai is few. But I feel your pain.


This is wrong. In Japan they do not use the classification of yaoi/shounen ai. Shounen ai has actually only been used in the west when it comes to referring to manga and anime. They only use the term BL to address all works featuring homosexual characters that are aimed at women. If it's an adult work they slap an 18+ rating on it. Shounen ai has a pedophilia weight to it and means you like younger boys and yaoi is just an outdated term they don't use anymore.


I consider Yaoi to be anything that primarily focuses on a homosexual relationship between two central characters myself, whether mild or not, and I put the same qualifications for yuri, but to each their own. The only yaoi I find to be pretty much repulsive is shota stuff, that's just pedophilia. Boku no Ew ew and all that make me wanna throw up my dinner and I Have a pretty strong stomach.

As for No.6, I like that there is a homosexual relationship involved too but yeah it's not OUTRIGHT yaoi.

What I think anime needs is more bisexaul characters. They're so often only implied. I want outright bisexuals in anime more. I feel like there's too much weight on either being gay or lesbian but i think yaoi mangas actually have more guys who are shown to be seemingly attracted to women, even if it's not the primary focus, like there're some guys in BL who'll flirt with women but also be interested in guys and it's not always faked and they actually kinda like both? I would prefer more of that too.

Japan is just so conservative at lest when compared to the US. They have more identity policing going on there.Mostly from the older gen, but it's still annoying. Asia itself is just so lenient on being conservative. Like i have this person I know from Hong Kong, and we're not really friends but we talked and they GOT SO IRKED wehn I used to be really vulgar around them CAUSE THAT'S NOT THE NORM THERE YO.

No, I would prefer more Japanese media to be like something between normal, decent stuff, and gritty stuff like head chopping Kill Bill or Battle Royale fights to the death, or even Helter Skelter level breakdowns. If you catch my drift, I want them to be a little more outrageous. There are plenty of people there capable of making such content who are scared to face backlash for it, but I respect the ones who've done so thus far, Now if only more animators were willing to do the same thing. It's mostly movie mavens who've done it thus far; technically I know tarantino isn't Japanese but since KB I was to an extent set in Japan I see it as also trying to appeal to the JP audience too. I want unlikable characters with sad backstories. I want Takashi Nasujimas. I want them in my JP media more. Now. I want sly psychopaths who enjoy torturing people. I want people who you can love and hate at the same time. Not imouto archetypes. I want GRIT, DARKNESS, and EVIL. YAOI MANGA MORE OFTEN HAS THAT THAN ANY OTHER ANIMANGA FORM. I want abusive parents who don't fit 100% archetype, I want parents who hurt and scar their children, and for those children to grow up to become twisted, warped, and evil. I want to see generations of evil in action. I just want creepier, darker anime.
22895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 8/14/15
There is definetly more yaoi Manga then anime but its there and lots enough for trucks loads to fit in convention hall
20 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 8/14/15
I wouldn't mind seeing some more yaoi, as long as it was good, maybe bring in some of the lesser known or some old favorites. All types should get more and more anime, but when found lacking and enough wanting, why not beef up that specific type some? sounds good to me
XIIIII 
5037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / UK
Offline
Posted 8/14/15
I need my yaoi nowie and my yuri furry and by god i need it NOW!
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/15/15 , edited 8/15/15

Charizam wrote:
No. 6 isn't yaoi though. It's a work that features a homosexual relationship, but the main focus isn't their relationship, so it's not classed as BL. I adore the series though, the novels were beautifully written and the characters have a wonderful relationship. I would love more works like it. If you haven't already, totally recommend the novels because they explore Shion and Nezumi's relationship even more and it's better executed. Also you get to read No. 6: Beyond!


It's still a better developed homosexual relationship then most, despite it not being the main focus. So it's yaoi for me in that aspect. lol. It was just way more natural.

Yeah I definitely have to read the novels.

19493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States, DE
Offline
Posted 8/15/15 , edited 8/15/15
Um, how about YES?

But on the other hand, since CR is heavily censored, this might not be the best place to watch yaoi. (Same concept with ecchi anime.)

But this girl wouldn't be complaining if they did add more yaoi, so hey.

Also, yuri would be good too plz&thnx.
Posted 8/15/15

animegirl2222 wrote:


I consider Yaoi to be anything that primarily focuses on a homosexual relationship between two central characters myself, whether mild or not, and I put the same qualifications for yuri, but to each their own. The only yaoi I find to be pretty much repulsive is shota stuff, that's just pedophilia. Boku no Ew ew and all that make me wanna throw up my dinner and I Have a pretty strong stomach.


