First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Cops Making Split Second Decisions
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/2/15 , edited 7/2/15
I think a lot of times, we forget how quickly cops have to make decisions. We automatically assume that decisions were made in incompetence or hate. Often times, there is no time for hate, and decisions are made so quickly that incompetence would be not making a decision at all.

This is a video illustrating how quickly officers must react, for their own safety and the safety of others. It is another tragedy, because the gun in question was a replica pellet gun, but the only person who was able to prevent the tragedy is the deceased. The video contains disturbing gun violence resulting in a fatality. Viewer discretion is advised.
youtube.com/watch?v=kSiqfM2GR4E

Folks, if you have a weapon, or anything that could be mistaken for a weapon, the first thing you need to do when dealing with police is to verbally disclose that information, and then follow their direction on how they would like to handle the situation.

I used to play on a airsoft team in my younger days. I had two airsoft guns, a carbine and a pistol, that both looked completely real.
Once, while traveling from NC to TX, I had them in my passenger seat. I was pulled over in Marshall, TX. While the police officer approached the vehicle, I kept my hands on the wheel. I didn't move a muscle. Just as I suspected, when he shined his light into my car, he stepped back, his hand on his weapon.
I quickly explained, followed instruction, he relaxed and we talked a bit. He made me put the airsoft guns in the trunk, for my safety. He told me, had I reached for them, or appeared to be reaching for them, I'd be dead. I knew that, which is why I kept my hands on the steering wheel.

Long story short, comply with the police, disclose your possession of anything that can be considered a weapon, and you won't die.

I just wanted to share this with people. Opinions are welcomed, but insults are not.
Posted 7/2/15 , edited 7/3/15
Dumb hillbilly. "Let me pull my gun out".

I cheered when they lit him up. Should have emptied their clip into him.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/2/15
Interesting.The officer approaching my car already had her hand on the butt of her Glock but she had a smile on her face.I guess you reach the age......
27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 7/2/15
Was personally glad with the result one less idiot in the world. Simply have common sense when dealing with officers and you be on your way. No harm no foul
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/2/15

pirththee wrote:

Interesting.The officer approaching my car already had her hand on the butt of her Glock but she had a smile on her face.I guess you reach the age......


In my experience, they usually keep their hand there. Probably trained that way.
9236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / I don't know T_T
Offline
Posted 7/2/15 , edited 7/2/15
Why would he pull that out? That's a horrible idea, and I think it's very obvious to a lot of people. Unfortunately, I guess not a lot of people have common sense.
Posted 7/2/15
If that really is a replica gun, then I still feel like that's a tragedy. Yes - it's stupid for him to pull it out, but I still don't feel like it's good enough reason for him to die.

Honest question (because I genuinely don't know) but would not a taser be equally effective in this scenario? If not, then I still say we should be devoting whatever resources we need to in order to develop non-lethal incapacitation techniques. It would do wonders to prevent events like this.

So that's my stance. Using technology to improve our safety should be our primary concern. Until then, I can understand if people want to rely on the firearms of law enforcement for protection - and I won't try to debate those people. However, I personally have reservations about their use. If that greatly offends you, then so be it.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/2/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


pirththee wrote:

Interesting.The officer approaching my car already had her hand on the butt of her Glock but she had a smile on her face.I guess you reach the age......


In my experience, they usually keep their hand there. Probably trained that way.


Yes ,it is part of the training . I worked with a girl that was going through the academy training and that's what she told me too. She's now a county officer.
Posted 7/2/15 , edited 7/2/15
He was an idiot.c
This is a big part of my fear though.
Police pull out the gun instead of like, a tasor.
Also where are his handcuffs???

For this death, I still blame mostly the police.
104075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 7/2/15

seekerperson7 wrote:

If that really is a replica gun, then I still feel like that's a tragedy. Yes - it's stupid for him to pull it out, but I still don't feel like it's good enough reason for him to die.

Honest question (because I genuinely don't know) but would not a taser be equally effective in this scenario? If not, then I still say we should be devoting whatever resources we need to in order to develop non-lethal incapacitation techniques. It would do wonders to prevent events like this.

So that's my stance. Using technology to improve our safety should be our primary concern. Until then, I can understand if people want to rely on the firearms of law enforcement for protection - and I won't try to debate those people. However, I personally have reservations about their use. If that greatly offends you, then so be it.


No when you get tasered your muscle contract. If that is a real life gun and his trigger finger on the trigger, it could have discharged the firearm.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 7/2/15 , edited 7/2/15

pirththee wrote: The officer approaching my car already had her hand on the butt of her Glock but she had a smile on her face.

You can never be sure, so its fully understanable thing to do maybe not in all places but some are more violent areas. (and few moments could save your life)

Sad, and shouldn't the deceast say and try to agree before he pulls it out? (or was it because he is so used to others accepting it no being a real weapon and just thought they would understand?)
and around there is it not a law to have a colored orange or so on the tip of no lethal weapons? (could turn 1s into shooting into a calm down lets see that item)
Posted 7/2/15

AnimeKami wrote:

No when you get tasered your muscle contract. If that is a real life gun and his trigger finger on the trigger, it could have discharged the firearm.


Makes sense. Though I still say we should try to come up with something else.

I will never be able to accept law enforcement's ability to summarily execute individuals. It just doesn't sit well with me - nor will it ever.

Of course, I also believe that it should be far more difficult (if not impossible by legal means) to acquire firearms as well.

However, I'd rather be worried about death by a criminal than execution by the state.
30769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 7/2/15
I know death is a sad thing, and you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but seriously... What an idiot.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 7/2/15 , edited 7/2/15

seekerperson7 wrote: Makes sense. Though I still say we should try to come up with something else.

However, I'd rather be worried about death by a criminal than execution by the state.

From what I see, the male partner could have gotten his hand before he just throws him away but thats about it.
Yes it would be really bad if you should be more worried about the cops then criminals..
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/2/15
Good thing her partner was quick. She was close to getting popped.

Guy sure did a good mag dump.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.