First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Favourite Final Fantasy Game ?
7335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 7/8/15
What do you think is the best Final Fantasy game and why?
discuss below.

Posted 7/8/15
Dissidia.
Loved the flashy combat system.
8254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 7/8/15
Which is the best? Final Fantasy 6 hands down. It has the best characters. most solid gameplay. a solid story that doesn't devolve into pretentious babble, some of the best music, etc.

Which is my favourite? It's a toss up between FF6 and FF4. FF6 is objectively the better game, but I have more nostalgic personal ties to FF4 so it really depends on the day, time and phase of the moon as to which I prefer.
5813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/8/15
I had the most fun playing the 1st half of FF6 but admittedly I just didn't enjoy the World of Ruin. Therefore I gotta pick FF7. The game was just unlike anything I have ever played before and it was the strongest FF game from start to finish IMO.
15746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 7/8/15
Final Fantasy 6.... Then, now, forever

Best overall story. Best cast of likable characters (not all, just the most). Best musical score. Best Villain. Most insane battles. I mean come on, you get to bodyslam a damned ghost train for crying out loud. Best mixture of fantasy and steampunk. There's too much steampunk and sci-fi in newer FF games. I could go on and on, but that's pretty much it.



I love FF Tactics as well, but sadly it's length only really exists because of grinding. Great story though.
3488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Chapel Hill, N.C
Offline
Posted 7/8/15

Yamstarch wrote:

Final Fantasy 6.... Then, now, forever

Best overall story. Best cast of likable characters (not all, just the most). Best musical score. Best Villain. Most insane battles. I mean come on, you get to bodyslam a damned ghost train for crying out loud. Best mixture of fantasy and steampunk. There's too much steampunk and sci-fi in newer FF games. I could go on and on, but that's pretty much it.



I love FF Tactics as well, but sadly it's length only really exists because of grinding. Great story though.



Oh yes, "FFVI" all the way. As much as I love this series, this was the one that defines FF. It was also the first FF game I ever played, and it what got me into JRPG's. This game happens to feature not one but two great female characters, Terra and Celes, with the former being my favorite magic user of all time (no offense to Aerith and Yuna fans). Kefka was an amazing villain, even better than Sephiroth, and he can be really scary. Not to mention the elaborate story and the music (how can I forget Celes' theme, so beautiful). And what's not to like about a castle that can vanish under the sands?
15746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 7/8/15

rabbitofcaerbannog wrote:


Yamstarch wrote:

Final Fantasy 6.... Then, now, forever

Best overall story. Best cast of likable characters (not all, just the most). Best musical score. Best Villain. Most insane battles. I mean come on, you get to bodyslam a damned ghost train for crying out loud. Best mixture of fantasy and steampunk. There's too much steampunk and sci-fi in newer FF games. I could go on and on, but that's pretty much it.



I love FF Tactics as well, but sadly it's length only really exists because of grinding. Great story though.



Oh yes, "FFVI" all the way. As much as I love this series, this was the one that defines FF. It was also the first FF game I ever played, and it what got me into JRPG's. This game happens to feature not one but two great female characters, Terra and Celes, with the former being my favorite magic user of all time (no offense to Aerith and Yuna fans). Kefka was an amazing villain, even better than Sephiroth, and he can be really scary. Not to mention the elaborate story and the music (how can I forget Celes' theme, so beautiful). And what's not to like about a castle that can vanish under the sands?


Yes! I am a Celes guy myself. And the fact that if you took the time, you could make any of the characters have just about any ability/magic you wanted, mixed with their own signature abilities to boot.

Kefka is basically the Joker of the FF Universe. Only Kefka actually almost succeded. I mean he basically did destroy the world and become a God. not too bad for a jester.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/15 , edited 7/9/15
I'm a Dragon Warrior/Quest guy myself. But I did love me some Final Fantasy 9 back in the day.

The dialogue was actually pretty witty and the plot made sense- which is always nice for a JRPG. I also appreciated the simple and static way that classes were designed (I'm not a big fan of job changing and stuff like FF7 Materia). And using gear to learn new abilities was also pretty simple but effective.

