First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you find cooking hard?
33050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/27/15
Do I find cooking easy?

Hah! Eat your damn heart out Food Network.
33369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 6/27/15
I find it hard to figure out what to eat than cooking.
13881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/27/15
I cook almost everything I eat. Even advanced stuff is easy as long as you just follow the recipe and don't go all creative on it, something I had to learn the hard way.
6241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 6/27/15
Cooking is the hardest thing to to do...
I can't even make a simple cheese sandwich
For some reason it became squishy and weird
And tasted horrible...
14767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/27/15 , edited 6/27/15
Any time anyone says they can't understand cooking, I always tell the same two folktales:
One is the Stone Soup story you were sick of hearing retold as a kid, and the other was an old Russian folktale about


The first story teaches us that you can make the most basic dish better just by constantly adding that one more ingredient, and the second teaches us that there's nothing you can't make with the simplest ingredients you have lying around.
After that, it's all just down to knowing how, and that's easier than it looks.
36147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Cloud 9.
Offline
Posted 6/27/15 , edited 6/27/15
Cooking is very easy.

The hard part is cleaning up afterwards.
18767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / London
Offline
Posted 6/27/15

Loplyful wrote:

Cooking is the hardest thing to to do...
I can't even make a simple cheese sandwich
For some reason it became squishy and weird
And tasted horrible...


how come? lmao
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/27/15 , edited 6/27/15
Cooking becomes easier as you gain experience. Stovetop stuff is easy for me now. It's all about temperature control and knowing how much or how little stuff to add. Crock pots make preparing hearty stews even easier. Induction ranges are making temperature control easier.

Trial and error will teach you a lot. Use measuring cups and spoons if you're just starting out or you're using expensive ingredients. And use common sense. Stir to prevent stuff from sticking, add enough oil, and don't leave the kitchen to watch TV when the stove is on.

14767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/27/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

Cooking becomes easier as you gain experience. Stovetop stuff is easy for me now. It's all about temperature control and knowing how much or how little stuff to add. Crock pots make preparing hearty stews even easier..


Stews, nothing, there's a hundred kinds of soups, and they barely need a recipe to follow--Just an intuitive sense for spices, ingredients, and how much percentage of water/broth to dump into the crockpot, and an entire afternoon that you don't even have to be there to supervise.
Crockpot snobs on cooking shows say "Good soup recipes need some preparation, it's not about just dumping things in!" I say HA!--To the beginning dorm-apartment cook, dumping things into the crockpot to see what comes out is the first hands-on education to learning to take control of your own kitchen.
And once you learn that the crockpot can also roast beef and poultry, or braise meatballs in sauce, also without supervision, consider yourself on the master path.

The same is true for Stir-Fry meat & vegetables, once you get yourself a good wok, or a high-edged skillet, and a bottle of garlic-ginger infused wok oil.
5619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/27/15
I actually enjoy it alot and trying to cook new things
YouTube and googling recipes
Its pretty fun. Sometimes you screw up, but hey its a learning process
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/27/15

Ejanss wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

Cooking becomes easier as you gain experience. Stovetop stuff is easy for me now. It's all about temperature control and knowing how much or how little stuff to add. Crock pots make preparing hearty stews even easier..


Stews, nothing, there's a hundred kinds of soups, and they barely need a recipe to follow--Just an intuitive sense for spices, ingredients, and how much percentage of water/broth to dump into the crockpot, and an entire afternoon that you don't even have to be there to supervise.
Crockpot snobs on cooking shows say "Good soup recipes need some preparation, it's not about just dumping things in!" I say HA!--To the beginning dorm-apartment cook, dumping things into the crockpot to see what comes out is the first hands-on education to learning to take control of your own kitchen.
And once you learn that the crockpot can also roast beef and poultry, or braise meatballs in sauce, also without supervision, consider yourself on the master path.

The same is true for Stir-Fry meat & vegetables, once you get yourself a good wok, or a high-edged skillet, and a bottle of garlic-ginger infused wok oil.


To be fair, there's a degree of truth to the statement that prep is good even if it's a crock pot. Throwing stuff in is easy and you get a reasonably decent meal, but prep is what gives the dish that extra boost to take it up a notch. It's up to the cook to decide if that extra effort is worth it.

Sesame oil is best with wok dishes. If you want garlic or ginger flavor, just smash a few cloves and a few knobs and fry them a little first. I was never a fan of infused or combination oils. I use lard, unrefined sesame oil, rice bran oil, and Japanese canola oil. Tried coconut before, too, but I hated it. There goes my health.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/27/15
wait but if none of you are cooking.. then how do you eat? Surely you're not ordering out every single meal? And if you are.................................................................... are you ok? lol
6163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Off the map.
Offline
Posted 6/27/15
The hardest parts are figuring out what to cook, making too much, and needing to pull myself from an anime to cook. Otherwise, its eat out.

Baking, cheesecakes are in the bag .
1240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/27/15
Just throw a slab of steak on the stove no matter how red it comes back it's still good to eat.
Posted 6/27/15
Easy been cookin for years
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.