First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Cultural Isolation and the Anime/Gaming Fandom.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/13/15 , edited 7/13/15

megahobbit wrote:

I fucking hate Thoreaus writing for the record. Romanticism is among the worst classical literature has to offer.


If what you mean is to have an open mind and the willingness to try new things, I agree. However, if it is to find more interests so we can become more suitable friends, I heart fully disagree.


Than we agree then. Friends are just one aspect of it. I dont think you need alot of friends just 1-2 good ones. Dont try and conform to a preconceived societal standard. Show society your not that standard. Your not just a "gamer" or an "anime fan" but a wide range of many interests a human being. Im a weird guy who is self admittedly clinging to a outdated punk rock philosophy of being anti-society. But understand the society you live in at the very least.


Aw but I love Thoreau

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.”

There's nothing to show society however, as I could care little about what society thinks. I do have a very narrow source of interests, I like what I like. Our interests define little of our persons--the experiences and discussions we come to enjoy. A narrow source of interests may make me boring to most, but to the people who have come to accept me they find me anything but boring.

To those people who wallow in the grief of loneliness, not isolation, to them we can only advise a further exploration of themselves and the world around them.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/13/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

I fucking hate Thoreaus writing for the record. Romanticism is among the worst classical literature has to offer.


If what you mean is to have an open mind and the willingness to try new things, I agree. However, if it is to find more interests so we can become more suitable friends, I heart fully disagree.


Than we agree then. Friends are just one aspect of it. I dont think you need alot of friends just 1-2 good ones. Dont try and conform to a preconceived societal standard. Show society your not that standard. Your not just a "gamer" or an "anime fan" but a wide range of many interests a human being. Im a weird guy who is self admittedly clinging to a outdated punk rock philosophy of being anti-society. But understand the society you live in at the very least.


Aw but I love Thoreau

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.”

There's nothing to show society however, as I could care little about what society thinks. I do have a very narrow source of interests, I like what I like. Our interests define little of our persons--the experiences and discussions we come to enjoy. A narrow source of interests may make me boring to most, but to the people who have come to accept me they find me anything but but boring.

To those people who wallow in the grief of loneliness, not isolation, to them we can only advise a further exploration of themselves and the world around them.


But your tastes are not narrow you just exhibited a taste in classical literature and applied it to a conversation. Thats exactly what I think more people in the anime manga fandom should do.

Glad we came to an agreement.
3473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 7/13/15
I am a anime fan but not in the sense that I consume most of my time doing it in reality it takes the least of my time and it's my least favorite thing to do and I fully agree with you a lot of people who are part of this community are those social hermits who have a hard time connecting with others physically and mentally. If you ask me do I watch anime I will say yes if you tell me I am lame for it I won't care but I can connect with all types of groups from athletes to anime geeks because of my wide palette I am known though as ESPN because of my sports knowledge. I also think a lot of these people who trash others on the internet by names like scrub, nub or noob are those who are socially awkward indeed it can be quite unhealthy to be consumed by one thing but many people function properly doing that and I do agree that if anime fans want to be accepted into society they have to metaphorically meet it halfway and I would be more than happy to speak on anime fans behalf. People though can be quite frankly mean towards things they don't understand and I'm not just talking about that jock who picks on that nerdy kid either I'm talking about anime fans and those gaming communities too "Your favorite anime is garbage" or "Ur ez bro" or "Comeback when u hav skill kid!" those type of things.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/13/15

Markest1 wrote:

I am a anime fan but not in the sense that I consume most of my time doing it in reality it takes the least of my time and it's my least favorite thing to do and I fully agree with you a lot of people who are part of this community are those social hermits who have a hard time connecting with others physically and mentally. If you ask me do I watch anime I will say yes if you tell me I am lame for it I won't care but I can connect with all types of groups from athletes to anime geeks because of my wide palette I am known though as ESPN because of my sports knowledge. I also think a lot of these people who trash others on the internet by names like scrub, nub or noob are those who are socially awkward indeed it can be quite unhealthy to be consumed by one thing but many people function properly doing that and I do agree that if anime fans want to be accepted into society they have to metaphorically meet it halfway and I would be more than happy to speak on anime fans behalf. People though can be quite frankly mean towards things they don't understand and I'm not just talking about that jock who picks on that nerdy kid either I'm talking about anime fans and those gaming communities too "Your favorite anime is garbage" or "Ur ez bro" or "Comeback when u hav skill kid!" those type of things.