And graphically since it was the last PSX title, obviously it's kind of crappy but it still holds up well enough to at least not be hard to look at. Nothing like the polygonal 7 and 8 graphics that just look like total garbage now.

A lot of hardcore JRPG fans love 4 and 6 more, and I can understand that to a degree. I actually like the NES/SNES aesthetics more for turn/menu based games like these. But in both of those games I remember reaching parts where some new job/class options opened up and I would have had to do an immense amount of grinding to get my characters to where I wanted them. And it just kind of turned me off.
20786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/15 , edited 7/9/15
Final Fantasy 9 is to me the most complete Final Fantasy game that has ever been made.

-It's gorgeous

-has an impressive range of archtypes in characters

-the classic micro-management system at its absolute best being simple without sacrificing too much complexity and strategy.

-Absolutely fantastic story writing raising some mind-boggling questions about what it means to exist and other philosophical greats wrapped in classic fantasy combined with the classic Final Fantasy Hodgepodge of mythology from all over the world. Oh and I definitely don't wanna forget mentioning how well they pulled off the steampunk in this one. Usually it borders to obnoxious, but it was done just right for this game.

-Good love story

-Great villain, Kuja, although I'll never forget how I thought it was a chick at first haha.

-Arguably the most memorable cast of side-characters since Final Fantasy 7

-Challenging boss battles

but most importantly, it still holds up today in all of the categories I've already mentioned.
lucjan 
6057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/9/15 , edited 7/9/15
I've played FF IV, FF VI, FF VII, FF VIII, and FF IX to completion. Final Fantasy IX is the only Final Fantasy game I've played that didn't suffer at any point during my run. It displayed an amazing propensity to combine both the new and the old. By far my favorite Final Fantasy and one of my favorite games.

I've played other Final Fantasy games but not to completion. I gave FF 1 a try and... *ahem*. It sucked. I also gave FF X and XIII a chance... wtf Square Enix. X's voice acting was so bad that I gave up just because of it. XIII was just bad.
9118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 7/9/15
It took me a while to think about it, but personally for me it comes down to Final Fantasy 4 because I enjoyed the story and the music that went with the game, but I can't deny that I loved playing Final Fantasy 3 just a bit more, especially once you get to the crystal tower.
Posted 7/10/15
What I liked about 6 was how there is almost no constant main character w/o hurting the story,, and the versatility of customization lets you decide who you your main choices are. While terra was arguably the protagonist, she didn't ever hog the spotlight like other FF protagonists often do. FF 4 was memorable but in a more linear sense, FF6 more non-linear, with how it branches out early on and then later with multiple party formations. And there is no substitute for Kefka
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/10/15
FFX was my personal favorite. I really enjoyed the plot in that one. There was also a lot you could do in the post game. Summoning is just bad ass.
bsem 
38437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / US
Offline
Posted 7/10/15
Final Fantasy IV, because it was my entry into the series back when the GBA version came out around 10 years ago.
10560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/10/15

Bearbudah wrote:

Final Fantasy 9 is to me the most complete Final Fantasy game that has ever been made.

-It's gorgeous

-has an impressive range of archtypes in characters

-the classic micro-management system at its absolute best being simple without sacrificing too much complexity and strategy.

-Absolutely fantastic story writing raising some mind-boggling questions about what it means to exist and other philosophical greats wrapped in classic fantasy combined with the classic Final Fantasy Hodgepodge of mythology from all over the world. Oh and I definitely don't wanna forget mentioning how well they pulled off the steampunk in this one. Usually it borders to obnoxious, but it was done just right for this game.

-Good love story

-Great villain, Kuja, although I'll never forget how I thought it was a chick at first haha.

-Arguably the most memorable cast of side-characters since Final Fantasy 7

-Challenging boss battles

but most importantly, it still holds up today in all of the categories I've already mentioned.


Amen to that. IX is my favourite as well. I adored all the characters and was sucked into the world. plus each character had their own demons to deal with and they all matured by the end of game. It was just so memorable.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.