First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Is there an anime without painfully obvious CGI this season?
56952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 7/18/15
Low-budget CGI has been worming its way into anime since the '90s. I pay it no mind. (Except for the cars. Those bug me a lot for some reason.)
8733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / MI
Offline
Posted 7/18/15


Charlotte has had some some great CGI backgrounds so far. You can barely tell it's CGI. I mean, sure it's easy to tell watching the gif over and over, but it meshed with the non-CG characters really well.
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 7/18/15

galdris wrote:

I'v been watching some of the anime this season and a lot of them have horrible CGI complete shit! that sticks out like a sore thumb and it's taking me out of the moment! Is there an anime that doesn't have any of this this season??

Can everyone else stand seeing this awful CGI? Because no matter how hard I try I just can't over look it.




You should just start rewatching the greats from the late 90s / early 2000s.

Start with the longer series.

Utena
Fushigi Yuugi
1018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / San Angelo, Texas
Offline
Posted 7/18/15
Go watch any KyoAni anime. They have never used CGI If so, then very very very little but I would like to see proof of CGI within KyoAni. Not even Free had it
8733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / MI
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

horikoshi wrote:

Go watch any KyoAni anime. They have never used CGI If so, then very very very little but I would like to see proof of CGI within KyoAni. Not even Free had it


Bruh... KyoAni uses CGI all the time.


This was like a minute into the first episode of Hyouka.

1018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / San Angelo, Texas
Offline
Posted 7/18/15
Let's go for OP's definition of painfully obvious CGI. Idk if it needs to be painfully obvious such as character CGI like in Yowamushi pedal or if well used/well hidden CGI is also in that painfully obvious group
8733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / MI
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

horikoshi wrote:

Let's go for OP's definition of painfully obvious CGI. Idk if it needs to be painfully obvious such as character CGI like in Yowamushi pedal or if well used/well hidden CGI is also in that painfully obvious group


Ok, fine then how about the robot in Clannad?



Theres tons of stuff like this.
48995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Noctilum
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

jordancharacter wrote:

While the CGI is obvious, it is done extremely well in Etotama. I think so, at least.


I agree, the Etotama CGi was amazing. Obvious high quality used on that show.
1018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / San Angelo, Texas
Offline
Posted 7/18/15
I reference yowamushi pedal for a reason. It also uses CGI for their characters. Studios are in general really bad at hiding it, but KyoAni does a good job. Even Tatsunoko Productions does a fairly good job especially with Ping Pong the Animation and other anime like it. But when one looks at those who are power houses like Misaaki Yuasa, Shinkai, Miyazaki, KyoAni, Madhouse, Gainax, Trigger, etc. one only applauds in awe when one finds the CGI. It is like finally finding Waldo (from Where's Waldo? ) in the books of "hard difficulty".

I am sorry sir or madam, but you are wrong. This is why I feel like the OP needs to make a more definite definition of his or her distaste in the medium: computer-generated images because then I could complain that it is by the fault of your eyes for finding the images that look computer generated and not akin to the anime style. We need to wait and not argue this pedantic dance of whom is right and define this "painfully obvious CGI".

To use an anime like Clannad just proves my point even further, the robot is supposed to be computer-generated. Those scenes are used as part of the anime as an attempt to give the scenes prior and after this more meaning. As we look further into this .gif you have posted, you notice that both the girl and robot are brought to attention, yet do we notice if the table is drawn or CG'ed? What about the floor? All these point to a deeper methodical madness KyoAni had to think of when making this scene. They purposefully made it painfully obvious for the robot to show how important it is to the girl.

So thank you for proving me right, dummy

8733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / MI
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

horikoshi wrote:

To use an anime like Clannad just proves my point even further, the robot is supposed to be computer-generated. Those scenes are used as part of the anime as an attempt to give the scenes prior and after this more meaning. As we look further into this .gif you have posted, you notice that both the girl and robot are brought to attention, yet do we notice if the table is drawn or CG'ed? What about the floor? All these point to a deeper methodical madness KyoAni had to think of when making this scene. They purposefully made it painfully obvious for the robot to show how important it is to the girl.

So thank you for proving me right, dummy



*Facepalm*

The entire room was CGI. I only mentioned the robot because this gif only shows the robot clearly. Not because thats what they intended, but because thats the only thing that's moving. The CGI room is pretty obvious in other shots.

Heres the After Story OP for another example.



Im not saying KyoAni's CGI is "painfully obvious", its usually blended pretty well, usually. However you said tthat they didnt use CGI at all, which is of course completely untrue. Haruhi used CGI all the time and pretty badly from what I remember, Nichijou as well. Even K-On used it quite frequently.
5729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Palatine, Illinois
Offline
Posted 7/18/15
I have no idea wtf is CGI T_T Help this nub pls.
8733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / MI
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

SelfConsciousParadox wrote:

I have no idea wtf is CGI T_T Help this nub pls.


Computer generated imagery. Using computers to model 3D objects or environments instead of hand-drawing things that would otherwise be difficult to draw.
5729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Palatine, Illinois
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

ThisWasATriumph wrote:


SelfConsciousParadox wrote:

I have no idea wtf is CGI T_T Help this nub pls.


Computer generated imagery. Using computers to model 3D objects or environments instead of hand-drawing things that would otherwise be difficult to draw.


Oh thank you so much
39419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

jordancharacter wrote:
While the CGI is obvious, it is done extremely well in Etotama. I think so, at least.


The great thing they did in Etotama was to put a solid wall between the (mostly) animated and all CGI worlds. Plus the CGI was so smoothly animated and colourful. It's like the technique was created just for those sequences.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/18/15 , edited 7/18/15
Honestly I've been watching some of my old favorite slice of life shows from ten years ago or so and the crudely drawn backgrounds really bother me now that I'm more used highly detailed blended CGI sort of stuff.

I mean don't get me wrong, I dislike egregious use of CGI like what's shown in things like Sidonia. And I actually turned to anime because I hate all the Pixar type crap we get inundated with here. But amazing looking backgrounds that blend well with the characters and foreground can be some serious eye candy. I feel like anime in general is getting way better as far as visuals are concerned.

Karin, Kimi ni Todoke, Lovely Complex, etc. Shows I really loved a lot but were really rather terrible looking. I feel that if they were to be animated today that they would probably receive some serious visual improvements. Since the technology is so much cheaper now, they don't have to sacrifice quality for lower interest genre's too much anymore.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.