First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply How come no one ever says, "It's only a game" when their team is winning?
3328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 6/30/15 , edited 6/30/15
So I was assigned to cover a basketball game last sunday for our local newspaper. Let's name the teams Seirin and Rakuzan. During the first quarter, Seirin team is dominating, 9 points ahead from Rakuzan. Before the 2nd quarter begun, i interviewed the forward of the team who is also the ace player (lets call him Taiga) "Are you confident that your team is gonna win this game in a landslide score?" I asked. "Of course, this is a do or die game! We're gonna bring the bacon home!" Taiga answered.

So the score tied up at the end of 3rd quarter. 74-74. During the last quarter, Rakuzan team managed to display exquisite offense with three consecutive jump shots by their ace, Murasakibara, and a three-pt shot. They ended the game with the score 105-92.

While on my way out of the stadium, i passed on Seirin's bench. I've heard Taiga said to one of his team mates, "It's okay. It's just a game anyway."

So yea, ive been thinking this for quite awhile, is that considered an act of sportmanship? Or an excuse for losing the game? How come no one ever says, "It's only a game" when their team is winning?

What's your opinion?

7547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 6/30/15 , edited 6/30/15
No one needs any consolation after a victory.
Posted 6/30/15
I don't think anyone should be saying "it's only a game" if you're actually playing it competitively. It's more than a game, you want to win to prove you're better you wanna not lose, you wanna go all the way. "It's only a game" is a way for losers to make themselves feel better.
1113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 6/30/15

geauxtigers1989 wrote:

No one needs any consolation after a victory.


Precisely this. 'Taiga' and his team obviously wanted to win, even if it is "just a game". Because they are passionate they cared that they didn't win, and so he wanted to soften the blow.
3328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 6/30/15

haikinka wrote:

I don't think anyone should be saying "it's only a game" if you're actually playing it competitively. It's more than a game, you want to win to prove you're better you wanna not lose, you wanna go all the way. "It's only a game" is a way for losers to make themselves feel better.


What's the "do or die" phrase for if there's an "it's only a game" statement Lawl
Posted 6/30/15
I guess because they've won, they deserve to be ecstatic about it to some degree. There are such a thing as a sore winner , but thats life. People like to put to flaunt their achievement, no matter how insignificant to reality that be. .
1025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 6/30/15
Actually, I say that all the time when playing online, winning or losing. Mostly in response to people getting really worked up over something, to which I respond "It's a game, bro, some of us are only playing to have fun, win or lose!"
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/30/15
Actually... say it all the time on online gaming, win or lose. Mostly for the benefit of those who seem to forget.
Posted 6/30/15 , edited 6/30/15
Its to make themselves feel better if they lose. Cuz obviously people already feel better since they won. (No matter what the game is)
In 9th grade sometimes we'd play jeopardy games for fun and everyone goes hard as fuck during those.
The idea of winning is a hard feeling to pass tbh.
3328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 6/30/15

TalynWulf wrote:

Actually, I say that all the time when playing online, winning or losing. Mostly in response to people getting really worked up over something, to which I respond "It's a game, bro, some of us are only playing to have fun, win or lose!"


Lawl. I suddenly remembered my lol teammates would always say that everytime we lose a ranked game.

24932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 6/30/15 , edited 6/30/15

emcee0111 wrote:
So yea, ive been thinking this for quite awhile, is that considered an act of sportmanship? Or an excuse for losing the game? How come no one ever says, "It's only a game" when their team is winning?


People do say it's only a game when they're winning.

Obviously, we'd pretend it's the most important thing in the world if we were trying to impress coaches and fans with our enthusiasm and dedication.

Otherwise, it's just a game, after all.
84308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 6/30/15
There's no good reason to feel bad feelings when what you're doing is supposed to be for fun.

At least, that's a valid answer to what their logic is. However, saying "it's just a game" I find to be very belittling of the investment of time and skills that are a part of that fun. What's more important than being aware that you came there to have fun, is to be aware of the fun you should be experiencing winning or losing.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/30/15

emcee0111 wrote:


TalynWulf wrote:

Actually, I say that all the time when playing online, winning or losing. Mostly in response to people getting really worked up over something, to which I respond "It's a game, bro, some of us are only playing to have fun, win or lose!"


Lawl. I suddenly remembered my lol teammates would always say that everytime we lose a ranked game.



Who cares? It is just a game.
3328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 6/30/15

TerraGamerX wrote:

There's no good reason to feel bad feelings when what you're doing is supposed to be for fun.

At least, that's a valid answer to what their logic is. However, saying "it's just a game" I find to be very belittling of the investment of time and skills that are a part of that fun. What's more important than being aware that you came there to have fun, is to be aware of the fun you should be experiencing winning or losing.


Exactly. Not to mention that the game is basketball.

3119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 6/30/15
Because you're winning, so why would you need consolation? You'll never hear that from me though because it's never just a game.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.