First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply please please please keep LN/manga talk out of anime forums
24905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

mythopoet wrote:


Swaggercandy wrote:


tuhbakee wrote:

..or just spoiler tag it.


The thing with spoiler tags is that It should be for the current episode not about the LN or Manga it is based on. So we never know what's actually inside until we click it.


If you don't want spoilers, just never click a spoiler tag. Problem solved.


Well if I already watched the episode I want to see what they are talking about in the spoilers. Yes people do not mention what's in the spoilers so it should be automatically assumed that it's about the episode
41974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Jackson, MS
Offline
Posted 7/12/15 , edited 7/12/15
Not being able to talk about the source material that the anime was based off in its discussion forum simply because some people either don't know about or care about using the spoiler tags seems a bit excessive.
Sogno- 
45726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/15
it doesnt really bother me if it is tagged, but when it becomes just about manga/ln/vn spoilers instead of current episode then it is a problem (see fate/sn)


Swaggercandy wrote:

The thing with spoiler tags is that It should be for the current episode not about the LN or Manga it is based on.


this i dont agree with. It's not a spoiler if is about the episode(s) already out. otherwise the whole thread would consist of spoilers rather than just regular posting
104095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 7/12/15
51985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

EJHicks wrote:

Not being able to talk about the source material that the anime was based off in its discussion forum simply because some people either don't know about or care about using the spoiler tags seems a bit excessive.


Not at all. There are places you can talk about it without infringing on anyone else, that's the basis of the complaint.

Yes the manga and book threads don't get much traffic, but the fact that there's LN discussion dominating some anime threads says there's a desire for the talk.

We're just asking that people use the appropriate channels instead of putting it where it might disrupt someone elses' enjoyment of the show.
24905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

Sogno- wrote:


Swaggercandy wrote:

The thing with spoiler tags is that It should be for the current episode not about the LN or Manga it is based on.


this i dont agree with. It's not a spoiler if is about the episode(s) already out. otherwise the whole thread would consist of spoilers rather than just regular posting


I meant for example like a huge event that would have been unexpected like a character dying or what not. But I do see your point
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

EJHicks wrote:

Not being able to talk about the source material that the anime was based off in its discussion forum simply because some people either don't know about or care about using the spoiler tags seems a bit excessive.


Seriously. The source material of the anime is relevant and should be free for discussion. A lot of people like to talk about how well the anime adapts the source material. I find those discussion fascinating.
51985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

mythopoet wrote:


EJHicks wrote:

Not being able to talk about the source material that the anime was based off in its discussion forum simply because some people either don't know about or care about using the spoiler tags seems a bit excessive.


Seriously. The source material of the anime is relevant and should be free for discussion. A lot of people like to talk about how well the anime adapts the source material. I find those discussion fascinating.


Gonna stick to my point; There's a place for that, use it.

I'm not saying you can't talk about whatever you want, I don't set the rules.

I'm saying please don't talk about it because it ruins the thread for anyone who doesn't want to know what the LN has to say about it.
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

windsagio wrote:


mythopoet wrote:


EJHicks wrote:

Not being able to talk about the source material that the anime was based off in its discussion forum simply because some people either don't know about or care about using the spoiler tags seems a bit excessive.


Seriously. The source material of the anime is relevant and should be free for discussion. A lot of people like to talk about how well the anime adapts the source material. I find those discussion fascinating.


Gonna stick to my point; There's a place for that, use it.

I'm not saying you can't talk about whatever you want, I don't set the rules.

I'm saying please don't talk about it because it ruins the thread for anyone who doesn't want to know what the LN has to say about it.


Honestly, that's just too bad. That kind of thing is almost always put in spoilers. If you click on it, it's your own fault if you learn something you didn't want to know. It's pretty selfish to ask other people to not hold meaningful conversations about aspects of an anime they are interested in just because you don't want to see it.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/12/15 , edited 7/12/15
I don't think it's a gigantic problem, but it can be sort of annoying.

And the people who often spoil stuff get kind of smug about it too because often the material hasn't even been fan translated yet but they just like to throw around the fact they can read Japanese.

