First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Support dropped for Samsung TVs
The Wise Wizard
99913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 7/22/15

eduardohmdacruz wrote:

If I decide to buy new hardware, I want something that is also able to run Netflix.
This excludes Roku and Pi+Kodi.

I'm surprised Roku doesn't support Netflix in your country. Roku was originally designed specifically for streaming Netflix, and here in the US, Netflix supports anything that can stream video. (Of course, Netflix's subscriber base here in the US is so large that even if only 1% of their subscriber base used a device, it would would be more than all of CR's subscribers).

10046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/22/15 , edited 8/1/16
Well, as a Samsung owner I'm frustrated angry and pissed, so I'm not renewing my subscription once it ends.

Yet theres a Glitchy Workaround for keep Streaming Crunchyroll in the Smart TV without buying any new hw.
...be adviced, is slow as hell, and it doesn't playback subtitles yet.

Most Samsung with SmartHub's have a Build-in (Glitchy awful) Smart Browser... or just webbrowser.

Since Crunchyroll Still supports Flash, is possible to enter Manually Crunchyroll.com within the browser, With a frustrating laggy cursor, Login and Stream.

it's a workaround but it took me 15 minutes struggling with the cursor, getting stuck at my Queue, from login/search something and adjust Quality. But the Results are pretty similar to the app. once you go into the Full screen.

... except for the missing subtitles. it should work fine.

There's no way to enable subtitles so far, maybe asking support for "playback issues" within the browser but i couldn't go that far.
yet~ "it's Something" better than nothing.



54043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / MInnesota
Offline
Posted 7/22/15 , edited 7/22/15
Sooooo I find out here that I am losing support for my favorite streaming app behind netflix on my smart tv... NO NOTICE!!!! Apparently as a premium member who uses their Samsung smart tv for it every week I am not supposed to get notification about this.

How about you guys over at crunchyroll get your acts together and start actually providing updates for apps on as many devices as you can. Otherwise I am going to jump ship to the first company that offers streaming service of current anime.

Thankfully I have a PS4 but I really preferred using my smart TV. I am really ticked off that you yanked support for an app that I pay premium support to get...

58668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 7/22/15

Olafthor wrote:

Sooooo I find out here that I am losing support for my favorite streaming app behind netflix on my smart tv... NO NOTICE!!!! Apparently as a premium member who uses their Samsung smart tv for it every week I am not supposed to get notification about this.

How about you guys over at crunchyroll get your acts together and start actually providing updates for apps on as many devices as you can. Otherwise I am going to jump ship to the first company that offers streaming service of current anime.

Thankfully I have a PS4 but I really preferred using my smart TV. I am really ticked off that you yanked support for an app that I pay premium support to get...


There was apparently an email notice that went out to users who primarily watched via the smart TV apps. There was also a notice posted in the forums by a CR staff member.
31211 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / US, TX
Offline
Posted 7/22/15
Mine was still working until yesterday im so mad
26021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/22/15
Hello there!, supporting CR since it was available in my country, watched on my Samsung the Smart TV app, and then suddenly it was no more. I feel betrayed. This is in fact "NOT A SMART MOVE" by the administration. There better be a good press release, giving a rational answer to this nonsense.
22126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/22/15
Press release? Well some like me got an email but some did not for some reason. Here is the text of the email they sent:

An Important Announcement Regarding Smart TV Support
crunchyroll.com
Thank you for supporting Crunchyroll and the Anime Industry.

We wanted to reach out and let you know that as of July 15th, 2015, we will no longer be supporting the following devices: Samsung TV, Panasonic TV, Google TV, and Ouya. We are discontinuing support on these devices to focus our development teams and improve the Crunchyroll experience across other platforms. This doesn't mean we won't consider supporting these devices in the future, but for now, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Though service for these devices is being discontinued, we are aware of the demand for and importance of the ability to enjoy our content in your living room. We will continue to work our hardest to be able to offer access in as many ways as possible.

Click here to view our full list of supported devices. If you have any questions regarding your subscription or your service, please feel free to respond directly to this email and we'll help you out!

