First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Why Do People Demonize Mental Illnesses?
22761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/25/15
People are uneducated when it comes to mental illness (heck, many who have a mental illness don't even realize it).
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 7/25/15 , edited 7/25/15

reaperx- wrote:



papagolfwhiskey wrote:


underlock wrote:

People who kill tend to be demonised as you say.


Yes cuase all killers are mentally ill, and all mentally ill are killers. Thank you for illustrating the OP's point.




Anyone who thinks its ok to kill another human being is mentally ill.

I wonder if you actually believe that at a subconscious level, or if you actually think that way. I guarantee that you'd think it's okay to kill someone if they murdered your family in front of you.


Perhaps I should have been more clear. I was referring to those who kill for personal gain. Defending oneself and those around you is not what I am referring to.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/25/15 , edited 7/25/15

reaperx- wrote:


I wonder if you actually believe that at a subconscious level, or if you actually think that way. I guarantee that you'd think it's okay to kill someone if they murdered your family in front of you.



Posted 7/25/15

Irishsushi wrote:

Anyone who thinks its ok to kill another human being is mentally ill.



That would make everyone who supports the death penalty mentally ill, and that is very obviously not true. You don't have to be mentally ill to murder someone, plenty of people who weren't mentally ill murdered people.
17873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Online
Posted 7/25/15
People tend to fear what they don't understand and hate what they fear
6293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / *echo sound effec...
Offline
Posted 7/25/15
2 words: They're different.

To elaborate, many people aren't comfortable with change (hence why conservatism is called conservatism.it tries to conserve what's there and keep it the same) so when they see someone who is different, they try to cast them aside instead of understanding. And because the number of people who are not mentally ill is higher than those who are, it creates the idea of superiority so that the people who don't understand it, don't have to learn about it because they are above those who are mentally ill. This is the case for most things like race, gender, sexuality, illness, etc.

It's easy to sympathize with someone with a broken bone because feeling physical pain is more common. Trying to understand what someone who is bipolar is going through is tough because you don't know what it's like. In addition, since you can't see it right off the bat and don't know someone is sick, one wouldn't take that person seriously. This usually is the problem when it comes to these things, people don't try to understand what's going through the other person's head and instead sees it from their own point of view.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 7/25/15
People demonize mental illnesses because they are what you call..


A Douchebag
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/25/15
Cause alot of media portrays them as scary. My mom and dad are both pretty big on treating people who are mentally ill having worked with them(My parents actually met at a camp for mentally ill kids).
14916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 7/25/15
It's because people see it portrayed in the media, especially the news, as a psycho killer who goes on a rampage. They don't see the children suffering from depression, etc. Nor do they see people who have lived through abuse and the toll that it has taken on their lives.

Having a father who was physically abused, I've seen how that has really shaped him as a person. I feel sorry for families whose children have done something bad (ie. Kill others) and the parents tried their hardest to get that child the consoling and medicine they needed to control those emotions and actions, but despite all their attempts, were unable to prevent the atrocity. That really tears me up.
Posted 7/25/15

Dabossman26 wrote:

2 words: They're different.

To elaborate, many people aren't comfortable with change (hence why conservatism is called conservatism.it tries to conserve what's there and keep it the same) so when they see someone who is different, they try to cast them aside instead of understanding. And because the number of people who are not mentally ill is higher than those who are, it creates the idea of superiority so that the people who don't understand it, don't have to learn about it because they are above those who are mentally ill. This is the case for most things like race, gender, sexuality, illness, etc.

It's easy to sympathize with someone with a broken bone because feeling physical pain is more common. Trying to understand what someone who is bipolar is going through is tough because you don't know what it's like. In addition, since you can't see it right off the bat and don't know someone is sick, one wouldn't take that person seriously. This usually is the problem when it comes to these things, people don't try to understand what's going through the other person's head and instead sees it from their own point of view.


Agree with this.
Airvh 
5182 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/26/15
A really messed up thing about playing MMO games is running into players who are normal most of the time but then sometimes if they forgot to take their medication they get really messed up.
We actually ended up needing to kick a dude from our guild because he kept forgetting to take his medication and he would do stupid stuff in game and in chat during those times. We warned him several times though just to be nice.
4498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 7/26/15
Mental illness is hard to comprehend even the pyschs have trouble diagnosing people correctly. The average person will have some symptoms that are like those of a mentally ill person except it's minimal and doesn't end up causing long term distress or prevent a person functioning normally. Some can be prone to some mental illness by inheriting it from parents. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll get it. Certain conditions must happen to trigger the illness. Media only picks out the rare scary dangerous ones so that ends up stereo typing general mental illness.
6146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Off the map.
Offline
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15
tkayt hit on the nail. These people tend to lose support from their friends and families, particularly the extreme cases. In light to moderate cases, patients don't lose a lot of support, especially those in families of strong religious background.
Some times, the reason the person loses support it because they get to a point they think their cured. They decide they can end treatment without a doctor's consent. This can make they worse off than before, especially if they suffered from a traumatic cause like child molestation for example. This yo-yo type case is hard on those in a romantic relationship.
Other times the disorder is extremely mild, and patients can make use of treatments that do not use drugs. Getting treatment without a drug's side effects can be a good thing, look at the drug adds running on tv. One example of very mild non-drug treatment or part of it is talking to other people (being sociable).
As far as demonizing, the media plays a part, but it is also trying to fix the damage done. Using the word illness is another. If you want a mental illness, there are rare cases of brain eating bacteria. Call it a Mental Disorder. Lastly, listen to what a person has to say once they open up and don't be closed minded. Once you hardline your opinion of someone with a mental disorder, you are potentially type casting yourself.
17410 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Croatia
Offline
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15
People hate what they cannot understand. It's that simple. They're also too lazy to educate themselves, because it's easier to hate on someone than try to help.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.