---

On the flip side, just to play Devil's Advocate a bit here. The people who flip out about spoilers can be pretty darn annoying as well. One time I wrote out a spoiler and put it in a spoiler tag. But then someone flipped out on me because I didn't "label the spoiler tag." Acted like I ruined his life and needed to beg for forgiveness or something, lol. OH MY GOD I'M SO SORRY I FORGOT TO PUT A DISCLAIMER ON MY SPOILER TAG I MUST BE THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD.
51985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 7/12/15 , edited 7/13/15

mythopoet wrote:

Honestly, that's just too bad. That kind of thing is almost always put in spoilers. If you click on it, it's your own fault if you learn something you didn't want to know. It's pretty selfish to ask other people to not hold meaningful conversations about aspects of an anime they are interested in just because you don't want to see it.


Well it's about people who have a choice against people who don't.

You have another place where you can (and are supposed to go). Everyone else doesn't have another thread, and a 'no LN spoilers' thread would almost certainly get locked or merged on the "no duplicate threads' rule.

See that's the thing I don't get. People say well noobdy talks in the manga/LN thread (as noted above) but there are clearly people who are willing and interested in discussion about the LN/Manga. Why is it so egregious and selfish to ask someone to use the provided space?
6151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/15
Isn't that a double standard? It is okay to talk about how well an anime adapts the source material from the LN in the Books and Comics section, but not the other way around? In terms of consistency, if you can't discuss the LN at all in the anime forums, the opposite should be true in which case the discussion of how well the anime adapts the source material can't be discussed anywhere.
51985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

gildiin wrote:

Isn't that a double standard? It is okay to talk about how well an anime adapts the source material from the LN in the Books and Comics section, but not the other way around? In terms of consistency, if you can't discuss the LN at all in the anime forums, the opposite should be true in which case the discussion of how well the anime adapts the source material can't be discussed anywhere.


That's a pretty specious argument.

The source material is inevitably ahead of the anime, and so you (almost always) can't spoil the source material from the adaptation.

27764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Reno, NV
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

BigChocolate wrote:


I was expecting the opposite.

And doesn't Fate have a VN discussion anyways?


Yes, there is. I started it a while back because the VN discussion was being spoiler-marked, but was so pervasive in the anime thread that there were entire pages of the thread with two or three visible sentences.

It helped a little, but people still posted VN spoilers in the anime thread, either without spoiler tags or without a warning before the spoiler tag.

Fate's a weird situation, though. It's kinda like going into a discussion thread for The Fellowship of the Ring. The source material has been out for quite a long time, so a lot of people make the erroneous assumption that anyone dedicated enough to discuss it on a forum would already know the source material.

It's a similar problem that occurs in discussion threads regarding Game of Thrones, or at least occurred up until the fan base became large enough to revolt against the A Song of Ice and Fire fans and force them out.
27764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Reno, NV
Offline
Posted 7/12/15 , edited 7/12/15

windsagio wrote:

You have another place where you can (and are supposed to go). Everyone else doesn't have another thread, and a 'no LN spoilers' thread would almost certainly get locked or merged on the "no duplicate threads' rule.

See that's the thing I don't get. People say well noobdy talks in the manga/LN thread (as noted above) but there are clearly people who are willing and interested in discussion about the LN/Manga. Why is it so egregious and selfish to ask someone to use the provided space?





gildiin wrote:

Isn't that a double standard? It is okay to talk about how well an anime adapts the source material from the LN in the Books and Comics section, but not the other way around? In terms of consistency, if you can't discuss the LN at all in the anime forums, the opposite should be true in which case the discussion of how well the anime adapts the source material can't be discussed anywhere.


I can tell you from experience that we have created threads for VN adaptations into anime on more than one occasion without having the threads locked. I would imagine that if you were to start a thread in the anime sub-forum entitled "Differences between GATE anime and light novels (spoiler warning)", it would probably be okay, especially if there's a legitimate problem with the spoilers in the parent thread. It's a bubble case, but as long as the main subject is the adaptation itself, and not the source material, it hasn't historically been an issue.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.