First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Best car for a new driver (need advice)
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 7/17/15
Got my license two weeks ago (if you remember my thread) and I'm stoked, now I need a car for myself.

I was wondering what car you guys drive and whether or not it's reliable/what you guys would recommend.

I'm like... I'm not sure how I feel about regular sedans. I guess they're cool and all but I can't really see myself driving one. I am a fan of more compact cars like MINI Coopers or something but I've heard that they're really unreliable as much as I would like to get one myself. I've been borrowing my friend's Mazda2 and it's fun to drive plus it's pretty cute so I was thinking about that although I don't know if Mazdas hold up well (if anyone has more solid experience with this brand that'd be great). I know Hondas/Toyotas/Nissans are the most reliable, again, not sure about that whole sedan thing. VW Golfs are cool, but I dunno. I don't know anything about cars. The FRS is real sick but it's not practical to have a sports car since I'll be traveling with 4+ friends often.

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't really have a budget honestly, but I don't really want to go over $20k for my very first ride. Used is okay, provided that you give me some insight on how to purchase used cars.

So yeah, I want something that is reliable, roomy (but that's not a huge must; something that'll be alright for 2-5 hour long trips without the people in the back having their legs cramped to the point they need them amputated), definitely not hideous... I think that's it. I like compacts.

Uhh, please no minivans, SUVs, etc. No luxury brands please -- I'll get an S8 when I'm 30 or something. Right now I don't think a high-end car would be a good look for a college student.

Thanks in advance!
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/17/15 , edited 7/17/15
I drive a Honda civic (it was a cousins former car). Trucks are the safest but use a ton of gas. Cars that have Boxy shapes generally have shit mileage cause of the design.
55107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 7/17/15
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/iihs-issues-recommendations-on-used-vehicles-for-teens-after-research-finds-many-arent-driving-the-safest-ones

Scroll down for the cars, gives you a breakdown of prices, features, looks, ( I know you're not a teen,but this seems really helpful!)
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/17/15
Get something cheap and used for your first car, you're gonna bang it up.

Honda Civic
Frithy 
416 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 7/17/15 , edited 7/17/15
I drive a Ford Laser (also known as a mazda 323 protege). Its a medium sized hatchback year 2002. I picked it up for about $2500. Id recommend anything small cheap and reliable. I get about 500km (310 miles) on a whole tank, depending on how i drive. Not entirely sure about models in america, but if you have these i'd recommend Subaru Impreza hatchback, daihatsu cuore, Mitsubishi Mirage. Depending on your budget I'd say get anything that's around 5-10 years old, make sure you get it inspected by a mechanic. And if the price is too good to be true, ie like $500 for a car just question why because its probably been thrashed.
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 7/17/15

Frithy wrote:

I drive a Ford Laser (also known as a mazda 323 protege). Its a medium sized hatchback year 2002. I picked it up for about $2500. Id recommend anything small cheap and reliable. I get about 500km (310 miles) on a whole tank, depending on how i drive. Not entirely sure about models in america, but if you have these i'd recommend Subaru Impreza hatchback, daihatsu cuore, Mitsubishi Mirage. Depending on your budget I'd say get anything that's around 5-10 years old, make sure you get it inspected by a mechanic. And if the price is too good to be true, ie like $500 for a car just question why because its probably been thrashed.


no budget, under 20k would be optimal though as stated :p
17749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 7/17/15
Toyota yaris/2009 - 2013 second gen have clocked 250k miles before needing any work, the alternator failed about then with the clutch at 400k and the flywheel at 500k, sensors still good at 500k miles. Not sure how well they will age, but I love mine.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/17/15
One problem with the Honda program:

https://youtu.be/U1xyOaRXS7s

Good chance these people will visit you.
13252 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Death ✭
Offline
Posted 7/17/15
I drive a 2008 Volkswagen R32. I love it!! It's very practical. It's a two door, but it has lots of space. It's also AWD, so it's excellent in the winter/snow. It's a very fun car to drive!! It's not all great though, the mpg is pretty terrible, and it also requires premium gas.

