First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply please please please keep LN/manga talk out of anime forums
40974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Jackson, MS
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

windsagio wrote:


EJHicks wrote:

Not being able to talk about the source material that the anime was based off in its discussion forum simply because some people either don't know about or care about using the spoiler tags seems a bit excessive.


Not at all. There are places you can talk about it without infringing on anyone else, that's the basis of the complaint.

Yes the manga and book threads don't get much traffic, but the fact that there's LN discussion dominating some anime threads says there's a desire for the talk.

We're just asking that people use the appropriate channels instead of putting it where it might disrupt someone elses' enjoyment of the show.


Yes, but the forums are for discussing the anime. Discussing how the anime compares to its original counterpart is still discussing the anime. I'm not saying its okay for people to go around posting spoiler after spoiler, because they shouldn't. However, not being able to discuss it all, is going overboard.
13579 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 7/12/15
There's a reason why we have two different sub threads dedicated to each. You shouldn't publish spoilers off the manga on the anime thread as the events haven't even transpired in the anime yet.
6151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/12/15

windsagio wrote:


gildiin wrote:

Isn't that a double standard? It is okay to talk about how well an anime adapts the source material from the LN in the Books and Comics section, but not the other way around? In terms of consistency, if you can't discuss the LN at all in the anime forums, the opposite should be true in which case the discussion of how well the anime adapts the source material can't be discussed anywhere.


That's a pretty specious argument.

The source material is inevitably ahead of the anime, and so you (almost always) can't spoil the source material from the adaptation.



Depends, there are people that will only read official translations that has been licensed to be translated to English. Off the top of my head the following are still behind on their official English translations for LNs:

No Game No Life
The Irregular at Magic HIgh
Strike the Blood
Sword Art Online
Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon
Log Horizon
Black Bullet
Kagerou Daze

Completely banning the discussion of the light novels or manga in comparison to the anime in the anime forum is going overboard. It is still technically a discussion involving the anime. The issue should be people not utilizing the spoiler tag. As I see it, if you open up something that has a spoiler tag, you are accepting the risk that comes with it.

Read at your own risk.
41340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

windsagio wrote:

I just made the mistake of going into the GATE thread to talk about it, and it's defintiely a death by a thousand cuts feeling.

There were 4 or 5 small spoilers (and 1 bigger one) within a single page.

There's manga and books forums, please, I'm begging you, use them instead!


Anime fans tend to diss an anime or know what actually is going on w/o even asking or looking into it!

Anime fans ruin an anime by saying it's no good or it's stupid when events are coming ! So somebody has to set the facts straight but again use spoilers !

I think manga readers have a valid point too!

I am just as upset with anime fans not knowing and post whatever sometimes! So the sword can cut both ways!
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 7/12/15 , edited 7/12/15

BigChocolate wrote:


I was expecting the opposite.

And doesn't Fate have a VN discussion anyways?


Yes it does. The derailing got so bad during the first cour that it had to be made and it actually helped during the first cour and during the break period before the second cour. Though there were some that completely ignored it kita, but a good portion used it during the early stages. It's still used today as well.

Though during the second cour, it got out of hand and people barely used it because all the active discussion was happening in the official thread and even if you tried to start a discussion in the VN thread barely anyone would reply. I'm guilty of this as well.

Though in my opinion, spoilers wasn't the problem of the Fate threads (the first cour it was, but during the second cour not so much), it's the fact that it caused massive debates that derailed the thread, that I and many others were apart of. It was just hard to go in there and post an average episode impression because the discussion was so elaborate and thick, you couldn't just jump in and talk normally. The VN thread was the solution to that, but it got forgotten during the second cour.

The Fate fanbase is very passionate and stern, so massive debates like that just happen for better or for worse. It's like that no matter where you go, Crunchyroll is no exception. It's just how the cookie crumbles.

It only takes a few people to derail threads...


bobland wrote:

There's also the problem of there is hardly anyone to talk to in the LN subforums

Very, very few people go to the "Books & Comics" section, making any sort of discussion impractical.
LN talk is also difficult to come about in the "Manga" section, thus making the best place to talk about a certain LN series is on its anime discussion page. Of course, with spoiler tags because that is what they are for.


