First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply A little study on sexism in CR shows
32280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/6/15

bernardwheelerjr wrote:

Logic and the law dictates the converse is also true. By your logic if females commuting domestic violenence is OK then males commiting domestic violence is also OK ;-)


I not sure about this.




3095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Roanpur, Thailand
Offline
Posted 7/6/15
I'm concerned about the lack of Two-Spirit A-sexual Transexuals in my anime.
I think these studios need to check their heteronormal moe privillege.
8224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37
Offline
Posted 7/6/15

PrinceJudar wrote:



You'll end up having more on the male side purely on the fact there are more male protagonist anime out there. There's no good way to define sexism as a whole in anime generally.

Let's say we have 20 apples on the left and 10 apples on the right. If 1/5 apples are bad, I'll have 4 bad apples on the left but only 2 on the right. You'll be more likely to find bad apples from the male side simply because they have a larger pile. Is it bad they have a larger pile? No, because that's what being dictated by demographics. Demographics do not necessarily paint a 'sexist' trend, just different markets and suppliers.

So how do you define bad apples? How do you define an anime as sexist? What classifies a bad apple? There's just no way to say without defining what constitutes a show as sexist and unfortunately, that's controversial.

Imo, there's no way to good way to do this without defining how anime classifies as sexist (for either gender) and if we get into that we might as get back to the age old debate.



Your point is very interesting. So I'll go farther : I think that the unbalance between male and female protagonists is indeed relevant, as it's shown on CR for example and more largely during anime conventions that the audience is essentially half female. And so that if there is more shows with "Men rule" than "Women rule", it's traducing a sexist trend. If half the audience is female and they're disregarded and bombarded with more overpowered male protagonists than strong dependable female leads, there is indeed a trend and we could see how big with quantity count.

Maybe you could try the exercise when you have some time ? If you come up with better conditions for the categories, I'll happily include them
17077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Verginia
Offline
Posted 7/6/15
To treat a woman in any way different than a male is by definition sexist. So aneme where women commit domestic violence against males is sexist. So I guess cr is sexist as it is rampant with women physically abuseing males:-) see where this argument gets you? In America those girls would be charged with domestic abuse and depending on the degree of his injuries she could be a fellon
28205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/6/15

Shadmad wrote:

Hi folks,

Since some time I'm here I've seen that sexism in anime is producing lots of threads with passionate debates. And most of the time participants just stay on their positions.

So I was thinking we could make a quantitative study on the shows here on Crunchyroll, like that :

Category A : "Men rule, bitch!"
- The protagonist of the show is a male
- The male protagonist is helping female characters who depend on him
- The male protagonist is never sexually harassed


Category B: "Women rule, dork!"
- The protagonist of the show is a female
- The female protagonist is helping male characters who depend on her
- The female protagonist is never sexually harassed


To enter in a category, all conditions need to be met. As I haven't seen all shows on CR, I'll need your help to complete the categories. Further if you want to discuss the categories conditions, I'm open to it.

What I try to do here is to measure an eventual "sexist trend" in the anime shows, so I've kept the conditions quite simple and we should have as many shows in each category.

EDIT : I'll try to keep track of the totals here

Category A: "Men rule, bitch!"
1. Aldnoah Zero
2. BTOOOM!
3. Guin Saga
4. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
5. Log Horizon
6. Mushi-shi
7. MY Love Story!!
8. Parasyte
9. Saint Seya
10. Sword Art Online
11. The Irregular at Magic High School
12. Usagi Drop


Category B: "Women rule, dork!"
1. Occult Academy
2. RWBY
3. Shirobako
4. The World is Still Beautifull
5. Akame Ga Kill
6. Sailor Moon Crystal
7. World Conquest Zvezda Plot



4. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? I don't think this one should be on here being that the strongest person in the show is actually a girl... I mean he is trying to catch up to her the whole show constantly having to be saved by her... come on this one needs to be taken down.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/6/15


They tried to murder gaming so anime is next i guess.

Well, Prison School is hardly sexist ; anyone who has read it should know that by now. All the female characters are the ones in control (destroying the filthy patriarchy obviously) the filthy men are the ones who being controlled and put in their place (under the heels of women and in prison for being men, literally that's part of the reason they are in prison).

