First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply How to get caught up on gundam in the shortest amount of time possible
4604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/15/15
I love giant robots and mecha anime, but I have never seen gundam for the simple reason that there's so gundamn much of it. I'd just like to ask you beautiful people what the quickest way to get the essential gundam experience would be.
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 7/15/15 , edited 7/19/15
If you are talking mostly just the UC Timeline and in order then

Start with the first 3 movies (they condense all of the original series into 3 movies). Then watch War in the pocket, 08th MS Team, Stardust Memory, Zeta Gundam (or the Zeta Gundam movies, but I prefer the full run here), ZZ Gundam, Char’s Counterattack and then Unicorn.

Of course, this omits most of the OVAs and other movies, but you can sort of watch them as you see fit.

If you are talking about series outside the main UC timeline, it doesn't matter too too much. however, I do highly recommend 00 Gundam.

If you just want some good dumb fun and not as much seriousness, then definitely check out the Gundam Build fighters series. If you watch most of the other series first, however, you will be able to pick out what suits were used as inspiration for much of Build Fighters and Build Fighters Try.

Turn A Gundam is really good too. I am also one of those rare people who actually enjoyed G Gundam (it's basically a Shounen Gundam series).

Then there is also Gundam Wing followed by it's Movie Endless Waltz.

Just whatever you do, stay away from SD Gundam. it doesn;t fit anywhere and is pretty dumb. Unless you're really into cartoons for the younger kids kind of thing.

There is a lot to see and be excited about in the Gundam Franchise. I am a Gundam Fanboy, but these are just some of my suggestions.
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F
Offline
Posted 7/15/15
I have been wondering this same thing. I want to experience Gundam, but have no idea where to start.

Question: what is the UC timeline?
9547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 7/15/15

mythopoet wrote:

I have been wondering this same thing. I want to experience Gundam, but have no idea where to start.

Question: what is the UC timeline?


UC is Universal Century.
You can start off by checking out this recommendation wiki. http://recommendations.wikia.com/wiki/Mecha,_Franchises#
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 7/15/15 , edited 7/15/15

mythopoet wrote:

I have been wondering this same thing. I want to experience Gundam, but have no idea where to start.

Question: what is the UC timeline?


Universal Century.

It's the main Gundam Timeline. All the shows from this era are intertwined. Most other series are just their own thing.


colorfulhoudini wrote:


mythopoet wrote:

I have been wondering this same thing. I want to experience Gundam, but have no idea where to start.

Question: what is the UC timeline?


UC is Universal Century.
You can start off by checking out this recommendation wiki. http://recommendations.wikia.com/wiki/Mecha,_Franchises#


Oh yeah. I forgot Igloo.

Not a must watch, but a very good watch.

My personal favs from the UC Timeline are 08th MS Team and Zeta. But, if you don't at least have the foundation of UC 0079: Mobile Suit Gundam then you're kind of missing a bunch.
31133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 7/15/15 , edited 7/15/15

Yamstarch wrote:
If you are talking about series outside the main UC timeline, it doesn't matter too too much. however, I do highly recommend 00 Gundam.


I must have tried starting 00 Gundam three times over the years, but always wound up dropping it after a few episodes. I think it's because it felt too much like I was watching a rehash of Gundam Wing with better animation. I suppose that wouldn't be a concern for viewers that haven't already seen Gundam Wing.

I do agree with your list in general though.
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 7/15/15

iriomote wrote:


Yamstarch wrote:
If you are talking about series outside the main UC timeline, it doesn't matter too too much. however, I do highly recommend 00 Gundam.


I must have tried starting 00 Gundam three times over the years, but always wound up dropping it after a few episodes. I think it's because it felt too much like I was watching a rehash of Gundam Wing with better animation. I suppose that wouldn't be a concern for viewers that haven't already seen Gundam Wing.

I do agree with your list in general though.


I honestly thought the same thing when I first got into 00, but 00 is also much more relatable with current events in our own world. Religion, Martyrdom, Oil/fossil fuels, Middle-Eastern Battles. Politics in the East/Middle-East, spies, intrigue, terrorist factions, control of energy resources, etc. It is much slower and honestly more thought provoking than Wing was. Wing is more just dumb fun. I don't mean that in a negative sense at all. wing has some of the most epic mobile suits and battles in ALL of Gundam. Even for a series that is almost 20 years old, it is STILL a feast for the eyes. I love Gundam Wing too, but I do not consider it a much watch as far as Gundam Series goes. And I say this as my favorite Gundam (Deathscythe Hell) and favorite Gundam Pilot (Duo Maxwell) both come from this series.
31133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 7/15/15

Yamstarch wrote:

I honestly thought the same thing when I first got into 00, but 00 is also much more relatable with current events in our own world. Religion, Martyrdom, Oil/fossil fuels, Middle-Eastern Battles. Politics in the East/Middle-East, spies, intrigue, terrorist factions, control of energy resources, etc. It is much slower and honestly more thought provoking than Wing was. Wing is more just dumb fun. I don't mean that in a negative sense at all. wing has some of the most epic mobile suits and battles in ALL of Gundam. Even for a series that is almost 20 years old, it is STILL a feast for the eyes. I love Gundam Wing too, but I do not consider it a much watch as far as Gundam Series goes. And I say this as my favorite Gundam (Deathscythe Hell) and favorite Gundam Pilot (Duo Maxwell) both come from this series.


