First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply America vs Japan: Mech Battle
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/5/15 , edited 7/5/15
The US is going to get so roflstomped. I'm from the States... and I said it.
23631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/5/15 , edited 7/5/15
From an engineering point of view, in a properly simulated, or even real world combat between those two, I would have to give it to the american robot. Why?

Complexity breeds failure. The American one is more solidly built, lower profile and much more stable. The Japanese one has maneuverability, but that is where tactics come in. The stable platform used by the american one and it's low center of gravity offsets that in an uneven environment. Plus there is the budget difference as well. Japanese one does have more precise control and targeting am sure. Again, between the two am sure there is a considerable cost difference, but the american precision issues can be quite easily corrected.

This type of logic is not without precedence. It can be easily found in the history of WW2 with tank development as the war went on. The Germans had a superior tank on paper. Could run forever, had all this performance and the like. Once in the field, it didn't matter. The complexity meant that they were harder to repair. They took longer to build, and easier to disrupt. Sure the Allied tank division tanks had trash build quality, but they didn't need it. They needed to take a hit, get to the front line and be able to be fixed by a guy who is dodging artillery.
9565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Laguna Hills, Cal...
Offline
Posted 7/5/15

Vaporisor wrote:

From an engineering point of view, in a properly simulated, or even real world combat between those two, I would have to give it to the american robot. Why?

Complexity breeds failure. The American one is more solidly built, lower profile and much more stable. The Japanese one has maneuverability, but that is where tactics come in. The stable platform used by the american one and it's low center of gravity offsets that in an uneven environment. Plus there is the budget difference as well. Japanese one does have more precise control and targeting am sure. Again, between the two am sure there is a considerable cost difference, but the american precision issues can be quite easily corrected.

This type of logic is not without precedence. It can be easily found in the history of WW2 with tank development as the war went on. The Germans had a superior tank on paper. Could run forever, had all this performance and the like. Once in the field, it didn't matter. The complexity meant that they were harder to repair. They took longer to build, and easier to disrupt. Sure the Allied tank division tanks had trash build quality, but they didn't need it. They needed to take a hit, get to the front line and be able to be fixed by a guy who is dodging artillery.




38 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M
Offline
Posted 7/5/15

Vaporisor wrote:

From an engineering point of view, in a properly simulated, or even real world combat between those two, I would have to give it to the american robot. Why?

Complexity breeds failure. The American one is more solidly built, lower profile and much more stable. The Japanese one has maneuverability, but that is where tactics come in. The stable platform used by the american one and it's low center of gravity offsets that in an uneven environment. Plus there is the budget difference as well. Japanese one does have more precise control and targeting am sure. Again, between the two am sure there is a considerable cost difference, but the american precision issues can be quite easily corrected.

This type of logic is not without precedence. It can be easily found in the history of WW2 with tank development as the war went on. The Germans had a superior tank on paper. Could run forever, had all this performance and the like. Once in the field, it didn't matter. The complexity meant that they were harder to repair. They took longer to build, and easier to disrupt. Sure the Allied tank division tanks had trash build quality, but they didn't need it. They needed to take a hit, get to the front line and be able to be fixed by a guy who is dodging artillery.


F-35. 'nuff said.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/5/15 , edited 7/5/15

discoceris wrote:


F-35. 'nuff said.


You had to remind me. Our country is still buying some. My government is stupid.
23631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/5/15

discoceris wrote:

F-35. 'nuff said.


That actually supports my statement. F-35=Japanese mech, F-16=American mech. Reason? F-35 is essentially a sniper for airplanes, not engage in combat. It is extremely complex and expensive for what amounts to hit and run. In a slugfest, it is in trouble.
28205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/5/15
This scares me, I think I will be dead before we get there but I do see these robots running around unmanned and with brains able to keep the peace or kill. People need to pay attention to laws being passed and the small small details that you might not see when they only talk about the other side... patriot act is a major example... takes our emotions and then takes away our freedoms.
24564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/6/15
4460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M / CALIFORNIA woop woop
Offline
Posted 7/6/15
Gonna be fun to watch. My money is on team Japan. Just seems like Japan has been more interested in mech and has more experienced with robots. Though the U.S wouldn't be too far back. They sure love war.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/6/15
Challenging Japan to a robot battle is suicide. I believe they are way ahead tech-wise and are practical enough to correct issues before entering battle. It should be fun to watch, though. Even though the Japanese design is probably more sophisticated, the current American bot is considerably larger. Then, again, more moving parts = less reliability and durability.

Yes, the thing about the tanks is true, but this is a one-on-one battle. Reminds me of the Robot Wars show I used to watch religiously as a kid. Sophistication didn't mean too much in a one-on-one direct clash on a flat battleground but it does play a role in allowing certain bots to do extra helpful things, like flip themselves up after being thrown on their backs. Or carry extra firepower when they have reached peak efficiency in other aspects. The most elegant designs used a weapon that doubled as a self-righting mechanism, although some bots went straight for raw destructive power and didn't bother with the SRi-Mech, as they called it. Many paid the price after getting flipped, though, and winners were consistently bots that could right themselves as well as fight, for obvious reasons.

Not sure if these two bots will fight the way I think they will, since there are people piloting these things.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/15
This is so fucking awesome. What a time to be alive.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

Challenging Japan to a robot battle is suicide. I believe they are way ahead tech-wise and are practical enough to correct issues before entering battle. It should be fun to watch, though. Even though the Japanese design is probably more sophisticated, the current American bot is considerably larger. Then, again, more moving parts = less reliability and durability.



Never doubt the US ability to make weapons.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/15

megahobbit wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

Challenging Japan to a robot battle is suicide. I believe they are way ahead tech-wise and are practical enough to correct issues before entering battle. It should be fun to watch, though. Even though the Japanese design is probably more sophisticated, the current American bot is considerably larger. Then, again, more moving parts = less reliability and durability.



Never doubt the US ability to make weapons.


True, but these seem to be little independent guys building robots. If the projects were backed by more support, or even government support, I'd be way more indecisive. Maybe I just need to do more research to figure out exactly what each of these guys is working with.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/6/15

Morbidhanson wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

Challenging Japan to a robot battle is suicide. I believe they are way ahead tech-wise and are practical enough to correct issues before entering battle. It should be fun to watch, though. Even though the Japanese design is probably more sophisticated, the current American bot is considerably larger. Then, again, more moving parts = less reliability and durability.



Never doubt the US ability to make weapons.


True, but these seem to be little independent guys building robots. If the projects were backed by more support, or even government support, I'd be way more indecisive. Maybe I just need to do more research to figure out exactly what each of these guys is working with.


Your not a little independent guy if you got the cash to build mechs.
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/6/15


I SAY CRY
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.