Foodie Rant
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/1/15
So... everyone's starting threads about things they hold dear to their heart, so I thought I would do the same.

Today, I bought a crunchy roll. Was a first for me. I eat sushi when I get the chance, but I always try to get something new. I love trying new foods. :)

It got me to thinking. See, around here (rural deep east Texas), the most common thought on sushi is "I don't like it," accompanied by a look of disgust and horror. When you ask why, the most common response is "I ain't eating no raw fish."

/facepalm

Let me explain this to all you kind folks who probably already completely grasp it, to fulfill my own need for attention and validation.

Saying you don't like sushi, which you will not try because "it's raw fish," is roughly the same as saying you don't like sandwiches because you won't eat turkey. Not all sushi includes raw fish. In fact, much of it is cooked. And when I try to explain this to people, I get stared at like I'm telling them Elvis is alive or that I was abducted by aliens. This cold blank stare of doubt and discomfort. It's utterly offensive.

But, let's suppose that all sushi did consist of raw fish (which I have tried, and find tolerable). So what? Often, these are the very same people who suck down raw oysters and eat steaks rare... both of which I also love, by the way. So, they're basically prematurely judging something that is the rough equivalent to something they fully support, without any logical reasoning? The hypocrites!

How dare they refuse to try the food I love! How dare they sum up its worth in a single inaccurate sentence. It's discrimination, pure and simple.

And this isn't a problem with sushi alone, oh no sirree. When I was in Italy, the Staff Sergeant above me advised me to not try the pizza. "Cuz it ain't the same as 'Murican pizza." Against his advisement, and due to my forward thinking and open-mindedness, I tried and loved it. Actually, I'd kill for a real, brick-oven, baked with wood flames, Italian pizza.... actually, just a bit of real Italian mozzarella would be dandy.

I also tried the calamari in Italy... mmmm good. No breading or deep frying, just a bit of olive oil, a touch of seasoning, and lemon to squeeze over the top. Yet, the look of horror I get when I suggest someone around here try the deep fried variety at the local Olive Garden. It's saddening... we live in turbulent times, folks. The ignorance of these ingrates, insulting my food suggestions, which could open their eyes to new possibilities and completely change the course of their lives!

And beer.... the very same can be said of beer. Trying to get my father-in-law to drink anything other than Miller Lite is like pulling teeth. FINE! You want to drink the beer equivalent of a Big Mac, you be my guest. (actually, it is much more the equivalent of a Whopper Jr.... but who is really taking me seriously, at this point?)

Anyway, I just wanted to get that off my chest. Really, though... I'll be fine. As long as the law permits me to eat what I want, why in the hell do I care what other people think? If the fact that other people find my eating habits disgusting bothers me too much, I can either stop eating what I want, or I can carry myself down to the sushi bar, despite their opinions, and grab myself a "grow the fuck up" roll.

I can understand it, though.... I'll eat anything that crawls by slow enough.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/1/15
Umm.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/1/15 , edited 7/1/15
I understand where you are coming from OP but it also sounds very exaggerated. I was stationed in Texas for a long time and even lived around the North-Eastern border following discharge, the only person in almost a year there who had any negative reaction even close to that, to any type of food, was a Nigerian immigrant I had met. His reaction was almost exactly what you described but more out of confusion than disgust, he said sushi is pretty much unheard of where he comes from. I get where you are coming from but something dear to my heart, is when people wrongly perpetuate stereotypes about the south.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/1/15 , edited 7/1/15
I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to sushi. Most of the fish I eat in sushi needs to be raw. No cheese, deep frying, mayo, jalapenos, tuna or salmon spicy scrape, teriyaki sauce, etc. Fish, veggies, perfectly vinegared rice...that's about it. Sushi is supposed to be minimalist and proper in its approach, IMO. It is delicious because it is simple but lots of care goes into choosing and cutting the ingredients. It's also an acquired taste. Once you are used to eating sushi and you learn to enjoy it, it brings great joy. There's no point in destroying it by adding cheese and rich sauces to bring it into your comfort zone.

What bothers me more is when people say they love sushi but follow that up by saying they don't like raw fish. What, exactly, are you eating if you're eating deep fried, mayo-filled abominations?

