First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Nicki Minaj comments on the VMAs choices for VOTY And Taylor Swift Takes It Personally
20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 7/22/15
I think it's good Anaconda wasn't nominated. And I like Nicki Minaj. And I've watched the Anaconda video many times. But not cos it's a good video, just the same reason it got the rest of its views. Personally, I think her old style was way more artistic. Starships was fun, stylish, retro, and yes, sexy. Anaconda, on the other hand, is an overrated song from twenty years ago looped, and used as the soundtrack to softcore porn.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/22/15 , edited 7/22/15

cleruninja wrote:

I think it's good Anaconda wasn't nominated. And I like Nicki Minaj. And I've watched the Anaconda video many times. But not cos it's a good video, just the same reason it got the rest of its views. Personally, I think her old style was way more artistic. Starships was fun, stylish, retro, and yes, sexy. Anaconda, on the other hand, is an overrated song from twenty years ago looped, and used as the soundtrack to softcore porn.


Baby Got Back is not overrated. I legitemately would say its one of the best rap songs of the 90s.
30 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/22/15
I think Anaconda should've been nominated because when you look back last year the only song you remember that was flashy is Fancy <--(i dont like the song) and Anaconda so yeah
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/22/15

megahobbit wrote:


Punk_Mela wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


Punk_Mela wrote:

Really the award should have gone to some undiscovered artist who hasn't slumped to selling sex over music yet. But who really cares about any of this?


>Implying music that is sexual is inherently bad
>Not knowing PJ Harvey and Lydia Lunch.


You make some pretty crazy assumptions there. I never once said music that covered sexuality was bad or even implied it. If you can't recognize the difference between an artist using sexual themes in their medium and a media product pushing sex for a cheap and easy audience than maybe you shouldn't try reading between lines so much. You'll end up finding a lot of things that just aren't there.


Im sorry if I assumed anything in your statement that wasnt there but if hanging around the indie scene for a couple years has taught me anything its that any sexual content from a female is largely written of as just "sex sells" and ugly words like "whore" and "slut" get thrown around. There is a sexist dichotomy with females artists were if there sexual there immediately written of as just selling sex and when its a male artist they are treated as just another artist.

Especially in rap music where it is common for female artists to be just as sexual as the male artists they are almost always written off as just "selling sex"

Where for you is the point where sex starts being sold over the music for you?


Truly, I have to many other things going on to really sit and decide when selling sex becomes to much, but if you put me on the spot I would say a few dozen miles back from where Nicki Minaj is now. It's one thing to use it as a motif, but I have a hard time using the word "artist" when the best allusion to male genitals you can make is "anaconda".
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/22/15

Punk_Mela wrote:

Truly, I have to many other things going on to really sit and decide when selling sex becomes to much, but if you put me on the spot I would say a few dozen miles back from where Nicki Minaj is now. It's one thing to use it as a motif, but I have a hard time using the word "artist" when the best allusion to male genitals you can make is "anaconda".


Anyone who creates art is an artist. Music is an art whether its good art is up to you.
Posted 7/22/15
This is such a stupid fight. I love both musicians and really enjoy both of their music. Taylor Swift has completely changed her sound and is actually decent now, and Nicki can be very inspiring sometimes when she's not singing about just her butt, but she can't honestly believe that Anaconda's video holds a candle to Bad Blood's video?

I love the song, but the music video is rather simple and is just girls who, literally, are all conventionally attractive in the sense that they have big boobs, a big ass, and a small waist dancing around and grinding on each other while Swift's video put a lot into it's production and isn't so simple. There is racism within the industry, no doubt about that, but in this case I'm really not sure. I feel like maybe Nicki thought she was almost entitled to the award, but it's not like she won't win others. She'll win plenty more and I'm sure her newer song Feeling Myself will be awarded as well. Sure, she missed out on one, but I just don't feel her video deserved it. it really wasn't anything special.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/22/15

megahobbit wrote:


Punk_Mela wrote:

Truly, I have to many other things going on to really sit and decide when selling sex becomes to much, but if you put me on the spot I would say a few dozen miles back from where Nicki Minaj is now. It's one thing to use it as a motif, but I have a hard time using the word "artist" when the best allusion to male genitals you can make is "anaconda".


