First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Does the freedom of speech have limits?
Posted 7/20/15
Freedom of speech should be absolute. Everyone should be able to say what they want when they want not because it is always going to be morally correct but because being able to determine what others say based on personal views is just insanity.
Posted 7/20/15
You can choose to exercise your freedom of speech but it may or may not be the consequence of free thought.
13496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 7/20/15
There shouldn't be but people are always trying to enforce limits on it.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/15
Of course. As with any freedom there is also responsibility that goes along with them.In the US there are volumes of court decisions and precedents that are directly applicable in determining what constitutes freedom of speech.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/15

WAKEandBAKE420 wrote:

LOL there is no such thing as completely free speech. Just check out the Espionage Act of 1917 and the Sedition Act of 1918 to name some curtails of our "freedom."



You don't have to go back that far check out the Patriot Act.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/20/15
There's a happy middle ground. People attempt to limit freedom of speech at times because they're sensitive wimps and easily offended. There's also a time when there is too much freedom and people use it to be extremely malicious to others in ways the US often defines criminal.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/20/15

D-facto wrote:

Freedom of speech should be absolute. Everyone should be able to say what they want when they want not because it is always going to be morally correct but because being able to determine what others say based on personal views is just insanity.


Interesting. So people have the right to say how they feel?
Posted 7/20/15

qualeshia3 wrote:


D-facto wrote:

Freedom of speech should be absolute. Everyone should be able to say what they want when they want not because it is always going to be morally correct but because being able to determine what others say based on personal views is just insanity.


Interesting. So people have the right to say how they feel?


People ,in theory, have the right to say anything.
14749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/20/15 , edited 7/20/15

D-facto wrote:
People ,in theory, have the right to say anything.


What happens AFTER that (arrests, firings, punches or guffaws in the face), you're on your freakin' own.
Our constitution does not hinder the liberty to act like a jackass, nor does it protect one's pants from being sued off.
8524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / M
Offline
Posted 7/20/15
Well people can say what ever they want aslong as they say it to the right audience. If someone sais a racist comment on live TV or something then its not ok. If you say it to a friend who dosen't mind or something then its ok I guess.
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/15 , edited 7/20/15
There are and must be limits on free speech. The most notable example being "falsely shouting fire in a crowded theater". If you incite a panic like that you're bound to get arrested.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/20/15

Ejanss wrote:


D-facto wrote:
People ,in theory, have the right to say anything.


What happens AFTER that (arrests, firings, punches or guffaws in the face), you're on your freakin' own.
Our constitution does not hinder the liberty to act like a jackass, nor does it protect one's pants from being sued off.


Really now?
1452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 8/21/15

dotsforlife wrote:


However, freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequence.


If only more people knew of this...
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/21/15
Try shouting "FIRE" in a theater. Tell me how it goes.
4369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 8/21/15
Free speech, as has been said before in this thread, is in place to allow criticism or voicing displeasure with the government to be legal. It's more of a protection from the government than from our fellow humans.
Now when it does come down to us regular civilians interacting with one another, there is a multitude of rules learned by growing up in our respective cultures. You can still speak your mind, say whatever you choose to or protest what you want. However there will most likely be consequences if what you're doing or saying is considered offensive or rude. If you aren't african american, you wouldn't walk up to one of them and say the N word. Or go to a catholic church and start preaching how backwards they are and not expect a group of ticked off people.
To further this, businesses are not the government. If you walked into your local fast food restaurant and started swearing loudly and constantly, chances are good you'll be asked to leave. Refusal brings the police to escort you out. If you work for a company, say McDonald's and are overheard saying racist or sexist comments and it's reported and or blows up into news coverage, you're most likely going to be fired so that the company can save face.

What it comes down to is a rule we've all probably heard. Take a second to think on the impact, both intended and unintended, before you speak.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.