First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Sexism in Gaming Communities & Industries
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/8/15

VZ68 wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


Buckerss wrote:

An issue sometimes? Sure. A huge problem? Not really. I hope no one goes full on Anita Sarkeesian in this thread.


Its a pretty huge problem. No one should have to face the shit that they throw towards these women.


I watched a co-worker burn alive.

Let's put shit in perspective here.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/14/15

megahobbit wrote:

Its a pretty huge problem. No one should have to face the shit that they throw towards these women.


You say that as if harassment is just a female problem. Sure some women get harassed in some immature communities because they're female, but that's just one reason. I've been harassed to the point where I've had to quit games because I've "stolen" a kill or am just having a bad game. Heck I've been harassed by women for that kind of shit before.

This should be less about gender and more about harassment in general, because that is the main issue here.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/15

Buckerss wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

Its a pretty huge problem. No one should have to face the shit that they throw towards these women.


You say that as if harassment is just a female problem. Sure some women get harassed in some immature communities because they're female, but that's just one reason. I've been harassed to the point where I've had to quit games because I've "stolen" a kill or am just having a bad game. Heck I've been harassed by women for that kind of shit before.

This should be less about gender and more about harassment in general, because that is the main issue here.


While I dont doubt youve been harassed I do think there is a huge difference in the level of harrassment women who spoke out against sexism in games received and men who spoke out received.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/14/15

megahobbit wrote:

While I dont doubt youve been harassed I do think there is a huge difference in the level of harrassment women who spoke out against sexism in games received and men who spoke out received.


A lot of the women who have spoken out about sexism in games seem to go over the top with it. Getting pissy because a character has breasts or there's a woman that needs saving, while ignoring everything else that's not sexist about a game, or using arguments that you could easily turn around and apply to men. It might just be that people like Anita Sarkeesian drown out all of the reasonable women who talk about the subject though. People like her have really fucked up feminisms reputation.
22138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / MI
Offline
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/14/15
lmao @ boys saying it's not an issue. that's because you don't have to deal with it personally
33355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/7/15
I just play games and watch anime, keeping politics out of it. You see, you can talk all you want about politics, full of hot air. But in the end of the day you know who makes the decision. Consumers, the money.

And from what I see, they are catering to their consumer, they're listening to they're buyers, not politics.

As for the community, the mmo community I think respect female gamers and nerds (I haven't seen them diss em because they're women, actually I play as a woman sometimes and nothing), specially if they are good at the game.

I don't harass, I don't question their gamer/nerd credentials, I don't bully, make fun of, or make sexist remarks. So there's one down for ya. But I hold no respect for Anita Sarkeesian.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/14/15

megahobbit wrote:

While I dont doubt youve been harassed I do think there is a huge difference in the level of harrassment women who spoke out against sexism in games received and men who spoke out received.


This narrative is bias as all hell. If you think that only one side was flinging shit (including death threats and doxxing) then you are dead wrong. And when WAM (Women, Action and the Media) looked into harassment surrounding Gamergate, they found that only 65 of the almost 10,000 twitter accounts on the GGautoblocker were involved in GG related harassment. For a hashtag movement, that is pretty damn low.

This whole "Gamers are horrible, misogynistic and abusive people" narrative has an enormous amount of spin and cherry picking in it and I do not take kindly to these blatant lies being propagated, even out of ignorance.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/14/15

Yoscake wrote:

lmao @ boys saying it's not an issue. that's because you don't have to deal with it personally


A lot of the petty stuff I've seen some people complain about are things that nearly everyone has to deal with. You know, the unrealistic standards for attractiveness and all that rubbish. The only thing I can see being an actual issue is harassment because of gender. But that's something that will likely fade away to lower levels as games are seen as a more gender neutral kind of thing, which they are already well on their way to becoming.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/7/15

Buckerss wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

While I dont doubt youve been harassed I do think there is a huge difference in the level of harrassment women who spoke out against sexism in games received and men who spoke out received.


A lot of the women who have spoken out about sexism in games seem to go over the top with it. Getting pissy because a character has breasts or there's a woman that needs saving, while ignoring everything else that's not sexist about a game, or using arguments that you could easily turn around and apply to men. It might just be that people like Anita Sarkeesian drown out all of the reasonable women who talk about the subject though. People like her have really fucked up feminisms reputation.


I fail to see how them holding a different opinion than you means they deserve harrassment.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/14/15

megahobbit wrote:


Buckerss wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

While I dont doubt youve been harassed I do think there is a huge difference in the level of harrassment women who spoke out against sexism in games received and men who spoke out received.


A lot of the women who have spoken out about sexism in games seem to go over the top with it. Getting pissy because a character has breasts or there's a woman that needs saving, while ignoring everything else that's not sexist about a game, or using arguments that you could easily turn around and apply to men. It might just be that people like Anita Sarkeesian drown out all of the reasonable women who talk about the subject though. People like her have really fucked up feminisms reputation.


I fail to see how them holding a different opinion than you means they deserve harrassment.


I'm not really saying anyone deserves harassment. I'm explaining why there is harassment from some people. People who say stupid things on the internet are always going to be prone to it.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/8/15

Buckerss wrote:

I'm not really saying anyone deserves harassment. I'm explaining why there is harassment from some people. People who say stupid things on the internet are always going to be prone to it.


Doesnt mean its right. Its still unacceptable they received that much harassment.

And frankly I dont see Sarkeesians arguments as that extreme. I dont agree with alot of them but people seem to think she comes off much harsher than she actually does.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 7/7/15

megahobbit wrote:

If last year hasn't shown that gaming and nerd culture has an undeniable problem in with sexism you must be living under a rock.


Pretty much me. What has happened in the past year?
Posted 7/7/15 , edited 7/7/15

Buckerss wrote:


Yoscake wrote:

lmao @ boys saying it's not an issue. that's because you don't have to deal with it personally


A lot of the petty stuff I've seen some people complain about are things that nearly everyone has to deal with. You know, the unrealistic standards for attractiveness and all that rubbish. The only thing I can see being an actual issue is harassment because of gender. But that's something that will likely fade away to lower levels as games are seen as a more gender neutral kind of thing, which they are already well on their way to becoming.

Yeah and its stupid af & why is qualifies as sexist harassment.

Sooo you've had gamers tell you to go make them a sandwich? Or call you an attention whore? Go to the kitchen? Maybe even give you death or rape threats for basically no reason?

Attractiveness is never an actual issue especially when most of us play behind an avatar/character.
If guys hear a female playing, they'll make sexist jokes and maybe eventually turn into harassment.
This happens to me sometimes too in mmos, which is why I try to have a group of friends to play with.
And a lot of us end up doing that if we don't drop the game out entirely.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.