Anyone who creates art is an artist. Music is an art whether its good art is up to you.


As supportive and family friendly as that statement is, I don't believe in handing out participation awards. Go explain to Monet or Picasso why the monkey smearing its feces on the wall is an artist just like them. People love to bring up subjective appreciation like it means anything but always seem to conveniently forget the thousands of hours real artists pour into honing technical ability.
Posted 7/22/15

Akumanomi wrote:

I care about celebrities like rappers. I love to see rappers' beefs, especially Nicki's. It's the shade that gets thrown that makes it interesting.

Anyway, I'm on Nicki's side for this, because it's pretty hard to deny that there's racism in the industry. I'm not exactly sure this is an example of it though...

lmao same.
And yeah, I was kinda trying to bring up more than Taylor's & Nicki's misunderstanding. But fail to do so.
Still funny to see all the shade Taylor getting tho lol

sundin13 wrote:


anzn wrote:
Ehh not really.
Doing that just sounds like you're doing that out of pity for that artist, or maybe even spite.


Giving the award to the person who actually deserves it is pity...interesting how your mind works.


anzn wrote:
Nicki (non-white women) speak about this stuff all the time, and mentions it all the time. But they never get attention for it..


I think the impact of your words gets weakened a bit when you make songs with lyrics like "his dick bigger than a tower" and "Fuck you if you skinny bitches.".

Taylor is a role model for a lot of young women and girls while Nikki is just crazy. Do you listen to her music? She is off the rails. If you want to talk about a women of color being a role model and getting attention for bringing attention to feminism, look no further than Beyonce who (surprise) was nominated for VOTY....

How do they deserve it? Nicki & Beyonce deserve them because they actually worked hard for their fame & make use out if it to get a word out as well.

Also, just bc a song by someone turns out to be inheritally sexual and/or someone sexually empowers themselves shouldn't be a reason to lose respect for someone or overlook things they say we've been thru this lol

You kidding? T-Swift is a terrible remodel. She's the physical entity of white feminism tbh.
She's so selfish and cares about no one but herself, honestly.
She's the one off the rails tbh. Idk how you can say that about Nicki when Taylor did this and is doing NOTHING about what the media is saying about Nicki & the whole thing.
It hurts me so much that Nicki gets so much hate, and has been since the start of her career. She's probably one of the sweetest celebrities ever.
She cares about her fans, and encourages them to do better, be independent, and love themselves.
But nah. She makes songs like Anaconda, and expresses her sexuality, therefore we shouldn't respect her and just hate her and continue to enforce the angry black women stereotype on her.
This is exactly what Nicki has been saying too, and its people like you who uses those in attempts to overshadow & invalidate what she tries to say. :/
Posted 7/22/15 , edited 7/22/15

Punk_Mela wrote:
Truly, I have to many other things going on to really sit and decide when selling sex becomes to much, but if you put me on the spot I would say a few dozen miles back from where Nicki Minaj is now. It's one thing to use it as a motif, but I have a hard time using the word "artist" when the best allusion to male genitals you can make is "anaconda".

Nicki actually worked to get where she is. Anaconda was meant to tell people if the sexual objectication of women & misogyny in rap music. By basically doing a role switch, where the men are being objectified instead of women.
And point out sexism in the music, because Nicki is getting so much shit for doing the same thing men do in the music industry.
Trust me, she didn't get to where she is now by just sex alone. If that was the case, people like you, who think she did, wouldn't exist.
If it was that easy Nicki would of been big a long time ago tbh.