People in the US are pretty scared to try new things, from what I've experienced. They stay with the foods in their comfort zones. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't mean other foods aren't worth eating.
Posted 7/1/15
Eh, their loss, just let me eat in peace.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/1/15 , edited 7/1/15

Punk_Mela wrote:

I understand where you are coming from OP but it also sounds very exaggerated. I was stationed in Texas for a long time and even lived around the North-Eastern border following discharge, the only person in almost a year there who had any negative reaction even close to that, to any type of food, was a Nigerian immigrant I had met. His reaction was almost exactly what you described but more out of confusion than disgust, he said sushi is pretty much unheard of where he comes from. I get where you are coming from but something dear to my heart, is when people wrongly perpetuate stereotypes about the south.


LOL. It's called satire, my friend.

And, actually, Texas is a large state, with various types of people (all of which are "crazy ass Texans" in their own way, no doubt). This is exactly why I specified WHERE in Texas.
22932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/1/15
Here in my area you have to wait in line 30 minutes if your lucky to get a chair at Sushi bar its so popular forget about table. I always buy the guy making the Sushi either a beer or sake his choice when I order my portions are bigger than most good fun and great place when your by yourself
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/1/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


Punk_Mela wrote:

I understand where you are coming from OP but it also sounds very exaggerated. I was stationed in Texas for a long time and even lived around the North-Eastern border following discharge, the only person in almost a year there who had any negative reaction even close to that, to any type of food, was a Nigerian immigrant I had met. His reaction was almost exactly what you described but more out of confusion than disgust, he said sushi is pretty much unheard of where he comes from. I get where you are coming from but something dear to my heart, is when people wrongly perpetuate stereotypes about the south.


LOL. It's called satire, my friend.

And, actually, Texas is a large state, with various types of people (all of which are "crazy ass Texans" in their own way, no doubt). This is exactly why I specified WHERE in Texas.


^^^Having just stated I lived in Texas for year, in a similar region, I am acutely aware of how big Texas is. And while you may find some argument for why that should be technically be classified as "satire" it doesn't negate the fact that it perpetuates a false stereotype. Friend.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/1/15

Punk_Mela wrote:
^^^Having just stated I lived in Texas for year, in a similar region, I am acutely aware of how big Texas is. And while you may find some argument for why that should be technically be classified as "satire" it doesn't negate the fact that it perpetuates a false stereotype. Friend.


LOL. This post is a piece of satire. And your response is what we call irony.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/1/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


Punk_Mela wrote:
^^^Having just stated I lived in Texas for year, in a similar region, I am acutely aware of how big Texas is. And while you may find some argument for why that should be technically be classified as "satire" it doesn't negate the fact that it perpetuates a false stereotype. Friend.


LOL. This post is a piece of satire. And your response is what we call irony.


"we" being the other freshman in your 9th grade English class or "we" being your internet friends who told you what satire is? Because you are correct, it would count as satire, that's why I said it was in my last post. Good, creative, or clever satire, not so much.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/1/15
Ok, bud, whatever you say. ;)
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/1/15 , edited 7/1/15
Well, the attempt it what matters. Better luck with the whole satire thing next time. Bud
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/1/15 , edited 7/1/15
Ah, I see that you are one of those "last word" types.

That's alright with me, you go ahead and get that last word in after I post this. This is my last post. ;)

Of course, you can prove me wrong, and not post anything, which I know will frustrate you to the point of distraction...

Or, you can go ahead and think of the most clever response you have, and prove me right.

Was nice talking with you. :)


(Oh, I see you chose to message me, instead. How clever of you. Way to prove me wrong. LOL)
One Punch Mod
85857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/1/15 , edited 7/1/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:

Ah, I see that you are one of those "last word" types.

That's alright with me, you go ahead and get that last word in after I post this. This is my last post. ;)

Of course, you can prove me wrong, and not post anything, which I know will frustrate you to the point of distraction...

Or, you can go ahead and think of the most clever response you have, and prove me right.

Was nice talking with you. :)


(Oh, I see you chose to message me, instead. How clever of you. Way to prove me wrong. LOL)


Gonna take the last word (in the thread at least), because I'm closing it.

Rants that don't explicitly invite discussion from others are sometimes okay because people find something to discuss anyway and carry along quite respectably, and we usually leave those open.

However, rants that don't explicitly invite discussion and and quickly lead to bickering about form rather than substance and personal insult aren't fun for anybody (except sometimes the people bickering if they like bickering), and we usually close those.

Which has now been done here.
You must be logged in to post.