Completely agree.
11662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 7/13/15 , edited 7/13/15
I completely understand you. I don't have a problem if all they do is just watch anime and invest anything anime, but there is more to life than just kawaii and moe attire.

If anything, I want to encourage more exploration out of the anime/gaming world. Sometimes, having nothing makes you want to be something. Usually, that kind of makes you a dick. I see people that act superior just because someone didn't know a certain word. Like seriously? Their mind is like.. Intellect>Games>Anime>Society. Some of them don't understand ethics, and you need people around you to understand that. (Of course, not literally, but if builds up the bar.)

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with liking what you like and having a passion for it. I love anime and I buy anime stuff, and I'm not a big fan of people, but it doesn't kill me to make new friends.
20198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Unova Region
Offline
Posted 7/13/15
I personally think that's more towards people who are just too connected the internet. Just about everywhere on the internet, no matter what fandom, there is a multitude of people who are so to speak "close-minded" and/or "anti-social".
380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/13/15 , edited 7/13/15
I honestly don't think it's really a problem. In any entertainment medium, you're going to have people who tend to just focus on one thing. I wouldn't say that the gaming community or anime community are unique in that way at all. Sometimes you just have people who isolate themselves from other forms of entertainment. Maybe it happens more in the anime community, I'm not sure. I haven't seen any studies that suggest that it does. I can say from personal experience that it might happen slightly more. However, it's pretty much always a minority within any community that's doing that.

Honestly, I would say that the vast majority of anime and gaming fans I've met have had a wide variety of interests in different things. So I wouldn't really classify it as "a problem with both the anime and gaming fandoms." If anything, it's more of just a personal problem. My guess is that these types of people aren't just isolated within the anime community. They probably tend to be more introverted people who are less interested in trying new things in general. Not that I personally have a problem if people want to do that. Personally, if you aren't hurting anyone then I don't really care that much. Of course, I always encourage people to try new things but if they don't want to I'm certainly not going to try to pressure them into doing so.

I am curious about something because I didn't really understand from your post, but would you say that these people start in the anime community and then isolate themselves from there or would you say that they start isolating themselves outside of the community and then just end up in it? Perhaps it's just that the anime community pulls more introverted, isolated people towards it than other communities and not really that it leads to the isolationism. I may just be misunderstanding, so if you could clarify that would be nice.
32772 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / The Raggedy Edge
Offline
Posted 7/13/15
I think your argument somewhat misses the forest for the trees so to speak, at least in the way you've structured it. Every fandom or theatre of interest suffers from this, the only reason it is more noticeable or liable to be considered a problem is social and cognitive disconnect with reality. I like anime, I like videogames, they are my key interests - and will remain so. However, I rarely talk about them with anyone who isn't already interested in them. As a parallel and my main problem with your argument perspective - too many people who have traditional, normal, and socially acceptable or relatable interests are exactly the same. They cannot or will not engage with people unless it's about what they're interested in, the majority of people I know are this way. It's easy to kid yourself into thinking they're more capable of socializing than typecast nerds and obsessives in the anime and gaming fandoms, but they're more often than not, exactly the same. The key difference is that they're a part of the majority and have the stage so to speak, whereas those in the anime and gaming fandoms don't.

I understand what you're getting at, however, the way you went about it invites hostility from people who feel you are attacking their hobbies and interests which they may well already be demonized for. And that, is perhaps the worst of it. While I openly say I watch anime and play videogames, most people are either ambivalent or interested - at least, they have been for me. However, for others, they can be persecuted psychologically and physically - forcing them deeper into their hobbies, and effectively living inside them. While this is certainly not a healthy reaction, it is natural for people to shelter where they feel safest. It is also natural for people to talk about what they like rather than feign interest in and talk about something they don't like or have an interest in.