Also, there is never enough sex selling in my eyes.
Sex has sold ever since sex was seen as a legitimate business back in very early human civilizations.
Its 2015 when are people gonna realize selling sex ain't a bad thing at all?
6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 7/22/15
People vote on stuff like this, Nicki Minaj should be mad at the voters then. lol I'm not a fan of either, but people get upset over stuff like that. It's like a contest, everyone don't win and everyone don't win all the time. I never won a contest and I've worked hard, I just have to keep working harder if I really want the prize. The other person wins then they won it fair in square.
6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 7/22/15

Oreolegends wrote:

I think Anaconda should've been nominated because when you look back last year the only song you remember that was flashy is Fancy <--(i dont like the song) and Anaconda so yeah


Those are catchy songs, the people I know that sings those songs makes fun of it. lol Songs that are written by the artist and has moral and value along with very good talent singing and instrumental are the real songs something like John Legends "all of you" are the real deal then some anaconda crap that was rewritten from a classic song. That's taking someone else's good shit and turning it into actual shit. lmao Artist don't even have to write the song but are able to fit the lyrics perfectly is good too.
Posted 7/22/15

jackrabbit92 wrote:

People vote on stuff like this, Nicki Minaj should be mad at the voters then. lol I'm not a fan of either, but people get upset over stuff like that. It's like a contest, everyone don't win and everyone don't win all the time. I never won a contest and I've worked hard, I just have to keep working harder if I really want the prize. The other person wins then they won it fair in square.

Votes can get rigged too you know.
6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 7/22/15 , edited 7/22/15

anzn wrote:


jackrabbit92 wrote:

People vote on stuff like this, Nicki Minaj should be mad at the voters then. lol I'm not a fan of either, but people get upset over stuff like that. It's like a contest, everyone don't win and everyone don't win all the time. I never won a contest and I've worked hard, I just have to keep working harder if I really want the prize. The other person wins then they won it fair in square.

Votes can get rigged too you know.


How? If you look on youtube at their videos it tells who has more views in that time frame needed.
Posted 7/22/15

jackrabbit92 wrote:


anzn wrote:


jackrabbit92 wrote:

People vote on stuff like this, Nicki Minaj should be mad at the voters then. lol I'm not a fan of either, but people get upset over stuff like that. It's like a contest, everyone don't win and everyone don't win all the time. I never won a contest and I've worked hard, I just have to keep working harder if I really want the prize. The other person wins then they won it fair in square.

Votes can get rigged too you know.


How? If you look on youtube at their videos it tells who has more views in that time frame needed.

Views don't really determine if something's good or not.
Especially on YouTube.

Also Anaconda did too first, and hold onto that record for a long time. I bet another song soon will brake the VEVO record soon & blow Taylors "Original" video out.
Seriously... until Taylor say something about that I ain't gonna shut up about it.

6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 7/22/15 , edited 7/22/15

anzn wrote:


jackrabbit92 wrote:


anzn wrote:


jackrabbit92 wrote:

People vote on stuff like this, Nicki Minaj should be mad at the voters then. lol I'm not a fan of either, but people get upset over stuff like that. It's like a contest, everyone don't win and everyone don't win all the time. I never won a contest and I've worked hard, I just have to keep working harder if I really want the prize. The other person wins then they won it fair in square.

Votes can get rigged too you know.


How? If you look on youtube at their videos it tells who has more views in that time frame needed.

Views don't really determine if something's good or not.
Especially on YouTube.

Also Anaconda did too first, and hold onto that record for a long time. I bet another song soon will brake the VEVO record soon & blow Taylors "Original" video out.
Seriously... until Taylor say something about that I ain't gonna shut up about it.



Like I said, I'm not a fan of either nicki or tylor, I don't know how she's more famous than Nicki other then she's been out before Nicki. It's like Kanye was piss at Beck for winning an award and that piss me off because Beck deserved that award. Anaconda was a rip off of an old classic song, too. It's not the first time someone rip off a song even if they paid to take the song and rewrite it into theirs, still it's a rip off. lol It's like that rapper (idk he's name) bought rights to take Modest Mouse beat from one of he's songs. Why he got more views for someone elses work?

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.