This is a major problem as well, barely anyone goes to those forums, which is why manga/LN readers like to discuss stuff in the official thread because it's easier to start discussions!


xxJing wrote:

I automatically assume that whatever is in a spoiler tag contains knowledge that I am unaware of. Because normally when an episode is released, you have people talking about the content of that episode freely without spoiler tags. So I have no idea why anyone would spoiler tag what they are saying about the current episode, when others aren't. It's a discussion of the most recent episode. You should think to yourself "Well there are probably people who are discussing the most recent episode. I should either A) watch the most recent episode or avoid the forum until I watch the most recent episode."

It's kind of like the comments section of the video. "Well I haven't watched this episode yet, might as well go see what is in the comments section that has nothing to do with this episode, even though it is the comments section for this episode. GASP! They are talking about this episode, blasphemy!"

It's like you have to make everything idiot proof these days.



^ This x1000000000

Spoilers obviously mean it's for future events that it hasn't happened in the anime yet. Why would spoilers only be used for the current episode when the discussion is about the current episode!? If you haven't watched the current episode, then you shouldn't have looked the replies/comments.

I don't see the problem with spoiler tags. If you don't want to see spoilers then don't open them! Simple as that. I understand some people don't use spoiler tags, but report it and call people out on it. It's the only solution to it ATM. I try to when I see it, especially if I'm familiar with the source material and I know it's a spoiler.

Mods probably need to enforce it better, lorreen can only do so much by herself. Though, probably mods are busy with real life stuff and can't always moderate and that's understandable, but if that's the case they shouldn't have taken up the modding position in the first place.

Also, maybe an update to the spoiler tag? Like having different type of spoiler tags:

"Massive Manga Spoilers" "Light Novel Spoilers" etc. I do try to label spoilers like, "DO NOT OPEN THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED ABOUT A MAJOR PLOT POINT!" or something like that, but it'd be nice there were variations to the spoiler tags so people have an idea of what's inside.
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

FLjerry2011 wrote:

Anime fans tend to diss an anime or know what actually is going on w/o even asking or looking into it!

Anime fans ruin an anime by saying it's no good or it's stupid when events are coming ! So somebody has to set the facts straight but again use spoilers !

I think manga readers have a valid point too!

I am just as upset with anime fans not knowing and post whatever sometimes! So the sword can cut both ways!


That's another thing as well, it's very frustrating when you see someone dissing on the anime and insulating all these things, when they're making false judgements about the future and are just jumping the gun. It's hard to not correct them because you don't want them preaching false information and speaking like they know what's going to happen next, when they don't.

But ya, they should always use spoilers when doing so.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/12/15 , edited 7/12/15

LoomyTheBrew wrote:

Mods probably need to enforce it better, lorreen can only do so much by herself. Though, probably mods are busy with real life stuff and can't always moderate and that's understandable, but if that's the case they shouldn't have taken up the modding position in the first place.

Extremely off topic, but I can't help but agree with this. Baker should really clean house a little, there are some people who have been modding here for forever and a day and seem to only stick around for the club mentality and the free membership.

------

I think at the end of the day people just need to learn to get over stuff a little better. The fact that special spoiler tags even needs to be suggested just shows how everyone is almost searching for something to complain about. Like I said in an earlier post, I have been on the receiving end of people getting *EXTREMELY* angry with me for posting a spoiler with a spoiler tag that wasn't "properly marked."

