First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Thoughts on Picky Eaters.
10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/4/15

Taqqui wrote:
Bahaha, our NCOIC, also a female, chewed her shit out for that. :v

Also, her not having a choice is no reason to complain. We're in the National Guard, it's not like we have to sacrifice ourselves that much. Which is why I say she has no grounds to complain about food when it was just a 4-day thing. >.>

Ugh, I don't even want to imagine what she'd be like in a deployment.


Honestly...as far as the food is concerned, I do have to say the Navy may possibly have it the worst on deployment. I spent 6 months on ship. Sure, the food can be pretty good at times, but other times, it's terrible. I mean so bad I opted for an MRE instead of eating on the mess deck. Not to mention, when it's been a while since you've restocked everything, things aren't so fresh... things get a bit icky... especially the potatoes, in my experience.
Of course, I was on a tiny, run-down ship that was decommissioned right after its return, an LPD-12 called the USS Shreveport. I heard conditions were better on the carrier and bigger/newer ships.
9236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / I don't know T_T
Offline
Posted 7/4/15
I say the worst picky eaters are those who don't eat their vegetables.
Posted 7/4/15

QTAC wrote:

I say the worst picky eaters are those who don't eat their vegetables.


Chance to use these gifs -grin-

10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/4/15

scoobydew wrote:

Picky eaters
Peanut Allergies
No yeast tolerance
Free range
All relatively new terms say last ten years or since internet was born with great knowledge comes great responsiblities


On a scientific note, a reason for that may actually be poor guidance from doctors trying to play it safe.

My wife is pregnant and her OB-GYN (or whatever the hell it is called) always has this pregnancy, child-rearing, motherhood, health crap on the TV.

Was watching something on there the other day about introducing allergens at an early age... apparently, the stance has been to avoid allergens during pregnancy and early childhood for years, but recent studies show that children who are introduced with them in earlier childhood have a much lower chance of developing allergies.

So... that's probably one reason some allergies have popped up in relatively recent history.
Posted 7/4/15
We can't help it
22902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/4/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


scoobydew wrote:

Picky eaters
Peanut Allergies
No yeast tolerance
Free range
All relatively new terms say last ten years or since internet was born with great knowledge comes great responsiblities


On a scientific note, a reason for that may actually be poor guidance from doctors trying to play it safe.

My wife is pregnant and her OB-GYN (or whatever the hell it is called) always has this pregnancy, child-rearing, motherhood, health crap on the TV.

Was watching something on there the other day about introducing allergens at an early age... apparently, the stance has been to avoid allergens during pregnancy and early childhood for years, but recent studies show that children who are introduced with them in earlier childhood have a much lower chance of developing allergies.

So... that's probably one reason some allergies have popped up in relatively recent history.


Kinda amazing because I have 11 year old son and his school district is Zero peanuts. Sooo I wonder when I was kid did this children just drop dead or what happen back in older days
10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/4/15

scoobydew wrote:
Sooo I wonder when I was kid did this children just drop dead or what happen back in older days


And here we have another reason... I just wasn't going to say it. hehe
2551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / space
Offline
Posted 7/4/15
ey theres nothing wrong with picky eaters! It just makes the average person more special!
15796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/4/15
I work in the kitchen at a restaurant/cafe myself and I definitely see a lot of picky eaters there. Idk, it doesn't bother me a whole lot when people add specific things to their orders like 'add this' or 'leave off that' i mean you're paying for your food, you should be allowed to eat it how you like. But i mean there are some people who are just over the top picky and i'm required to go out of my way to do something extra special while making their order. It doesn't happen a whole lot but still it bothers me just a bit, like, instead of asking me to cut all the crust off of your bread, how about i give you a butter knife and you do it yourself. I mean if I wasn't expected to have your food ready for you within 2 minutes of you ordering it maybe i'd have less to gripe about. It was especially bad when i worked at a pizza joint, i would usually go back and make peoples pizzas myself to be sure that they were absolutely correct only for them to tell me 'its too crispy' and then stare at me like it's my fault that their whole day is ruined.