Fair enough, I enjoyed Wing, but it was never one of my favorite series, which probably also made it harder to get into 00 due to all the initial similarities.

Personally, 08th MS Team was the pinnacle of the franchise for me, since it was about the struggle of regular pilots instead of super soldiers with psychic powers or vastly overpowered mobile suits. I've really yet to see another mecha anime do the same. However, as noted in this thread, it really expects that you're already familiar with the UC timeline so it isn't a good starting point.
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F
Offline
Posted 7/15/15

colorfulhoudini wrote:


mythopoet wrote:

I have been wondering this same thing. I want to experience Gundam, but have no idea where to start.

Question: what is the UC timeline?


UC is Universal Century.
You can start off by checking out this recommendation wiki. http://recommendations.wikia.com/wiki/Mecha,_Franchises#


Is it better to watch them in the chronological order that page lists, or to watch them in the order they were produced?
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 7/15/15 , edited 7/15/15

iriomote wrote:


Fair enough, I enjoyed Wing, but it was never one of my favorite series, which probably also made it harder to get into 00 due to all the initial similarities.

Personally, 08th MS Team was the pinnacle of the franchise for me, since it was about the struggle of regular pilots instead of super soldiers with psychic powers or vastly overpowered mobile suits. I've really yet to see another mecha anime do the same. However, as noted in this thread, it really expects that you're already familiar with the UC timeline so it isn't a good starting point.


This hanging above my bed will tell you what my thoughts are on 08th MS Team






mythopoet wrote:


colorfulhoudini wrote:


mythopoet wrote:

I have been wondering this same thing. I want to experience Gundam, but have no idea where to start.

Question: what is the UC timeline?


UC is Universal Century.
You can start off by checking out this recommendation wiki. http://recommendations.wikia.com/wiki/Mecha,_Franchises#


Is it better to watch them in the chronological order that page lists, or to watch them in the order they were produced?


My personal opinion is chronological. Even though the animation quality and such will change, you will get a better "feeling" of the story.

A lot of Gundam purists argue the opposite of me on this one, but I always prefer a chronological story when available.


Not that I am trying to spam this thread even more, but I came across this link while digging myself. Granted it's from 2013, but is still pretty decent even if missing a wee bit: http://attackongaming.com/original-articles/where-to-start-with-gundam-and-end-up-at-unicorn/
9547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 7/15/15
I agree with Yamstarch. You're better off starting with Mobile Suit 0079 (43 episodes long, everything else is either an OVA/movie/13 eps long). It's the start of the UC (Main story line if you want to call it) and the basis of the Gundam series. After that you can check out the chronological order.
One Punch Mod
85857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/15/15

octorockandroll wrote:

I love giant robots and mecha anime, but I have never seen gundam for the simple reason that there's so gundamn much of it. I'd just like to ask you beautiful people what the quickest way to get the essential gundam experience would be.


mythopoet wrote:

I have been wondering this same thing. I want to experience Gundam, but have no idea where to start.

Question: what is the UC timeline?


I know exceedingly little about Gundam, but it looks like you've got same great advice here already. I have moved this to the Advice, Info, Recommendations forum however, so perhaps some additional suggestions will show up.
4604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/16/15

Yamstarch wrote:

If you are talking mostly just the UC Timeline and in order then

Start with th
is really good too. I am also one of those rare people who actually enjoyed G Gundam (it's basically a Shounen Gundam series).

Then there is also Gundam Wing followed by it's Movie Endless Waltz.

So I watched all of MSG and it was awesome. But I'm two episodes into 0080 and I am not liking it. I like the idea of an entry in the franchise with more plot and characters and less action scenes, but I'm just not feeling it with this one because none of the characters are all that interesting. Plus the sound mixing is baffling, Every time there's music it drowns out the dialogue and I cant hear a thing anyone's saying. Does this get fixed later in the series, or could it just be I'm streaming from a bad rip?
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 7/16/15
Sounds like it's a bad source. Do some more searching. There are other sites with superb streams for Gundam. I just don't like to name them since I pay for and support CR. Gundam is tough since there are no US distributors anymore.
4604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/16/15

Yamstarch wrote:

Sounds like it's a bad source. Do some more searching. There are other sites with superb streams for Gundam. I just don't like to name them since I pay for and support CR. Gundam is tough since there are no US distributors anymore.


I found a better one, and I'm enjoying it much more because of it, I think the chemistry between Al and the David Hayter character is pretty nice, but I really dont like the liar revealed story trope that this ova unfortunately practices. Still a good watch tho, looking forward to 0083 since that seems to be the one that got the US so interested in the franchise.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.