First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Do you deny the existence of evil?
22899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

LadyofAshes wrote:


scoobydew wrote:


pirththee wrote:


scoobydew wrote:

I think Fox news is evil and its sole existence is to create fear and spread lies or prey on the uneducated


The outrage format is designed to keep the less than affluent right from realizing they are being raped by those rich elitists that Faux News agenda serves.Like Rupert Murdoch.


We are in agreement they also invented one word catch phrases for the simple minded viewer to identify easier


All of the other news networks are just as corrupt as fox.I


I would challenge your blanket statement I watch PBS and they are not controlled by deep pockets like FOX
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 7/18/15
I'd call existence itself evil but I believe that to be an accident, and accidents can't really be evil so far as I define the term.

Do I think people can be evil? No, not really. People are incredibly complex; so many factors go into making them who they are and deciding what they will do. To boil a person down to something so shallow and one-dimensional as "evil" is confusing to me. Of course, people do things that I strongly disagree with at times, but I'm not so absorbed in my views as to declare that my beliefs are any more valid than what others hold. People ultimately do what they believe to be the best.

Many people have been labeled as evil throughout history. Witches, Communists, Jews, Muslims, Christians, etc. I'd argue that none are evil. Murderers? I'd argue that they either had reason for doing what they did, are mentally ill, or have values different from what most do, in the same way that Christians and Muslims had different views during their heavy conflicts a few centuries back.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

LadyofAshes wrote:


pirththee wrote:

I affirm the presence of labels that have been leveled in the pursuit of an agenda.


The "agenda" is to say wrongdoing exists outside of insanity in non-disordered people, and that we do people who suffer through no fault of their own wrong by branding CRIMINALS crazy.


The term" Evil" is applied by and interpreted by the user to discriminate against all that an entity represents without bothering with objective specifics.It's all encompassing.War has been termed "evil" ,but when sane people pursue war, by continuing to build for war, it's called sane.US society punishes individuals that practice horrendous violence on a personal level, then bestows medals on those that practice the same horrendous violence on a wholesale level.Reconciling and accepting these two "justices" is what erodes and destroys the fabric of a society.
Posted 7/18/15 , edited 7/18/15

Schmooples wrote:

I'd call existence itself evil but I believe that to be an accident, and accidents can't really be evil so far as I define the term.

Do I think people can be evil? No, not really. People are incredibly complex; so many factors go into making them who they are and deciding what they will do. To boil a person down to something so shallow and one-dimensional as "evil" is confusing to me. Of course, people do things that I strongly disagree with at times, but I'm not so absorbed in my views as to declare that my beliefs are any more valid than what others hold. People ultimately do what they believe to be the best.

Many people have been labeled as evil throughout history. Witches, Communists, Jews, Muslims, Christians, etc. I'd argue that none are evil. Murderers? I'd argue that they either had reason for doing what they did, are mentally ill, or have values different from what most do, in the same way that Christians and Muslims had different views during their heavy conflicts a few centuries back.


I can't will the murder of an innocent to be right by thinking it in my mind. And there are some things that cannot be justified. I believe its both an opinion AND sometimes a fact.

49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

scoobydew wrote:


LadyofAshes wrote:


scoobydew wrote:


pirththee wrote:


scoobydew wrote:

I think Fox news is evil and its sole existence is to create fear and spread lies or prey on the uneducated


The outrage format is designed to keep the less than affluent right from realizing they are being raped by those rich elitists that Faux News agenda serves.Like Rupert Murdoch.


We are in agreement they also invented one word catch phrases for the simple minded viewer to identify easier


All of the other news networks are just as corrupt as fox.I


I would challenge your blanket statement I watch PBS and they are not controlled by deep pockets like FOX


In fact the powers that support Faux news have tried to defund and silence PBS news many times.If you think they are not objective enough watch a couple of Shields and Brooks segments.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

LadyofAshes wrote:

I can't will the murder of an innocent to be right by thinking it in my mind. And there are some things that cannot be justified. I believe its both an opinion AND sometimes a fact.



Do you eat meat?
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

LadyofAshes wrote:

This is concerning ethics and morality than belief, and why we need to acknowledge injustice

For all intents and purposes, "evil" is true injustice,

Do you believe in justice?

***


F irst, like Bill Maher, Im an apatheist agnostic atheist, meaning don't know and don't care.

So no bullshit about religion and the supernatural, otherwise go to Aiyumega's thread about the Christian devil.

Please. Thank you.
So this thread is if you think evil of manmade origin exists , how widespread it is, and so forth.

I believe that good and evil lies within us all, and that its essential to find (and maintain) a balance. I also think that every person is capable of both, and that noone is absolutely beyond redemption if they are serious about it. This is also separate from crime, and refers to what lies within our hearts. Most will never change, but it's possible for some.