See, I would classify yaoi as that too, but after the gay manga artists came out and said they didn't want their work referred to as that I make sure to differentiate now between yaoi/BL and gay comics because I don't want to disrespect the LGBT authors who are writing for a separate audience.


animegirl2222 wrote:

What I think anime needs is more bisexaul characters. They're so often only implied. I want outright bisexuals in anime more. I feel like there's too much weight on either being gay or lesbian but i think yaoi mangas actually have more guys who are shown to be seemingly attracted to women, even if it's not the primary focus, like there're some guys in BL who'll flirt with women but also be interested in guys and it's not always faked and they actually kinda like both? I would prefer more of that too.


I would love to see more bisexual characters! Yaoi tends to have more 'bisexual' characters in a sense, you're right, but it's mostly cause they usually have that cliche that's all, 'I'm only gay for you!' or whatever, thankfully that's dying out.


animegirl2222 wrote:

No, I would prefer more Japanese media to be like something between normal, decent stuff, and gritty stuff like head chopping Kill Bill or Battle Royale fights to the death, or even Helter Skelter level breakdowns. If you catch my drift, I want them to be a little more outrageous. There are plenty of people there capable of making such content who are scared to face backlash for it, but I respect the ones who've done so thus far, Now if only more animators were willing to do the same thing. It's mostly movie mavens who've done it thus far; technically I know tarantino isn't Japanese but since KB I was to an extent set in Japan I see it as also trying to appeal to the JP audience too. I want unlikable characters with sad backstories. I want Takashi Nasujimas. I want them in my JP media more. Now. I want sly psychopaths who enjoy torturing people. I want people who you can love and hate at the same time. Not imouto archetypes. I want GRIT, DARKNESS, and EVIL. YAOI MANGA MORE OFTEN HAS THAT THAN ANY OTHER ANIMANGA FORM. I want abusive parents who don't fit 100% archetype, I want parents who hurt and scar their children, and for those children to grow up to become twisted, warped, and evil. I want to see generations of evil in action. I just want creepier, darker anime.


If you want that type of stuff you might want to watch the older yaoi that was animated back in the 90's and 80's. Those had more of a dark and psychological focus to them then the newer stuff that tends to be produced. They were also pretty tragic stuff. Stuff like Ai no Kusabi, Legend of the Blue Wolves. Mirage of Blaze, Descendants of Darkness, Loveless and stuff, all pretty dark and with more supernatural focus. I can see the appeal of that stuff, but I already exhausted the old stuff and while I enjoyed it I definitely enjoy the new trend of domestic, comedic stuff more. That's just me though. I would like more psychological series, but it doesn't have to be dark to be good. Welcome to the NHK did a good job at that, and I think Ten Count does a good job at having a serious tone, but not getting dark. I wish though that series would gloss over how unethical the relationship is, but it being fantasy probably prevent that. Anyway, yeah, I'm lame and want the more domestic stuff, haha.

5276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Online
Posted 8/15/15
It's not that crunchyroll is heavily censored. They just get the TV version.

Crunchyroll prioritizes new shows, and BL titles are once in a blue moon.
255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/15/15
no
5010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Oxfordshire
Offline
Posted 8/15/15
Does Crunchyroll have any yaoi to begin with?
Posted 8/15/15

chloboshoka wrote:

Does Crunchyroll have any yaoi to begin with?


They have Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, Love Stage!!, and Dramatical Murder.
No. 6 is a work featuring a homosexual couple, but it's not classed as romance or BL.
They used to have Uraboku, but I think that expired.
50983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 8/15/15 , edited 8/15/15
Somebody else said it, they have to reflect the demo of what comes out in Japan.

There are 2 other considerations:

1) The cost of the shows (although Yaoi shows are almost certainly pretty cheap when they actually arrive so this works in their favor)
2) Their internal analytics. CR has to have a really good idea on what the viewership of the genre is (based on the smattering of shows they have), and that probably makes it really easy to decide how much it's worth spending to acquire the licence for a show.

They're a business, so the only way to get them to license more Yaoi is to prove to them it'll drive viewership by getting more people to watch the yaoi (or yaoi-related) stuff they have.
Posted 8/15/15
Yes.
859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Neptunia
Offline
Posted 8/15/15
If more yaoi also comes with more yuri, then sure why not
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.