First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Not-me-ism
27373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 7/23/15 , edited 7/23/15
All the -isms out there, all the "rankism" (it's an actual term someone somewhere along the line invented) all boil down to just one and only ONE ultimate thing............

You're not me.

When you're not ME, I'm going to find something in you to pick on until you turn into a carbon-exact copy of me!

This of course unattainable end goal is the source of all -isms and all conflicts.

Let's say for the sake of discussion that even if you ARE a carbon copy of me, that's still not going to do it...

...Because you're over THERE and I'm over HERE!

We are separate, thus there is still the issue of me, which is the non-other, and you, the "other thing".

Even if we occupy the same space, same body, it won't help. You are still the other. You are not me.

This ultimate of -isms, this "not-me-ism", pervades all.

My coworkers and I joked about not-me-ism (we don't use that term, I just invented it here on the spot) one day at the company cafeteria.

Coworker: *starts to peel banana*

Me: Hey, how come you're peeling it from the opposite end?

Coworker: ...That's the way I've always peeled it.

Coworker2: I've never seen anyone peel it that way either.

Me: SEE?! Only commies peel their bananas that way.

(insert subsequent bored jokes regarding Banana McCarthyism here)

You would be ostracized for wrong(ing) bananas
You would be virtually crapped on for the wrong cell phone operating system
You would be pounced for liking the wrong anime
You can make the rest of the endless list

That's all

51569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
You're wrong because you're not me.
Posted 7/23/15
HUH?
18608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
You're wrong because you actually are me, and I know for a fact that I made all of this up.
Posted 7/23/15
27373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 7/23/15

Lowlights wrote:

You're wrong because you actually are me, and I know for a fact that I made all of this up.


..............but then you'd be disagreeing with yourself
6723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
Yes, we all see our own opinions as facts. But I would quantify this. The more strongly held the opinion, the more likely a difference is to agitate us. The more dramatically opposed, the more likely to agitate us. Finally, someone failing to like something I do generally agitates me far less than someone liking something I am averse to.
For example, the best flavour of instant oatmeal is strawberries and cream. I don't eat oatmeal very often, so if you tell me I'm wrong, oh well.
Now, if you say peaches and cream is the best flavor, that's still in the fruit and cream category, so whatever. But if you say the best flavor is apple cinnamon... now you seem kinda weird to me. Still tho, oh well...
BUT, if you look me in the eye and tell me the best flavour is maple & brown sugar... now you just pissed me off. You suddenly appear as a raving lunatic to me. I cannot accept this. Seriously, why does anyone like maple flavoured anything? It smells bad and tastes weird.
13153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/15

nanikore2 wrote:

SEE?! Only commies peel their bananas that way.


Brilliant
8389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
You're so bad at describing an easy view.
27254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
You mean criticism?
18608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/23/15

nanikore2 wrote:


Lowlights wrote:

You're wrong because you actually are me, and I know for a fact that I made all of this up.


..............but then you'd be disagreeing with yourself


And?
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/15
The auditory equivalent of my brain after reading the OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4g2Zjolsa0
27373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 7/23/15 , edited 7/23/15

cleruninja wrote:

Yes, we all see our own opinions as facts. But I would quantify this. The more strongly held the opinion, the more likely a difference is to agitate us. The more dramatically opposed, the more likely to agitate us. Finally, someone failing to like something I do generally agitates me far less than someone liking something I am averse to.
For example, the best flavour of instant oatmeal is strawberries and cream. I don't eat oatmeal very often, so if you tell me I'm wrong, oh well.
Now, if you say peaches and cream is the best flavor, that's still in the fruit and cream category, so whatever. But if you say the best flavor is apple cinnamon... now you seem kinda weird to me. Still tho, oh well...
BUT, if you look me in the eye and tell me the best flavour is maple & brown sugar... now you just pissed me off. You suddenly appear as a raving lunatic to me. I cannot accept this. Seriously, why does anyone like maple flavoured anything? It smells bad and tastes weird.


Anchovies and brussel sprouts, the oatmeal of champions.


Lowlights wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


Lowlights wrote:

You're wrong because you actually are me, and I know for a fact that I made all of this up.


..............but then you'd be disagreeing with yourself


And?


But you can't do that, because then you'd be saying that I'm right.
Posted 7/23/15
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.