Regards,
The Crunchyroll Team
rrw_au 
23043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 7/22/15 , edited 7/23/15
Still love click for supported devices, waste of time as it's not all countries.
19042 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/15 , edited 7/23/15

eyeofpain wrote:


Olafthor wrote:

Sooooo I find out here that I am losing support for my favorite streaming app behind netflix on my smart tv... NO NOTICE!!!! Apparently as a premium member who uses their Samsung smart tv for it every week I am not supposed to get notification about this.

How about you guys over at crunchyroll get your acts together and start actually providing updates for apps on as many devices as you can. Otherwise I am going to jump ship to the first company that offers streaming service of current anime.

Thankfully I have a PS4 but I really preferred using my smart TV. I am really ticked off that you yanked support for an app that I pay premium support to get...


There was apparently an email notice that went out to users who primarily watched via the smart TV apps. There was also a notice posted in the forums by a CR staff member.


Apparently so, but clearly it didn't go out to all the relevant users as can be seen by some of the comments in this thread. They could have included it in their newsletter if they wanted to ensure everyone was aware. Maybe a sticky in the forum, a post on the front page of the website..... The forum post you are referring to was made in reply to someone reporting they couldn't find it on the app store. Chances are if that thread wasn't made then nothing would have been said at all. That post and any other support-related posts for Samsung were shortly removed altogether.

Despite this thread being near the top of the Support forum for some time we are still yet to hear an explanation from a member of staff other than "some people didn't get the message".

As someone who works in IT I can fully understand the potential reasons for them discontinuing support. It's the lack of communication with [paying] users that gets me.

----------

Olafthor, I am in a similar boat to you. The main difference being that the Playstation apps are not available outside of the US meaning our device selection is significantly more limited. There is a workaround whereby you can create an additional PSN user, feed it a random US postal address, and download the app via the US store but I would hazard a guess that this is not a supported solution from Crunchyroll.
1014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
So, CR's excuse this time is, "we're having trouble fixing our systems, so we decided to Gut the use of over half if not more streaming systems because of gross incompetence on our part, but we'll still gladly charge you a fee for a service you cannot access."

This is why places like Netflix and Hulu are clobbering CR. CR cares little about their customer base and more about their pockets, and every time they make a grand announcement to fix these issues with those systems, it takes months and now this, they just shot themselves in the foot.
7514 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / 11
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
I'm so sad to find out here that it's also removed my from Samsung TV

Viewster seems to have problems as well, but that's a different matter
20040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
>If you want to discontinue your premium membership and request a pro-rated refund, you'll need to ask customer service directly (via the "Contact Us" form) and see what they say.

I used the 'Contact Us' form to ask them what the status of the app was when it stopped working a couple of days ago, and have had zero response in 48 hours. Between dropping support for the app, not notifying premium customers, and not responding to support questions about it, all in all it's a pretty disappointing performance.
Der Zoodirektor
23403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 7/23/15 , edited 7/23/15

monongahelamonster wrote:

>If you want to discontinue your premium membership and request a pro-rated refund, you'll need to ask customer service directly (via the "Contact Us" form) and see what they say.

I used the 'Contact Us' form to ask them what the status of the app was when it stopped working a couple of days ago, and have had zero response in 48 hours. Between dropping support for the app, not notifying premium customers, and not responding to support questions about it, all in all it's a pretty disappointing performance.


I'll check if I can find your ticket and forward it appropriately.

*edit* Said and done.
22126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
SlipStr34mUK I agree they should have informed all users of the devices to be discontinued maybe a newsletter since the individual mail didn't reach all. I got it but was still angry it was only about 2 weeks notice. I don't think they make decisions to cut devices off that quickly before action, would be nice if they gave a couple months so we could plan for it. I feel pretty dumb buying a device CR "supports", I should have done an htpc
12014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
Man that sucks, one of the deciding factors for me in buying a Smart Samsung TV was that it was one of the few smart TVs that supported crunchyroll
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.