I would check out maybe a Scion TC. I owned one myself, and It was a solid car for the time that I owned it, very reliable.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/17/15

frankvr6 wrote:

I drive a 2008 Volkswagen R32. I love it!! It's very practical. It's a two door, but it has lots of space. It's also AWD, so it's excellent in the winter/snow. It's a very fun car to drive!! It's not all great though, the mpg is pretty terrible, and it also requires premium gas.

I would check out maybe a Scion TC. I owned one myself, and It was a solid car for the time that I owned it, very reliable.


How bad is "bad" on the mileage? I mean I have a 454BB that gets really hungry at anything over 100mph.

13252 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Death ✭
Offline
Posted 7/17/15

VZ68 wrote:


frankvr6 wrote:

I drive a 2008 Volkswagen R32. I love it!! It's very practical. It's a two door, but it has lots of space. It's also AWD, so it's excellent in the winter/snow. It's a very fun car to drive!! It's not all great though, the mpg is pretty terrible, and it also requires premium gas.

I would check out maybe a Scion TC. I owned one myself, and It was a solid car for the time that I owned it, very reliable.


How bad is "bad" on the mileage? I mean I have a 454BB that gets really hungry at anything over 100mph.



LOL!! It's not as bad as a 454 BIG BLOCK. It has a VR6 engine.

MPG
18 city / 23 highway.



I get a lot less than that, I'm not sure how much less exactly though.

Do you daily that monster?
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/17/15

frankvr6 wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


frankvr6 wrote:

I drive a 2008 Volkswagen R32. I love it!! It's very practical. It's a two door, but it has lots of space. It's also AWD, so it's excellent in the winter/snow. It's a very fun car to drive!! It's not all great though, the mpg is pretty terrible, and it also requires premium gas.

I would check out maybe a Scion TC. I owned one myself, and It was a solid car for the time that I owned it, very reliable.


How bad is "bad" on the mileage? I mean I have a 454BB that gets really hungry at anything over 100mph.



LOL!! It's not as bad as a 454 BIG BLOCK. It has a VR6 engine.

MPG
18 city / 23 highway.



I get a lot less than that, I'm not sure how much less exactly though.

Do you daily that monster?


Yeah, it's that or a 360ci Sport. Looking to get something smaller soon, they tend to enjoy drinking a bit much.

454 gets about 7 to 5 if I'm on the loud pedal hard

360 gets about 10 to 11

Frithy 
416 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 7/17/15

deer wrote:


Frithy wrote:

I drive a Ford Laser (also known as a mazda 323 protege). Its a medium sized hatchback year 2002. I picked it up for about $2500. Id recommend anything small cheap and reliable. I get about 500km (310 miles) on a whole tank, depending on how i drive. Not entirely sure about models in america, but if you have these i'd recommend Subaru Impreza hatchback, daihatsu cuore, Mitsubishi Mirage. Depending on your budget I'd say get anything that's around 5-10 years old, make sure you get it inspected by a mechanic. And if the price is too good to be true, ie like $500 for a car just question why because its probably been thrashed.


no budget, under 20k would be optimal though as stated :p


Lol no budget and you want a compact car? Sounds like you need a VW golf GTI
13252 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Death ✭
Offline
Posted 7/17/15

VZ68 wrote:


frankvr6 wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


frankvr6 wrote:

I drive a 2008 Volkswagen R32. I love it!! It's very practical. It's a two door, but it has lots of space. It's also AWD, so it's excellent in the winter/snow. It's a very fun car to drive!! It's not all great though, the mpg is pretty terrible, and it also requires premium gas.

I would check out maybe a Scion TC. I owned one myself, and It was a solid car for the time that I owned it, very reliable.


How bad is "bad" on the mileage? I mean I have a 454BB that gets really hungry at anything over 100mph.



LOL!! It's not as bad as a 454 BIG BLOCK. It has a VR6 engine.

MPG
18 city / 23 highway.



I get a lot less than that, I'm not sure how much less exactly though.

Do you daily that monster?


Yeah, it's that or a 360ci Sport. Looking to get something smaller soon, they tend to enjoy drinking a bit much.

454 gets about 7 to 5 if I'm on the loud pedal hard

360 gets about 10 to 11




That's not a bad idea.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/17/15

frankvr6 wrote:




That's not a bad idea.


Yeah, but I love the sound of a v8 getting wound out. *sighs*
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.