If something says it's a spoiler, people need to just treat it like a spoiler. If they don't want to be spoiled, but have an involuntary need to have to click on it, then they just need to learn to stop doing that. Because it's dumb.
Posted 7/12/15
The discussion forums are about the series though, I don't see the problem with talking about the series within the forum about it. People should just spoiler tag it out of courtesy, but I don't think they need to start a whole separate thread for a series. I dunno, I've never had the issue of being spoiled to stuff, so.
41340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

xxJing wrote:

I automatically assume that whatever is in a spoiler tag contains knowledge that I am unaware of. Because normally when an episode is released, you have people talking about the content of that episode freely without spoiler tags. So I have no idea why anyone would spoiler tag what they are saying about the current episode, when others aren't. It's a discussion of the most recent episode. You should think to yourself "Well there are probably people who are discussing the most recent episode. I should either A) watch the most recent episode or avoid the forum until I watch the most recent episode."

It's kind of like the comments section of the video. "Well I haven't watched this episode yet, might as well go see what is in the comments section that has nothing to do with this episode, even though it is the comments section for this episode. GASP! They are talking about this episode, blasphemy!"

It's like you have to make everything idiot proof these days.



A little off subject / but kinda with the use of spoilers!

It is a discuusion thread / if it's the current episode and aired you should be able to talk about the show!

BTW I pay for both CR and FUNI and it goads me to no end when non-paying viewers complain about the discussion / hey we pay and will say!
33783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AR
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

LoomyTheBrew wrote:
Though there's two individuals that sparked the massive arguments every week and if you were an active member of the thread, you know who they are.

Don't be that guy...or guys in this situation. This actually reminded me of the SAO thread, fun times.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

BigChocolate wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:
Though there's two individuals that sparked the massive arguments every week and if you were an active member of the thread, you know who they are.

Don't be that guy...or guys in this situation. This actually reminded me of the SAO thread, fun times.


SAO threads were a dark time man...
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 7/12/15 , edited 7/12/15

imaginarycreatures wrote:

Yes, there is. I started it a while back because the VN discussion was being spoiler-marked, but was so pervasive in the anime thread that there were entire pages of the thread with two or three visible sentences.

It helped a little, but people still posted VN spoilers in the anime thread, either without spoiler tags or without a warning before the spoiler tag.

Fate's a weird situation, though. It's kinda like going into a discussion thread for The Fellowship of the Ring. The source material has been out for quite a long time, so a lot of people make the erroneous assumption that anyone dedicated enough to discuss it on a forum would already know the source material.

It's a similar problem that occurs in discussion threads regarding Game of Thrones, or at least occurred up until the fan base became large enough to revolt against the A Song of Ice and Fire fans and force them out.


Well, I found that it helped a fair amount when it was first created and then during the break period between the cours it really helped because all the Fate fans stayed in there, but it was during the second cour where we kind of forgot about it. I think we should have in enforced it more in the second season like we did in the first season, but then again, some of the arguments didn't even spoilers in them, they were just like morality/social arguments. Like the Saber in the dress argument? Spoilers was not the issue lol, ugh, I'm getting headache just thinking about it.

In the second cour, there wasn't much else to spoil, but Fate/Stay Night as has so much to discuss about that you can have a 10 page argument with barely any spoilers in it. What do you do about that? Ya, you can throw everyone in the VN thread, but the VN wasn't the center of discussion like it was in the first season.

I understand people getting annoyed by long, tedious discussions, but that just happens, you can't do much about that. Most of the actives in that thread like to have elaborate discussions, that's just how we are. Though we could and should have avoided a lot of the fucking stupid discussions like the Saber in the Dress one or if Rin was too Tsun compared to Fate/Deen, along other ones (that i try my best to forget about it haha!) because all it did was derail the thread into a pointless argument. Some of the discussions were interesting, but it only takes or two people to make it a huge mess because you want to push your point to get them to under and the other person just won't let up. You know exactly what I'm talking about.


imaginarycreatures wrote:

I can tell you from experience that we have created threads for VN adaptations into anime on more than one occasion without having the threads locked. I would imagine that if you were to start a thread in the anime sub-forum entitled "Differences between GATE anime and light novels (spoiler warning)", it would probably be okay, especially if there's a legitimate problem with the spoilers in the parent thread. It's a bubble case, but as long as the main subject is the adaptation itself, and not the source material, it hasn't historically been an issue.


