Post Reply mature content
25028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/15
hey guys just wondering if anyw1 here feels the same. fair enough i understand that that the cut content is what is aired and is cheaper to use. however i am paying for premium as is most of the ppl who use this site so i think spending a little extra bang for your book wouldnt hurt.

im not so much after all tits and ass, but it is frustrating when half the screen is taken up by white or pics. am i alone in this? does any1 else feel the same? i dont wanna sound like an ass but i feel it should be mentioned.
what do you guys think?

31462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/15
Often, it is contractual obligations that prevents streaming sites from showing the uncensored shows. In Japan a cable channel called ATX has exclusive rights to the uncensored episodes for a set period of time. After that, sometimes the uncensored versions are made available to the foreign streaming sites.
Dragon
58348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 7/9/15

awesome199 wrote:

hey guys just wondering if anyw1 here feels the same. fair enough i understand that that the cut content is what is aired and is cheaper to use. however i am paying for premium as is most of the ppl who use this site so i think spending a little extra bang for your book wouldnt hurt.

im not so much after all tits and ass, but it is frustrating when half the screen is taken up by white or pics. am i alone in this? does any1 else feel the same? i dont wanna sound like an ass but i feel it should be mentioned.
what do you guys think?



Ah, this is a very common topic. /forumtopic-837443/why-is-newer-anime-censored for example, but also the censorship portion of /forumtopic-806747/quick-answers-for-common-questions.

Basically, CR doesn't get to pick and choose for the most part - it's what the publisher offers for sale, and CR (or Funi, or etc) get to bid on showing it or not. The publisher decides if they might offer the uncensored versions, or save those to aim for premium channel money in Japan and DVD/BD sales around the world.

I agree with you, the censorship is often quite annoying, with the huge light or dark beams or whatever.. but on the plus side, lately CR has been getting more uncensored shows as an option, like TERRAFORMARS and My Wife is the Student Council President.
28500 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/15
Does this have something to do with Shimoneta and My Wife is the Student Council President?
In any case, my thoughts are thus:
If up to 25% of a screen is going to get blocked for censorship purposes for any length of time, doesn't matter how long, just don't bother with censoring, unless it's part of a punch line of a joke or something. Besides, everyone knows what the "light" is blocking, so there is no point in censoring something that everyone already knows how it looks. Plus, tits and ass aren't the only thing censored. Sometimes blood is censored.
However, it also depends on the target audience. If it were on something like Cartoon Network or something, then censoring is required. After all, little kids might see it too.

Speaking of Cartoon Network, there was one show that was more violent than anything else I have watched. More violent than Attack on Titan, Future Diary, Guilty Crown, even the James Bond films: Tom and Jerry. NONE of that was censored, and yet when SAO was aired on Toonami, there was censoring. This begs the question: is it worth spending tons of money to censor something? If you grew up watching Looney Toons or Tom and Jerry and other shows like them, then the answer is probably "no".

One other thing: The original Dragon Ball series was HEAVILY censored. You can watch the original Japanese airing on Hulu and you'll find it very different than what was on Toonami. And I'm not just talking about translations.
27764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Reno, NV
Offline
Posted 7/9/15
Adding to what others have said, there are also shows that the production committee will not license out for broadcast uncensored, even on premium cable networks like AT-X, since it cuts into the Blu-Ray sales. That was the case with Triage X last season, for instance. In those cases, it isn't like CR is holding back; the option doesn't even exist.

Beyond that, sometimes the more ecchi content isn't even actually finished at the point of the broadcast, and gets added in after the fact, either through new content or re-draws. In those cases, there may not be quite what you expect underneath those black censorship bars.
22934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/9/15
I notice some censorship on Monster Museme but was done on a smaller scale nipple blockage seem less disruptive although I don't care for any censorship after they showed what they can do with My wife is student body pres
Posted 7/9/15
Boobs and blood is very mature.
61520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/9/15
watched an interesting youtube opinion piece on the "boobs vs blood" thing in the gaming industry earlier, same logic applies to anime.

#BoobsNotBlood
25028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/15
hey, thanks guys for all the replies.

i know they have to be censored for the reasons u mentioned and i understand that for the most part the only copy bar buying a dvd is getting the censored version.
the point i wanted 2 make was that at least 98% of whats here is censored and should try not to have those things there for ppl paying. like they have a setting show mature content or hide i think this is a great option i really do. but even if u click mature its not, its still censored.

i know i sound like a right ole winge haha and most of the time i dont let it bother me if it has a god story,funny,exciting,etc. but just recently its taking up the whole screen. sorry for winging guys.
3488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Chapel Hill, N.C
Offline
Posted 7/10/15

imaginarycreatures wrote:

Adding to what others have said, there are also shows that the production committee will not license out for broadcast uncensored, even on premium cable networks like AT-X, since it cuts into the Blu-Ray sales. That was the case with Triage X last season, for instance. In those cases, it isn't like CR is holding back; the option doesn't even exist.

Beyond that, sometimes the more ecchi content isn't even actually finished at the point of the broadcast, and gets added in after the fact, either through new content or re-draws. In those cases, there may not be quite what you expect underneath those black censorship bars.


Actually it seems the majority of ecchi shows get aired censored on Japanese TV. There are a fair number of exceptions like "High School DxD" or "Freezing". But stuff like "Maken-Ki", "Triage
X", "Sekirei", and many other don't show the censored scenes until the BD release.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/15

rabbitofcaerbannog wrote:


imaginarycreatures wrote:

Adding to what others have said, there are also shows that the production committee will not license out for broadcast uncensored, even on premium cable networks like AT-X, since it cuts into the Blu-Ray sales. That was the case with Triage X last season, for instance. In those cases, it isn't like CR is holding back; the option doesn't even exist.

Beyond that, sometimes the more ecchi content isn't even actually finished at the point of the broadcast, and gets added in after the fact, either through new content or re-draws. In those cases, there may not be quite what you expect underneath those black censorship bars.


Actually it seems the majority of ecchi shows get aired censored on Japanese TV. There are a fair number of exceptions like "High School DxD" or "Freezing". But stuff like "Maken-Ki", "Triage
X", "Sekirei", and many other don't show the censored scenes until the BD release.


Yeah basically there adds to sell the uncensored DVDs.

But Holy Fuck they showed Freezing uncensored. Thats crazy to me.
The Wise Wizard
99927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 7/10/15

megahobbit wrote:

But Holy Fuck they showed Freezing uncensored. Thats crazy to me.

They showed it uncensored on AT-X, which is a premium channel. That means either the person has to be old enough to pay for it themselves, or a parent has to foot the bill (and have satellite TV service to subscribe).

You must be logged in to post.