First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Ever notice when the subtitles are not translated right?
8072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / North of the Wall
Offline
Posted 7/14/15 , edited 9/16/15
I've learned enough Japanese over time that I notice this all the time, sometimes whole sentences are completely off, like the translator got lazy and just pulled it out of their butt. I could understand sometimes maybe if there are conversational flow issues but...its kind of annoying really.
40315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
Always.
103973 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
I applied for the editor position.

32280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
Just turn the subtitles off then if they annoy you.
8072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / North of the Wall
Offline
Posted 7/14/15

CKD-Anime wrote:

Just turn the subtitles off then if they annoy you.



Its hard to keep up though. I still have a ways to go. it would be easier to learn if i had people to talk to in japanese but nobody i know does.
412 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/15 , edited 7/14/15
Sometimes it's more of a poor translation choice than a real mistake though. It's not that it's wrong per se if you just take the sentence out of context, but it simply doesn't connect with the context, leading to the watchers being confused by the poor choice. That one happens more often than sentence really translated wrong.

But I also often see peoples talking a bit of Japanese complaining about X and Y being wrong translation, but after listening to what they were talking about, I had to agree that the translator made a correct choice.

Not saying it's your case. There ARE real mistakes as well. Just not as numerous than some fans think there is.
22899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
You mean when they say" yeah buddy" like all the time lol
42630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 7/14/15 , edited 12/9/15
Meh.. There are plenty of times when people can't translate English to English, even when you try to explain it to them.
One Punch Mod
85792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/14/15

AnimeKami wrote:

I applied for the editor position.


Good luck!
Posted 7/14/15
Nope, never noticed as I don't know Japanese. Don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing.

I mean anime isn't some extreme literature with subtlety or deep meanings that you need to get every word and sentence correct. You can infer from the actions, sometimes I can guess what the characters are going to say before they even say it...
22899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/14/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

Nope, never noticed as I don't know Japanese. Don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing.

I mean anime isn't some extreme literature with subtlety or deep meanings that you need to get every word and sentence correct. You can infer from the actions, sometimes I can guess what the characters are going to say before they even say it...


This is so true we anime fans-(I am guilty also)- sometimes are so serious about pointing out mistakes- I think a deep breath and enjoying the show gets left in the dust
Posted 7/14/15

scoobydew wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

Nope, never noticed as I don't know Japanese. Don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing.

I mean anime isn't some extreme literature with subtlety or deep meanings that you need to get every word and sentence correct. You can infer from the actions, sometimes I can guess what the characters are going to say before they even say it...


This is so true we anime fans-(I am guilty also)- sometimes are so serious about pointing out mistakes- I think a deep breath and enjoying the show gets left in the dust


Yeah, translation is not an easy task. Otherwise google translate wouldn't be so retarded.

Sometimes there is no equivalent from an Asian language to an English language, and you really do have to find the closest equivalent.
103973 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 7/14/15

lorreen wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

I applied for the editor position.


Good luck!


10587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
sometimes the mistranslation is too obvious though.
example: a character asking "are you still mad at her?" in the translation
when she really said "aren't you mad at her?"
120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/15
I've noticed a few times where the subtitles are wrong only because they're written in the wrong order and end up not matching the image very well. This is more fatal for comedies where timing and presentation of a joke is important, and the subtitles end up showing the punch line before the set up to the joke.

I've also seen cases where the translation is too bland or lacking, and it's horrifying to watch people walk away from a show you like because the translation wasn't good enough. The subtle things are very important and every word counts towards understanding what the animation can't convey.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.