First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Label-Genres
23025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/2/15
Do you like your anime selection to be true to Genre you select or do you mind cross over if good story? I just finished watching Brighter than the Dawning Blue and if I counting genre right it had all these in large amounts.
1.Romance
2.Slice of Life
3.Science Fiction
4. Drama
5.Adventure
personally I like it if helps story
Posted 7/2/15
Interesting idea. How do genres shape the series? It can be limiting if done wrong, thats the caveat.
29868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/2/15
Why not have many genres? Makes the story more interesting, and it happens a lot. Drama and romance go hand-in-hand.
Posted 7/2/15 , edited 7/2/15

ayesharocks wrote:

Why not have many genres? Makes the story more interesting, and it happens a lot. Drama and romance go hand-in-hand.


And if there's not romance, fans will write fanfic for you! How convenient

23025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/2/15

AiYumega wrote:

Interesting idea. How do genres shape the series? It can be limiting if done wrong, thats the caveat.


We in States are kings of either branding something with a label or putting it in category kinda like fox news that way excuse me as I dry heave
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/2/15
Not a purist.At the end of the day it's the art and the story that matter not the classification.
23025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/2/15
Sadly I think people miss out on a lot of shows because of looking specifically by genre and I understand done it myself
8224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37
Offline
Posted 7/2/15 , edited 7/2/15
I don't know if I get your question right... so :

Should anime have only one genre and exclude the others to be good ? answer is no.

Should an anime that brand itself to be part of a genre respect the tropes of said genre to be good ? answer is more nuanced here. If you brand yourself "romantic", you better have a romantic relationship going on and not just a setting with references to artists of the XIXth (even if it would be funny...). People are attracted to some genre because they like the tropes of the genre, but at the same time they like new stuff so you can play with the tropes alright.

And so, is it ok for an anime to borrow to several genres if the story is good and entertaining ? yes, good anime rocks.
8224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37
Offline
Posted 7/2/15 , edited 7/2/15

scoobydew wrote:

Sadly I think people miss out on a lot of shows because of looking specifically by genre and I understand, done it myself


People are diverse, they like plenty of different stuff. Some girls like mostly magical girls anime and some boys like mostly action and power-of-friendship anime, and so both can like cross over like Sailor Moon or Cutey Honey. But you should be cautious with cross over like letting your 7 year old wide-eyed little girl watch Madoka Magica because it's labelled as "magical girl" and you expect it to be like Card Captor Sakura, and then you realize it's also labelled "horror" and for some good reasons...

As for getting out of your comfort zone and watch different kind of animes, that's why communities of fan are good, you have plenty of people watching stuff and giving advice for what to check
23025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/2/15

Shadmad wrote:


scoobydew wrote:

Sadly I think people miss out on a lot of shows because of looking specifically by genre and I understand, done it myself


People are diverse, they like plenty of different stuff. Some girls like mostly magical girls anime and some boys like mostly action and power-of-friendship anime, and so both can like cross over like Sailor Moon or Cutey Honey. But you should be cautious with cross over like letting your 7 year old wide-eyed little girl watch Madoka Magica because it's labelled as "magical girl" and you expect it to be like Card Captor Sakura, and then you realize it's also labelled "horror" and for some good reasons...

As for getting out of your comfort zone and watch different kind of animes, that's why communities of fan are good, you have plenty of people watching stuff and giving advice for what to check


I totally get your point about people being diverse and also to use caution I was always wondering what genre school days falls under because to untrained eye it looks harmless
Posted 7/2/15
Its useful to know what genre a title is in, but it doesn't affect whether I might enjoy it. Think of it as the way books are classified, its useful as a guide, nothing more, and helps if I find myself in the mood for something like romance, or horror, etc, and don't know what I'm looking for.
Posted 7/3/15
To stay true to the genre. Like a sci-fi shouldn't become a drama or romance in the middle. It messes the flow of the story.
Posted 7/3/15
Eh. Genre is nice to find things that are similar or to label things in groups, but the show needn't be defined by it's "genre" either.
75434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/3/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

To stay true to the genre. Like a sci-fi shouldn't become a drama or romance in the middle. It messes the flow of the story.


To me Sci Fi is more of a setting than a genre. very rarely does the advancement of knowledge and human achievement be the sole focus of an anime plot. Usually there is some form of action or drama to propel the story. Usually. (I'm sure you can find exceptions)

23025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/3/15

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

To stay true to the genre. Like a sci-fi shouldn't become a drama or romance in the middle. It messes the flow of the story.


To me Sci Fi is more of a setting than a genre. very rarely does the advancement of knowledge and human achievement be the sole focus of an anime plot. Usually there is some form of action or drama to propel the story. Usually. (I'm sure you can find exceptions)



I agree always puzzled by sci-fi genres so you have a setting then you need drama for story? I guess we humans are simple minded thus we name a channel here on TV called SCI-FI channel
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.