First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Women are Feelers, Men are Thinkers.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 7/10/15 , edited 7/10/15
This post is complete bull shit
246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / New York City, Ne...
Offline
Posted 7/10/15

CalifCat wrote:

I believe that at the core, females approach things in life in a "feeling" way, and men approach things in life in a "thinking" way.

This is not to say men don't feel or women don't think, obviously. It is just that women tend to insert feelings in how they approach something and men are able to think about things in a non feeling way.

I'm at the point where I am so emotionally detached because I have over thought about so many things with feelings attached to my thought processes.

What do you think? Where are you at on this? Don't bombard me with "this is a sexist statement". I did say I believe, I didn't say we all are.


While society has probably conditioned more women to be emotional and men to be more rational, most people are as you say "feelers." I think a lot of people act rashly especially when they are upset by some kind of quarrel or stricken by grief.
8772 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / ATL - GA
Offline
Posted 7/10/15 , edited 7/10/15
Take one look at human history and tell me there's anything logical about it.

Men and women are both incredibly illogical creatures that base decisions on impulse and bias. We'd be vulcans otherwise.
Posted 7/10/15
I'm a guy and I like both thinking about and feeling women.
55109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 7/10/15 , edited 7/10/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

Individual cases don't have an awful lot to do with the legitimacy or illegitimacy of trends and overall statistics. It is impractical or impossible to decide everything on a case-by-case basis, which is why generalizations exist and humans have the ability to pre-judge and learn from experience.

Clearly, men are able to feel and women are able to think so, obviously, there are exceptions. We all know there are exceptions. But those can't really be applied to everyone, which is the reason why people bring up exceptions in the first place. I think OP is saying that men tend to rely more heavily on thinking while women tend to rely more heavily on feeling.

Probably going to get some flak for this, but stereotypes more often than not contain some truth. I'm just going to leave it at that. The topic is not sexist. People getting offended by it make it seem sexist. In truth, OP didn't really even say much, yet people are reading deeply into it and coming up with the worst conclusions. We're going to need more if we want to point fingers and cry sexism. The statement is only sexist to you if you value one above the other. Thinking and feeling are useful and detrimental in their own respective ways. There's no need to fret.


Thank you for eloquently stating my post better than me...you had a more thought out way of expressing it..my feelings behind the post got things a bit misconstrued. Can I borrow your brain?
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/15 , edited 7/10/15
There are a lot of differences between male and female brains, influenced both by genetics/biology and experience/environment (which at many levels, you cannot untangle from one another), which lean towards the ideas that women tend to have increased empathy and social consciousness (these trends also tend to appear within other species and within infants), while men tend to have better multitasking and systematization skills.

These differences hint at the core behind a lot of the ways that society and systems within society are organized.

EDIT: While "women are feelers" does make some sense in this context (women tend to make decisions using empathy more than men for example), the idea that "men are thinkers" is a touch misguided. Both empathetic thinking and systematic thinking are subsets of "thinking", they just apply brainpower in different ways. I think a more apt description would be something like "Men are Systematizers" or something of the sort, although that doesn't roll off the tongue quite as nicely.
Posted 7/10/15
Neither.
Posted 7/10/15
lolololo
14947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 7/10/15 , edited 7/10/15
that is in fact a basic idea of how masculinity and femininity are conceptualized by society. Men are supposed to be rational and stoic with a firm grip on their emotions, making logical decisions. Women are supposed to be more emotional and empathetic by nature. The grain of truth in this is that hormones and chemicals in the brain do influence how men and women behave. but they are only a partial facet of it, in large part the reason we hold onto these notions is because society is obsessed with reinforcing them. Men have to be men, stoic, tough and making rational organized decisions. Women are supposed to be caregivers, emotional and nurturing, while simultaneously not having the same gift for rational decision making. Society doesn't like it when people blur the lines. But these rigid codes of behavior for men and women are really, sort of only a thing because we believe them to be. One of the most frustrating problems society has is the idea that people should act a certain way based on their biological sex.

For an example, I'm assuming a lot of people here are familiar with Kanji from Persona 4? His whole character arc is basically this. He was shamed for his effeminate hobbies and interests at a young age and felt ashamed of them because they weren't manly. Which is why he does that whole juvenile delinquent shtick to conform to a masculine image. His character arc is about him learning to stop being ashamed of his feminine aspects and embrace them.

This is one of the things we really have to get over as a species. Men don't have to be tough and strong, and big boys should cry. Women are not overemotional and irrational creatures by nature. People as individual entities are too complex for the notions of masculinity and femininity, and the struggle to live up to those notions can often be very damaging
55109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 7/10/15

sundin13 wrote:

There are a lot of differences between male and female brains, influenced both by genetics/biology and experience/environment (which at many levels, you cannot untangle from one another), which lean towards the ideas that women tend to have increased empathy and social consciousness (these trends also tend to appear within other species and within infants), while men tend to have better multitasking and systematization skills.

These differences hint at the core behind a lot of the ways that society and systems within society are organized.

EDIT: While "women are feelers" does make some sense in this context (women tend to make decisions using empathy more than men for example), the idea that "men are thinkers" is a touch misguided. Both empathetic thinking and systematic thinking are subsets of "thinking", they just apply brainpower in different ways. I think a more apt description would be something like "Men are Systematizers" or something of the sort, although that doesn't roll off the tongue quite as nicely.


It didn't roll off my brain or tongue as nicely as that either, but yeah, I agree with what you are saying. Feelings just create a bit of madness in my head at times.
Posted 7/10/15 , edited 7/10/15
But it's actually just a personality trait and not a trait to do with gender. There's many women who only think rationally and logically about things and there's many men who let their feelings decide about the outcome of something

15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 7/10/15 , edited 7/10/15

CalifCat wrote:

Thank you for eloquently stating my post better than me...you had a more thought out way of expressing it..my feelings behind the post got things a bit misconstrued. Can I borrow your brain?

Could you not take the IQ test that was done, where they said more females in the middle while males are more in both ends and less in the middle (that could be a "proof" sort of)
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/10/15
Isn't this what Zodiac astrology is for?

Woman, man, it doesn't matter. Either can go about using more rational than emotion or vice versa. It really depends on the person. Men often feel pressured to not get emotional, or hide it, because of generalizations like this unfortunately.

If you're going to generalize it, you'd need statistics. I don't think I'll be seeing anything.
794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / California, USA
Offline
Posted 7/10/15
This topic is bull-in some countries men are supposed to be stoic and strong and women delicate and emotional, in other countries men are supposed to be implusive and idealistic and women are supposed to be down to earth and practical. Yes I do believe there are inherent differences between the sexes but many personality traits are attached to a gender simply because of the culture. Looking at people as a generality is more useful when looking at large scale things but when actually interacting with people it's preferable to have an open mind and not depend on previous notions.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 7/10/15

Jolty_febe wrote: This topic is bull-in some countries men are supposed to be stoic and strong and women delicate and emotional, in other countries men are supposed to be implusive and idealistic and women are supposed to be down to earth and practical. Yes I do believe there are inherent differences between the sexes but many personality traits are attached to a gender simply because of the culture. Looking at people as a generality is more useful when looking at large scale things but when actually interacting with people it's preferable to have an open mind and not depend on previous notions.

This is when I think about monks etc, where the males where more "open" view on nature and the whole world (but it seems like it goes pretty big on both sides for male from very open to very closed)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.