First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Is it just me or has there been a real lack of great mecha anime?
11618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
From what i have seen in last year or two we have maybe gotten a handful if that much of good or decent mecha anime. I may be wrong but it seems that's way to me. Im just curious for everyone's opinions.
17026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
It's become a mainstream genre and it's been flooded with some poor quality anime imo. Some of my favorites are
Aldnoah.Zero
Gurren Lagann
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Asura Cryin'
and Heroic Age.
11618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/14/15

FareiAlf wrote:

It's become a mainstream genre and it's been flooded with some poor quality anime imo. Some of my favorites are
Aldnoah.Zero
Gurren Lagann
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Asura Cryin'
and Heroic Age.


I agree totally and everyone you listed i enjoyed but all of them fall short of the truly great mecha's. I will say Aldnoah.Zero was good but the ending was horrible.
17026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
I tend to stray away from the more "known" anime but I'd watch anything that people recommended to me. I wish that there were more producers that were committed to creating fuller and longer anime, but it's all about the money these days and a mega franchise is hard to achieve when there are more popular genres.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/14/15 , edited 7/14/15
I've seen no shortage of mecha lately. I can't say it's all great. But there's usually at least one every season.

It's easy to look at the breadth of a genre over the years and cherry pick all the good series, then say that nothing good is ever on anymore. But all those series tended to be all different years as well. So you just have to take that into perspective.

Anyways. What I've personally found decent enough to watch in the last couple years have been Gargantia and Sidonia. But I'm really not a mecha fan so I tend to like things that are more cross genre. I think a real mecha fanatic could probably find way more than that to have watched in that time frame.
Koda89 
33626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
Oh there definitely is a low amount of quality mecha the last couple of years. Knights of Sidonia was the only mecha last year that got more than a "meh" reaction out of me(yes this includes Aldnoah.Zero, sure the action scenes were fun and were what got me through the series but the characters were just so badly written, imo, that I only cared about the action scenes and there weren't enough of those to get A.Z more than a "meh" from me).
62822 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
11618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
Knights of Sidonia was the only mecha anime that i thought was a must watch in a very long time , if you add Majestic Prince, Linebarrels of Iron. and Valvrave the Liberator they make up the only mechas that i think will not disappoint but wont amaze anyone.

And going back Gurren Lagann which FareiAlf mentioned its not that i dont like the series i really think its one of the best i just really hate Rossiu lol.
34903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / the bay
Offline
Posted 7/14/15

screendoor wrote:

From what i have seen in last year or two we have maybe gotten a handful if that much of good or decent mecha anime. I may be wrong but it seems that's way to me. Im just curious for everyone's opinions.


did you try argevollen??
11618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/14/15

Arbitrator wrote:


screendoor wrote:

From what i have seen in last year or two we have maybe gotten a handful if that much of good or decent mecha anime. I may be wrong but it seems that's way to me. Im just curious for everyone's opinions.


did you try argevollen??


Yeah and it was good but it was mediocre at best. The ending was horrible and it needed at least another season to explain all that was going on behind the scene. Argo flaw was that it was a great story that was rushed into 24 episodes we needed more.
Koda89 
33626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 7/14/15

screendoor wrote:

Knights of Sidonia was the only mecha anime that i thought was a must watch in a very long time , if you add Majestic Prince, Linebarrels of Iron. and Valvrave the Liberator they make up the only mechas that i think will not disappoint but wont amaze anyone.

And going back Gurren Lagann which FareiAlf mentioned its not that i dont like the series i really think its one of the best i just really hate Rossiu lol.


Dude everyone hates Rossiu. I think the whole purpose of his character was to hate him.
11618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/14/15

Koda89 wrote:


screendoor wrote:

Knights of Sidonia was the only mecha anime that i thought was a must watch in a very long time , if you add Majestic Prince, Linebarrels of Iron. and Valvrave the Liberator they make up the only mechas that i think will not disappoint but wont amaze anyone.

And going back Gurren Lagann which FareiAlf mentioned its not that i dont like the series i really think its one of the best i just really hate Rossiu lol.


Dude everyone hates Rossiu. I think the whole purpose of his character was to hate him.


Lol i know but for some reason it just really kills me emotionally. That amount of distrust and disloyalty I guess is to much for me. You dont throw your friends and in this case just about family under the bus like that. Plus i would have let that rat bastard shoot himself.
\
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
Gundam 00
Gurren Lagann
Eureka 7
Code Geass (yeah it IS mecha)
Aldnoah Zero
Knights of Sidonia

there's so many of them. I love mecha <3
11618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/14/15

chrome_mist wrote:

Gundam 00
Gurren Lagann
Eureka 7
Code Geass (yeah it IS mecha)
Aldnoah Zero
Knights of Sidonia

there's so many of them. I love mecha <3


Im not saying there are no good mecha what im saying is that we use to have top not mecha, now all we have is mediocre mecha. Or just average.
19700 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
Distinct lack of Cross Ange in this thread
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.