Ugh, but for the most part i don't mind picky eaters too much. I understand the mindset that they have and its a hard one to shake. I mean i used to refuse eating a lot of things when i was younger but i guess one day i just stopped? I usually don't make any special requests at restaurants when i order food. My thinking is that there is a reason that something is served the way it is, with all of its ingredients, and thats because they compliment one another and in all honesty, its what makes the dish taste best. Sure you don't like tomatoes on your sandwiches or salads, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll dislike the way they taste with your pasta dish? Don't be afraid to try new things when it comes to food, after all, there has to be a reason why everyone else eats it, right?
8235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 7/4/15
I've always felt that you should at least try something before you say you actually dislike it. After you've tried it, then be free to not eat whatever you don't want to eat. Thing is, especially if you know that your preference is not the common one, you should just suck it up and don't expect everyone else to bow to your tastes. If you really don't like what is being served that much then don't eat it. You don't need to make a big deal out of it.
20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 7/4/15
We grew up poor. It was always a strict policy to not waste food. Clean your plate or no desert. If you said you didn't like something, or were too full, my mom always said, "There's starving kids in Ethiopia who would kill for that food!" So yeah, I was raised to not be picky.
Generally speaking, picky eaters annoy me. If you have allergies or religious restrictions, then fine. But when people do stuff like picking off the bits they don't like on a supreme pizza... that really annoys me.
But I will confess, as I got older and could buy my own food, I do avoid certain foods on the basis of how revolting they are. I mean, I don't consider myself picky, but I won't go anywhere near a McRib. I'd rather eat a bag of discarded potato peels.
4490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 7/4/15 , edited 7/4/15
There's two issues here. One of taste and preference and another of health problems with allergies and food intolerances. There's also diabetics that need to be very careful to keep their blood sugar level in check. Those that are picky due to preference will eat the offending food if they face starvation. Those with health problems may try to eat the harmful food but risk a quick death or illness and discomfort or rash breaking out.

It's been said that allergy problems are on the rise. I myself have discovered that I have a mild allergy to fresh pineapple and fresh kiwi. I can only eat them in very small portions or cooked since that seems to neutralise the natural chemical in the fruit that I'm allergic to. I get a burning tingling on my lips and tongue and sometimes a rash on my lips. I'm fortunate that this does not risk my life. My nephew is deathly allergic to nuts. He has to walk around with an epi-pen just in case. His older brother already suffered anaphylactic shock when he was 10 and we still don't know what caused it. His big sister also had to have an epi-pen when she was younger due to a reaction from eating peanut butter. She was lucky to actually grow out of this since some allergies get milder or disappear as one matures. I minimise my contact with lots of food colouring because the docs have said it could contribute to my eczema, asthma and hayfever. One doc gave out family a list and said to generally avoid everything on the list just in case they cause a problem. It went something like this.
Wheat
milk
food colourings
fish
apples
banana
avocado
nuts & seeds
eggs
soya
some herbs and spices

I could avoid some and still have a balanced diet but it would be extremely difficult avoiding all of them and still eat well. Another doc sensibly said avoid some but not everything just be sensible and minimise exposure because avoiding everything may make me more sensitive and make allergies worse in the long run.

I realised that if I ate a diet more like they ate long ago in the Caribbean I wouldn't have been in contact with most of the the usual culprits. I can still enjoy dishes that are egg free, dairy free, wheat and gluten free if need be and still have cakes, pies, porridge, pasties and enough carbs for energy.

Food intolerances mean that your body can't absorb nutrients from certain foods and may cause tummy upsets and bowel irritability. In one case having wheat when intolerant to it and doing strenuous exercise afterwards may risk death. There's even a rare disease that means a body can't absorb protein as it should so a person with this is on a special low protein diet with only one special protein supplement made that their body can manage. Reaction to having the danger food isn't immediate. It's slowly builds up. In this case it slowly destroys the brain leading to a dementia like state.

There's also those who fear they're allergic to stuff without evidence to prove it. Docs may advise them to avoid the offending food just in case. Others are hooked on food fads.
10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/4/15 , edited 7/4/15

cleruninja wrote:
We grew up poor. It was always a strict policy to not waste food. Clean your plate or no desert.


No, my friend.... you did not grow up poor. Poor is when desert is the furthest thing from your mind, and the real question is "what can I eat?"

Not that I lived much of my life poor.... only small portions a few times... though currently, I am technically living below the poverty level and have been for over two years. I'm just lucky because I live in a low cost of living area and I have very few bills....

Bah, back on point. No, my friend, that is not poor.
Posted 7/4/15
Fucking starve if you dont eat whats put in front of you barring allergies.
8916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 7/4/15
i'd eat anything...

as long as it doesnt contain onions.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.