Ultimately, I agree with your sentiment - if you want change, work to change things. Society of reality and life is the greatest story and the hardest game. For people who want a good story and a challenging gaming experience, I recommend real life. Just avoid the PvP, it can be fatal.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/13/15

ignitingmemories wrote:

maybe they do have friends? or they do have a social life?

While I have very few friends and little social life, I do have diverse interests and hobbies. The difficulty is sharing them with others.



19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 7/13/15
If someone thinks I have a cultural isolation issue, they oughta look at my profile.
Especially in the music section.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/13/15 , edited 7/13/15

megahobbit wrote:


CKD-Anime wrote:

I don't think its a problem, people like what they like.


Like what you like is fine but saturating yourself in one corner of comfort lessens the amount you enjoy and your reference base for understanding other things. Having a basic understanding of culture is healthy and good for social interaction. You cant sit around in your comfort zone of culture and have no idea what influences or affects what you view and how you view it. A basic understanding of cinematic language could work wonders on your appreciation for anime and increase your understanding of what you watch.


It's amazing how many anime fans thought Lelouch, a classic Byronic hero, was something new.

9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/13/15 , edited 7/13/15

TheObserverRequiem020 wrote:

I think your argument somewhat misses the forest for the trees so to speak, at least in the way you've structured it. Every fandom or theatre of interest suffers from this, the only reason it is more noticeable or liable to be considered a problem is social and cognitive disconnect with reality. I like anime, I like videogames, they are my key interests - and will remain so. However, I rarely talk about them with anyone who isn't already interested in them. As a parallel and my main problem with your argument perspective - too many people who have traditional, normal, and socially acceptable or relatable interests are exactly the same. They cannot or will not engage with people unless it's about what they're interested in, the majority of people I know are this way. It's easy to kid yourself into thinking they're more capable of socializing than typecast nerds and obsessives in the anime and gaming fandoms, but they're more often than not, exactly the same. The key difference is that they're a part of the majority and have the stage so to speak, whereas those in the anime and gaming fandoms don't.

I understand what you're getting at, however, the way you went about it invites hostility from people who feel you are attacking their hobbies and interests which they may well already be demonized for. And that, is perhaps the worst of it. While I openly say I watch anime and play videogames, most people are either ambivalent or interested - at least, they have been for me. However, for others, they can be persecuted psychologically and physically - forcing them deeper into their hobbies, and effectively living inside them. While this is certainly not a healthy reaction, it is natural for people to shelter where they feel safest. It is also natural for people to talk about what they like rather than feign interest in and talk about something they don't like or have an interest in.

Ultimately, I agree with your sentiment - if you want change, work to change things. Society of reality and life is the greatest story and the hardest game. For people who want a good story and a challenging gaming experience, I recommend real life. Just avoid the PvP, it can be fatal.


Fair enough. I have tried to clarify in the OP that I dont think its a problem with what you like rather with how invested you are in it. I never really meant this as an argument though but rather a collection of thoughts.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/13/15

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


CKD-Anime wrote:

I don't think its a problem, people like what they like.


Like what you like is fine but saturating yourself in one corner of comfort lessens the amount you enjoy and your reference base for understanding other things. Having a basic understanding of culture is healthy and good for social interaction. You cant sit around in your comfort zone of culture and have no idea what influences or affects what you view and how you view it. A basic understanding of cinematic language could work wonders on your appreciation for anime and increase your understanding of what you watch.


It's amazing how many anime fans thought Lelouch, a classic Byronic hero, was something new.



The amount of people who dont even know the heroes journey baffle me.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/13/15

megahobbit wrote:

The amount of people who dont even know the heroes journey baffle me.


To be fair I couldn't recite the steps.

9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/13/15

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

The amount of people who dont even know the heroes journey baffle me.


To be fair I couldn't recite the steps.



Yeah though there are different versions floating around. You should at least know the concept.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.