All the female characters have well written backstories and unique personalities and the men are displayed as pretty stupid when it comes to dealing with women; such as the ceremony for a kiss which requires one to cut a plastic bottle in half, take ones pants off, then put ones penis into thine bottle and move forward towards the woman.

There is also an equal amount of fanservice considering the amount of times you see the male mc's rip of their shirts and flex their butt muscles.
2551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / space
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/6/15

kimchino wrote:

why is this a thread, just watch anime


same
3095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Roanpur, Thailand
Offline
Posted 7/6/15

AzazelOfNexium wrote:



They tried to murder gaming so anime is next i guess.

Well, Prison School is hardly sexist ; anyone who has read it should know that by now. All the female characters are the ones in control (destroying the filthy patriarchy obviously) the filthy men are the ones who being controlled and put in their place (under the heels of women).

All the female characters have well written backstories and unique personalities and the men are displayed as pretty stupid when it comes to dealing with women; such as the ceremony for a kiss which requires one to cut a plastic bottle in half, take ones pants off, then put ones penis into thine bottle and move forward towards the woman.


I wouldn't make Prison School the one to defend if there is ever a legitimate argument. It's basically BDSM Mistresses: The Anime.
The only reason SJW's haven't come after anime yet is because they would be called 'Racist' for trying to impose their Western idealogues onto a Japanese medium. Which technically they would be.
8224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37
Offline
Posted 7/6/15

bernardwheelerjr wrote:

Logic and the law dictates the converse is also true. By your logic if females commuting domestic violenence is OK then males commiting domestic violence is also OK ;-)
Otherwise you are being sexist by imposing a double standard. And not treating women equally with men. SPIKED it


Do you propose to include a condition like : "Females are beaten by male / Males are beaten by females" ?

I don't think it would work, as in fighting anime for one. Plus I see what you mean, with lots of male characters being punished by females for trying to sexually harass them. It's a widespread trope indeed in anime, but I don't think it's the same as real life domestic violence (which is rarely depicted in anime).
3095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Roanpur, Thailand
Offline
Posted 7/6/15

orange-chan wrote:


kimchino wrote:

why is this a thread, just watch anime


same


If they had a 'Like' Button I'd be liking this post.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/6/15

AzazelOfNexium wrote:



They tried to murder gaming so anime is next i guess.

Well, Prison School is hardly sexist ; anyone who has read it should know that by now. All the female characters are the ones in control (destroying the filthy patriarchy obviously) the filthy men are the ones who being controlled and put in their place (under the heels of women and in prison for being men, literally that's part of the reason they are in prison).

All the female characters have well written backstories and unique personalities and the men are displayed as pretty stupid when it comes to dealing with women; such as the ceremony for a kiss which requires one to cut a plastic bottle in half, take ones pants off, then put ones penis into thine bottle and move forward towards the woman.


....Wow that's a show where no one's demeaned. Not sexist at all.

Edit: Oh God shoulda mentioned it was a fetish anime. It's BDSM porn dear lord. Porn shouldn't count.
2551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / space
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/6/15

ExtraMana wrote:


orange-chan wrote:


kimchino wrote:

why is this a thread, just watch anime


same


If they had a 'Like' Button I'd be liking this post.


they do, its that small thumbs up in the corner
17077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Verginia
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/7/15
50 shades of grey. Nuff said lmao.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 7/6/15 , edited 7/6/15


Well the men are demeaned, but thats not sexist. Reverse sexism doesn't exist remember? thats why its only a bad thing when women are the ones being affected (I can see you didn't smell the massive amount of sarcasm permeating from my original post, maybe you can smell it now)
32280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Offline
Posted 7/6/15

bernardwheelerjr wrote:

To treat a woman in any way different than a male is by definition sexist. So aneme where women commit domestic violence against males is sexist. So I guess cr is sexist as it is rampant with women physically abuseing males:-) see where this argument gets you? In America those girls would be charged with domestic abuse and depending on the degree of his injuries she could be a fellon


That would be the case, I suppose.



First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.