I think you can only do that if it's a big franchise like Fate or something like Key because they have massive fanbases. With Gate, I think it just comes down to using and labeling spoilers effectively enough. If we were to make a thread like that for every anime with a source material it'd be a mess.
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 7/12/15

BigChocolate wrote:

Don't be that guy...or guys in this situation. This actually reminded me of the SAO thread, fun times.


Ugh, I'm glad I wasn't apart of the SAO thread during its prime.
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 7/12/15 , edited 7/12/15

Balzack wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

Mods probably need to enforce it better, lorreen can only do so much by herself. Though, probably mods are busy with real life stuff and can't always moderate and that's understandable, but if that's the case they shouldn't have taken up the modding position in the first place.

Extremely off topic, but I can't help but agree with this. Baker should really clean house a little, there are some people who have been modding here for forever and a day and seem to only stick around for the club mentality and the free membership.

------

I think at the end of the day people just need to learn to get over stuff a little better. The fact that special spoiler tags even needs to be suggested just shows how everyone is almost searching for something to complain about. Like I said in an earlier post, I have been on the receiving end of people getting *EXTREMELY* angry with me for posting a spoiler with a spoiler tag that wasn't "properly marked."

If something says it's a spoiler, people need to just treat it like a spoiler. If they don't want to be spoiled, but have an involuntary need to have to click on it, then they just need to learn to stop doing that. Because it's dumb.


Ya, I think some fresh blood may need to be put into the modding staff. lorreen and the Dragon Mod are the only ones that get things done around here in the anime section. I think there's some people on here that'd be more committed at being a mod and keeping things in check. If we have 30 mods and only like 2 of them actually do regular modding, I think we have a problem.

Anyways, I agree, but people don't seem to understand the spoiler tags so I think there needs to be a variety of them so people can have options and there can be no excuse. I think it will make people happier because then we won't have all these different interpretations of spoiler tags since there will be specific spoiler tags. If there's a spoiler that says "Massive Spoiler about a major plot point in the future" or something like that, then it is without a doubt the viewer's fault for opening it because they had a proper warning.

I had to learn the hard way many times to just not open spoiler tags. Curiosity kills the Cat. It's as simple as that really, but people don't seem to agree because we have different views on what the spoiler tag means.
27764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Reno, NV
Offline
Posted 7/12/15 , edited 7/12/15

LoomyTheBrew wrote:


imaginarycreatures wrote:

I can tell you from experience that we have created threads for VN adaptations into anime on more than one occasion without having the threads locked. I would imagine that if you were to start a thread in the anime sub-forum entitled "Differences between GATE anime and light novels (spoiler warning)", it would probably be okay, especially if there's a legitimate problem with the spoilers in the parent thread. It's a bubble case, but as long as the main subject is the adaptation itself, and not the source material, it hasn't historically been an issue.


I think you can only do that if it's a big franchise like Fate or something like Key because they have massive fanbases. With Gate, I think it just comes down to using and labeling spoilers effectively enough. If we were to make a thread like that for every anime with a source material it'd be a mess.


You're right, but if it honestly reaches a point where it's a legitimate problem, then I think the mods would be okay. It worked out in the Fate case because the threads were accumulating over 100 posts a week, and nearly half the discussion during the first cour was directly related to the discussion between the treatment of the characters vis a vis the Deen series and the visual novel. It honestly needed to be a separate topic, since two entirely different discussions were going on. It seems more like the concern is on having multiple threads that are completely superfluous. If all the content can fit onto one thread without any problems, that's obviously a better solution.

In the case of Gate, it's harder to say, since it's still incredibly new, and relatively few people have actually read the novels (though they have read the manga). At the same time, the differences between the two are pretty significant, so I could definitely make a case that having a thread specifically about the differences would be justified, if there's enough conversation about that specifically going on in the thread. I really can't say how it would go, and I don't really care enough to start a thread on my own, but it *is* something that could be considered.

Although it should also be said that you're right that spoilers should have some warning about the content within them labelled. Eventually, I learned to do that on my own, but most people don't make dozens of posts a month and probably wouldn't think about it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.