So what are your thoughts on the existence of evil? Discuss.


I think there is evil in this world. I think there are people who just want to watch the world burn even if they have to do it one victim at a time. There are others just so selfish as to see other humans as cardboard cutouts. All of them are capable of evil.

Even 'Good' people can be self-interested at times. and sometimes with the best will in the world the choices that confront you are not good versus evil, but evil versus evil.

15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 7/18/15 , edited 7/18/15

Schmooples wrote:
Do you eat meat?

Basic's of life 101

27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

pirththee wrote:

The term" Evil" is applied by and interpreted by the user to discriminate against all that an entity represents without bothering with objective specifics.It's all encompassing.War has been termed "evil" ,but when sane people pursue war, by continuing to build for war, it's called sane.US society punishes individuals that practice horrendous violence on a personal level, then bestows medals on those that practice the same horrendous violence on a wholesale level.Reconciling and accepting these two "justices" is what erodes and destroys the fabric of a society.


Just because a term has been misused, doesn't mean that an underlying condition doesn't exist.

Much of the misuse comes from a misunderstanding of what evil entails.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/evil/evilhome.html
6127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Off the map.
Offline
Posted 7/18/15
To me, good and evil is based in the intents and results of the actions a person/people performs. They are also relative to the people involved.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/18/15 , edited 7/18/15

nanikore2 wrote:


pirththee wrote:

The term" Evil" is applied by and interpreted by the user to discriminate against all that an entity represents without bothering with objective specifics.It's all encompassing.War has been termed "evil" ,but when sane people pursue war, by continuing to build for war, it's called sane.US society punishes individuals that practice horrendous violence on a personal level, then bestows medals on those that practice the same horrendous violence on a wholesale level.Reconciling and accepting these two "justices" is what erodes and destroys the fabric of a society.


Just because a term has been misused, doesn't mean that an underlying condition doesn't exist.

Much of the misuse comes from a misunderstanding of what evil entails.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/evil/evilhome.html


I disagree.People exist, evil does not..If a tree falls in a forest and no ones around.....
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 7/18/15 , edited 7/18/15

pirththee wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


pirththee wrote:

The term" Evil" is applied by and interpreted by the user to discriminate against all that an entity represents without bothering with objective specifics.It's all encompassing.War has been termed "evil" ,but when sane people pursue war, by continuing to build for war, it's called sane.US society punishes individuals that practice horrendous violence on a personal level, then bestows medals on those that practice the same horrendous violence on a wholesale level.Reconciling and accepting these two "justices" is what erodes and destroys the fabric of a society.


Just because a term has been misused, doesn't mean that an underlying condition doesn't exist.

Much of the misuse comes from a misunderstanding of what evil entails.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/evil/evilhome.html


I disagree.People exist, evil does not..If a tree falls in a forest and no ones around.....


Did you have a chance at reading the link? Give the argument a chance.

People exist alongside with their lack. When there are people, their lack of consideration exists.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 7/18/15

Freddy96NO wrote:


Schmooples wrote:
Do you eat meat?

Basic's of life 101



Meat isn't required to live, and really, vegetarian diets can be quite healthy if done properly. I'm not necessarily disparaging people who eat meat, given that I myself eat meat, but it seems weird to me that people can say that killing innocents is always evil despite living off of meat.

What religion has "evil beliefs?" Are you holding them to their beliefs or to yours, and if the later, why are your beliefs more important and just than theirs? Common sense holds little traction when many things ascribed to it rely on social conditions and upbringing (i.e., common sense isn't a universal truth). It was once considered common sense that Europeans should subjugate the Native Americans because they were "savages," and "wholly without civilization or proper morals."

Are you saying that Islam is inherently worse, as a belief system, than other religions such as Christianity? Doesn't sound very far off from the oppressive imperialistic ideas of the past.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 7/18/15 , edited 7/18/15

oh.. sorry
I meant it was the food chain I was talking about ;P (or some chain that the larger fish eats the smaller ones and so on)

And I see most religon has "evil beliefs" that will oppress ones statment or identity (gender, skin, skills and so on)
I find that muslim religon as more damaging stuff (atleast in this day and age) also they do a lot of deadly things the past years where other religons have not really done anything that bad, and where its fine to do things to females and even if they leave thier home they need to be accompany by a male or they would be "attacked" I assume?
(maybe it was only a law in country and not in religon don't remember...)
should not have used common sense ;/ but what you think is common sense I feel you would go agianst some of relgion beliefs.
Posted 7/18/15 , edited 7/18/15
An interesting article on the subject:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/the_spectator/2011/09/does_evil_exist_neuroscientists_say_no_.html

Doesn't necessarily mirror my personal views on the topic, but I will leave it at that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.